It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Bread From Walmart.....

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
If you freeze your bread, you won't have to worry about the mold
, even homemade bread.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by eriktheawful

Sounds like a good recipes I will definetly try this one out........do I need to have a stone in the oven?

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Numbers33four
I wondered what was up when I went to walmart the other day and there was this guy outside screaming "Its people! Walmart bread is people!"

Fee-fi-fo-fum,
I smell the blood of an Englishman,
Be he live, or be he dead
I'll grind his bones to make my bread

edit on 10-7-2012 by Pedro4077 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   

That got my attention too. I was on the road for 3 weeks with a bag of sandwich bread bought at wallmart in the back of my truck the whole time. Up the coast and into the Northern California woods in a 10 year old chevy with bad weather stripping- every chance to be exposed to all kinds of moisture and spores... it made the one month mark easily. I was pretty surprised. I'm used to everything I buy going bad before I can finish it alone, but not this time.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by MeesterB

For all those years of griping it never occurred to anybody that they'd be embalming our food with things so unnatural we couldn't bring ourselves to give them pronounceable names. I'd break into the museum and take a bite out of king tut's flank before I worked up the courage to go into a factory and see what I'm really putting in my body everyday. I don't even know if I wanna know.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
I keep a big batch of dough in the fridge - there's a book called Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day - but here's how you do it in a nutshell if you don't want to buy the book, and this has some savings tips...

wiresplice.com... -easy-way/

Now, to get a more sandwich type loaf - you need a pan that can support your dough as it rises.

This is a totally different approach to bread making but it works, and it lets us have fresh homemade bread every day without a lot of work or waiting.

The reason that bread doesn't rise is the preservatives. There's one in particular that keeps bread from molding.
Propionic acid is used sometimes, which can make you SICK. Sulfer Dioxide, Calcium, sodium, and potassium Propionate, and some other that I forget.

I don't want any of that crap.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Strange that you post this now or just that I see this now.

Maybe a week ago, while at my mom's house I started making a sandwich. Normally she buys her bread from Walmart, sometimes Food Lion.

I laid out two pieces of bread and turned to get some turkey out of the fridge, and then this terrible, chemical smell hit me. I started looking around the kitchen for the source of the smell. I checked under the sink to see if any cleaning chemicals had spilled, back in the fridge to see if anything was leaking. Nothing.

I looked at the open bread and sniffed it, and there it was. It almost smelled like finger nail polish remover and walnuts (?) kind of. I threw the two pieces away and checked the date on the bread. Still soft, not a speck of mold, but it was almost 3 weeks passed it's expiration date.

Later when I was on the phone with my mom I mentioned I threw the bread out because it smelled strange. She had made a sandwich for lunch that morning before work and said she smelled something as well, but didn't realize it was coming from the bread. She said "It looked fine. I didn't realize it was that out of date." Luckily, she did throw the sandwich out.

I've been reading labels more lately, and the more I read the more I want to step away from anything store bought.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by jacktorrance

Everything I've ever seen with a Walmart "great value" label on it was expired before it ever got home. It seems to be an important part of their business strategy, and I guess they are getting "better" at it. Go start checking out labels- check the date and color of the spray cheese- that's the most striking, and the first thing I noticed, then I started to notice a lot of other stuff. Squishy fruit textures I've never seen before that still hadn't spoiled for example- very distinct in the strawberries. The only exception seems to be the milk- it always goes bad before the date- but that could just be the fridge setting I suppose.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Kind of reminds me of McDonalds. Preppers should stock up on this stuff.

edit on 11-7-2012 by Pedro4077 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 05:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by SloAnPainful
I'm eating a sandwich with bread from Target (as I'm reading this
). But It is really good, if I had the supplies I would make my own but I lack the equipment.

Great thread!

-SAP-
edit on 10-7-2012 by SloAnPainful because: (no reason given)

all you need is an oven a bowl and ingredients
sour dough is the best

Google sourdough bread recipe
edit on 11-7-2012 by pillock because: Google link was bad

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Some breads have preservatives in it, some don't.

