It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another Cloud Photo Thread...but I've not seen one like this one...have you?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I have posted storm photos before, storm clouds and lightening photos to be exact
(here's one such thread if you find yourself with nothing else to do).

With that, I always like to frequent the many cloud photo threads that get posted on ATS as there are quite a few intriguing cloud phenomena that occur. I have seen quite a few spectacular cloud formations in these threads. Although most are easily explained, some are still spectacular to view and nonetheless can sometimes be rather rare events.

On that note, we just had a seemingly typical summer storm roll in due to tropical moisture coming in from the SE here in central Florida (affecting primarily Pinellas up through Hernando Counties) earlier this evening.

The local ABC Meteorologist (Denis Phillips) has a personal Facebook page and was showing photos that viewers were snapping and posting on his front page as the storm blew through. There were a few funnel clouds captured, along with a number of other ominous looking storm cloud photos but none were necessarily out of the ordinary for a typical Florida summer thunderstorm (I express that as a lifelong Florida Native and have seen my fair share of thunderstorms).

However, one photo that was posted was causing a bit of a stir not only on the page but as the broadcast ran and I must say, I have never seen anything like this. I am very familiar with the area and know the exact spot it was taken. I saved the image directly from the Facebook post and uploaded it to ATS. To the best of my knowledge this photo hasn't been altered (I am pretty sure the Power Ball jackpot for Wednesday is currently at 80 Mil lol).

The meteorologist wasn't even sure what was causing this effect exactly. He was adamant that it wasn't a funnel cloud however. I wanted to post it here, one to share the amazing photo, two to perhaps get input from those familiar with the field of study to perhaps shed some light (no pun) on what may be causing this effect. Here is the photo in question, the area of interest is middle left just above the signal light bar that goes across the picture and below the street light...

My opinion, well I am not sure as I said but, what I see is a ring that would seemingly be a perfect circle if the angle were to have been dead on as opposed to the angle the photo was taken at. To me, it does appear to have a vortexesque appearance and I know tornado's start out horizontal, but I am not too sure to be honest, the weatherman was pretty interested in the photo and what it was and seemed pretty sure at what it wasn't (funnel cloud).

Thoughts?
edit on 7/10/2012 by UberL33t because: title edit to pose in form of a question.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I've lived in Florida most of my 52 years as well, and I have never seen anything like this. Thanks for sharing it with us.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
... Now I've seen it all: the sky actually goatse'd itself.

I have to admit that's pretty darn odd though.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by visualmiscreant

You're quite welcome. You are 14 years my senior, but agreed, seemingly nothing that one sees with everyday "could set your clock by" Florida afternoon thunderstorms.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
This might be a silly question but are you sure it is not something in the lens? It's just if you look at the bottom of the circle you see a lighter part of the cloud that carries on outside of the circle, if you get me.. That makes me think that it is an artifact or something on the lens.

Edit: Yeah I would say it's a spot of rain on the lens for sure.
edit on 10-7-2012 by mee30 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by mee30

I thought of that, I also thought it has to be some type of reflection perhaps in the windshield. But, if you look outside the whitish ring, the more dark blue clouds seem to form to the circular shape. It could very well be a trick on the eyes, but the person that posted it on facebook didn't mention any reflections or otherwise that I read.

I would post the link to the facebook page but unfortunately I am not a member and had my girlfriend log on to the page so I could save the picture.

ETA: Not sure about the rain, as where she is located, the storm had not yet reached. What you're seeing is the leading edge. I am not saying it isn't entirely impossible it's not something on the lens, but I would think that rain drops would be visible on the windshield as well as on the other cars, but again, something on the lens is not entirely out of the question I agree.
edit on 7/10/2012 by UberL33t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
It looks like a raindrop, it has been raining. The pave shows that.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

Well if you look at the top of the circle the darker part does not fit exactly round with the circle, it goes off slightly further to the left. The rain drop is making the rest look slightly lighter where in fact it would be darker blue... It isn't a reflection no.

Sorry to burst your bubble, feel kinda bad now... But that is what it is without a doubt.

Edit: When rain is about to begin you get the odd spot here and there...

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by mee30 and to post by smurfy

After looking closer due to your input and a little playing in Photoshop, I do believe you're both spot on.

Mystery solved I do believe, great work you two.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   

The first mystery I ever helped solve! I feel so proud!

Where do they hand out the medals round here?

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by mee30

Well I starred all your posts...that's about the extent of my medal granting privileges.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I love clouds...but what else would you expect form a sky god?

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Wow, my first stars that are actually warranted! I feel so honored, do I do a little speech now or...?

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by mee30

You must be on cloud nine!

Couldn't resist.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by mithrawept

Ha Ha Oh I most certainly have my head in the clouds, thats for sure!

But seriously don't rain on my parade here!

Sorry, neither could I...

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by mee30
This might be a silly question but are you sure it is not something in the lens? It's just if you look at the bottom of the circle you see a lighter part of the cloud that carries on outside of the circle, if you get me.. That makes me think that it is an artifact or something on the lens.

Edit: Yeah I would say it's a spot of rain on the lens for sure.

I was thinkin the same thing but, if you look at the wire at bottom of the circle, you can see two crows sitting there. They appear to be in front of the circle. could be just how im seeing it though too.

ETA:No...no its a rain drop i just went and looked some more i just wasnt lookin at it right, i can see it now. sorry bout that...

Peace
edit on 07/16/2009 by Lichter daraus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   

I would say it's a spot of rain on the lens for sure.

Yes, that's exactly what it looks like to me

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   

I don't think that it's a drop of water on the lens.

If you look closely, there are some power lines visible in front of the interesting part of the cloud. If it was a drop of water on the lens, the lines would be distorted, but they are not.

Whilst I'm interested in the weather and photographing atmospheric phenomena, I haven't come across anything exactly like this before, but I think the shape suggests some kind of toroidal ("doughnut" shaped) vortex.

Although not quite the same as we see in the photograph in the OP, there is a fairly rare phenomena known as a horseshoe-vortex which is occasionally photographed, and may be related to what we are seeing here IMO.

edit on 11-7-2012 by FireballStorm because: typo

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
nice capture, interesting

CX

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Well if you look at the top of the circle the darker part does not fit exactly round with the circle, it goes off slightly further to the left.

But with a cloud, we wouldn't expect it to be perfect and in aligmment would we? So if it's off a little bit isn't that just a sign that it's a cloud that is just very neatly shaped?

CX.

new topics

top topics

join