It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

We not an "it" but are actually integral to an eternal cosmic evolutionary process.

My view is that of an evolutionary Christian mystic.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by NewAgeMan

My view is that of an evolutionary Christian mystic.

One third of your view disagrees with the other two thirds. How's that working out for you?

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

There's no evolution without a little tension, and a continual process of differentiation, and reintegration.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by jiggerj

You've never known a man to walk on water either. Doesn't mean it hasn't happened.

Well, I have never known a man that wasn't human, either.

Michael Jordan?

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   

I'm what one would consider a Christian mystic too. The term doesn't have anything to do with magic.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

I'm what one would consider a Christian mystic too. The term doesn't have anything to do with magic.

Something along the lines of this? The Christian Mystic Explained

Or more like this? The Metaphysics of Mysticism: a Philosophical Commentary on St. John of the Cross

I've long been fascinated with this aspect of Christianity, largely because I just don't get it, and I'm kinda envious of that. My wife was a fan of John of the Cross and St. Teresa. But it seems like a lot of the online "Christian Mystics" that I run into are scam artists, touting a very non-Christian world view.

I make up for not really "getting" that 1/3 of the proposition by being a Christian evolutionist -- between the two of us, we've got that challenge covered, lol.
edit on 11-7-2012 by adjensen because: clarification

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

Here is a clue. In Matthew 4:4 the Greek term used for "word" isn't Logos. It's Rhema. Do you know much Greek brother? And I'm all about finding the hidden secrets underlying the text of the Bible. Examples being ELS codes and the heptadic structure of the text itself, OT Christophanies et cetra.

"It's the glory of God to conceal a matter and the honor of kings to search a matter out." (Paraphrased)

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Do you know much Greek brother?

Sadly, no. It appears that foreign language (well, human language -- I'm proficient in at least a dozen programming languages) skipped a generation in my family. My father and daughter are both proficient in German (it's my daughter's major, in fact, along with biochemistry -- I joke that she's setting herself up for a job at Bayer and nowhere else, lol) but I can barely ask how to get to the bathroom, even after three years of schooling. So, though I've made an effort here and there, I leave the original Greek, Hebrew and Latin to those who really understand them and hope for a decent translation.
edit on 11-7-2012 by adjensen because: oopsies

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Okay... relevant to Matthew 4:4... Logos is "word" in English. Rhema is also "word" in English. Yet in Greek logos refers to two things. Written words that were once uttered and the left-brained process of forming words to speak. Rhema mans SPOKEN words, or words presently and actively being spoken.

Now consider Matthew 4:4

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

I think I gotcha. And I think that is a much more interesting slant on Mt 4:4 than a typical interpretation.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Okay... relevant to Matthew 4:4... Logos is "word" in English. Rhema is also "word" in English. Yet in Greek logos refers to two things. Written words that were once uttered and the left-brained process of forming words to speak. Rhema mans SPOKEN words, or words presently and actively being spoken.

I think the last line here is what the lexicon will back up, where apparently the main difference between the two words is that one is a complete thing, and the other is ongoing.
I don't know where you get the left brain thing or why that would have any relevance.

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by jmdewey60

Because the left brain process of forming words might also be where our morality and spirituality come into - oh wait, that's right brain.

Never mind.

Although that last line leaves a lot to be desires. Personally, I wouldn't take anyone's sermon entirely for granted, because they are going to pick the sermons and ideas that appeal most to them. Additionally, many people quote the Bible without using actual Bible quotes.
edit on 12-7-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Magic Johnson?

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   

There is purpose to life, we just can't see eternity from here.

I was in a car wreck 30 years ago that I should of died in 4 minutes from a completely severed aorta. It was held together by thin air before placing a graft in me. The doctor said "We have no explanation for you, you should be dead but here you are. You threw science out the window." I walk with 2 cains and have a bone on bone knee that cannot be replaced because of both nerve damage and poor circulation, a result of the car wreck. I was studied by 2 universities for 3 months in Chicago while recovering. I was up for grand rounds at Northwestern and had every doctor and proffesor lined up at my wheel chair wanting to shake my hand for good luck.

The only memory I have between driving and waking up in ICU was being in a place between this world and the next. I was mad saying don't take me until my 1 and 2 year old kids grow up. I was in the presence of God and given a choice to come back or go on. I was shown my leg problems and going through a nasty divorce. It was a contract. I was placed in front of the white light and told to touch it. I had no body or physical form but rather spirit who could see all around. I had no arm but yet was able to reach out and touch it. Wow, love, joy, contentment, family, good like we have never experienced before, the real stuff not the shadow of it we live in here. I was ripped from it and placed in the middle ground and told to choose. Heaven was going nowhere but life in this world and the opportunity to bring good into the world through it would be gone forever. I asked if I went back down if I would be here again and the answer was "That's up to you". I decided that I could not let that life go to waste and from that perspective it would only be a snap of a finger long. I had no knowledge of pain, suffering or anything that could be against me, everything there was for you. I had no memory of anything bad ever happening to me period. This made the choice easier to make. When I choose to come back down I felt a smile from God for that choice that was greater than heaven. Once back I felt pain at a level never experienced by me before and in time which last much longer than a snap of a finger. I cannot describe what I experienced for there are no words good enough to give it any justice. I do know now that life in this world is one grain of sand and the next is a desert full. You can remove one grain and never notice it missing but you cannot make a desert out of one grain.

We are given a choice to have an identity that transends everything we know. To be transformed from the physical to the immortal. No matter what happens here, it will be like it never happened and matter no more for an eternity. All the people who grab onto life so dearly here at other's expence will not make it to the next. Those who believe they are more than thought and feeling caring about others as themselves have the best chance of a freedom unlike any other that will never end. I have been there and know what comes next for those who believe in we. I also know what happens to the people who need to be better than someone else, they leave this world and find themselves in a world that they are their own king and kingdom being alone forever. They got a totality of what they made important here. We who are for each other and good will also get a totality of it being together and equally sharing total good and love forever. A totality of what we stood for here. Evil wants us to give up on good and grow bitter. It wants us to care only about ourselves. The people who participate and work for those who want to control us have a very short time of security in life thinking they are protecting themselves by working for evil or the ones in power. They will loose everything in the end for their choices.

So in the end no matter what is imposed on our live's here, no one can take away our true freedom or our choice to live in it for an eternity. Let them do what they want here for we don't want them with us later.

A Voice in the Wilderness

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewAgeMan

Magic Johnson?

Right, cuz he played for the Lakers not the Mystics.

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by jmdewey60

I think the last line here is what the lexicon will back up, where apparently the main difference between the two words is that one is a complete thing, and the other is ongoing.
I don't know where you get the left brain thing or why that would have any relevance.

Because speech is formed in the left hemisphere of the brain. And in Greek logos refers to also words being thought of. Like if this phase were in Greek the term for "word" would be Logos:

"I can't think of the correct word to use for that."

posted on Jul, 13 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by adjensen

I think I gotcha. And I think that is a much more interesting slant on Mt 4:4 than a typical interpretation.

The key is usually in the details my friend.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join