I actually prefer the bread with preservatives since sometimes a bag can be open at home for a week or two - this is often where bread without any preservatives would be already moldy.

I am not saying to go for foods with preservatives, artificial ingredients etc..in fact most of them are bad for you....but sliced bread can simply VERY QUICKLY get moldy.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pedro4077

She said six months and the dude is cracking up laighing and says six years. I know thats probably been noticed before, but it's hilarious he gets away with it.

I wouldn't test a mcdonalds burger after six months. its because of walmarts loaf bread that I don't eat it anymore and I know the nutrients from bread, I'm lacking for sure

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 06:59 AM
link   
reply to post by iLoGiCViZiOnS

I've never baked my bread with a stone in the oven and it turns out just fine, so it's up to you.

-----------------------------

Everyone else, thanks for the replies. It's nice to know I'm not crazy. Hehehehehe.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 07:13 AM
link   
We have a brand of bread here in South Africa, named Albany.... It's the same story with their bread, it just doesn't go off.... it stays soft for weeks. It does eventually mold though. Maybe because I live by the beach and the air is damp, but only after WEEKS.

When I buy my gluten free bread from the health shop, it's stale the next day. I like it that way though, I just buy the mini loaves now. But at least I know whats in there.

This thread reminds me of that Mc Donnalds experiment where the nutritionist left it on her shelf for months on end, only to find it looking exactly the same. Scary!

EDIT.
I see most of us remember the Mc D's experiment!
edit on 11-7-2012 by Tripple_Helix because: add

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   
I bought exactly once bread at a supermarket, actually it was some bread rolls. First of all they didn't taste good, very plain and second i left some over and after 2 days they were still rather soft. Unlike the bread and bread rolls i usually buy at a real bakery that has been around for 60 years, they bake everything fresh on the spot there every day - their bread rolls getting stale after 1 day. Bread is getting stale after about 2-3 days depending on the type of bread.
I take this over bread that 'stays fresh for a week', because god knows what chemical crap is needed to let it stay 'fresh'.

Topics like this and reading the responds always get me shocked about how little people are actually interested in what they eat
edit on 11/7/2012 by ShadowAngel85 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   

All store bought foods have preservatives including bread. Food Manufacturers are always looking for ways to make food have a longer shelf life.

I personally feel that these preservatives and processed foods are causing the obesity epidemic and possibly the increase in type 2 diabetes. I question if these chemicals in these foods are being absorbed by the body and are causing it to trigger an increase in the creation of fat cells.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Your walmart is wierd then. The bread from my walmart goes stale in a week and will mold in a week and a half. If i dont get it eaten within 4 days it starts going stale and i hate stale bread.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Cut down your gluten intake or avoid it completely. Your diet should amount to mostly fresh vegetables and fruit, legumes and beans. I don't know why people still continue to consume dairy products especially made from cow's milk. Goats milk is best or shoot straight for pure coconut milk.

I enjoy handmade bread too, use gluten free flour. There are also plenty of recipes online where you can add fresh vegetables, olives etc.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pedro4077

Now you see one of the many things corporations make that people consume and it kills them. I heard macdonalds french fries will not biodegrade for 10,000 years, they fossilize.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Calcium Propionate is the most common preservative used in bread.

I agree with the OP, I have been making my own bread for years. I went on a week long camping trip at the end of June and took a loaf of store bread, it tasted bad from the start and I immediately wished for the stuff we make at home.

There are lots of chemicals to look out for in mass produced bread. They use chemicals for texture, taste, preservative, fluffiness.. They even put potassium bromate in bread. Look it up.

And as someone else mentioned, all you need to cook basic bread is yeast, sugar/honey, flour, salt, measuring cup, mixing bowl, and a tiny amount of oil to prevent sticking as your bread rises. Mixers are nice but if you make enough bread by hand you can call it a workout.

ETA: Oh, and an oven. =]
edit on 11-7-2012 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join