It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mickierocksman
We are just a smart animal – that is all that we are & we are completely insignificant.

The meaning of life for all animals (lifeforms) is to live and then reproduce.

However, we have an added bonus of being smart enough to realise to make the most of our life while we live it.

Because after our life is over, there is nothing more…… and life is short.

Unless you have a child, which is partly made from your DNA - they carry who you were and if you’re a good parent, they will remember you and will pass that down to their children – so on and so forth. That's the only way you can 'live forever'.....

I’m not angry that we have been put here to live, learn, love and reproduce before we die – why would you be?

Mickierocksman

If what you're saying were true, we would have no emotions and the universe would not exist.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by michael1983l
reply to post by Akragon

There is no meaning, there is no before life, there is no after life, there is no test and there is no absolute goal. Life is empty and I wish that I was never given it and that somebody else could have taken it instead.

Atheist here. I agree with all of it except wishing that you were never born. Let me ask you this: Valuable diamonds are rare, so if you get your hands on one, would you throw it away? Of course not. Neither would you smash a rare bottle of very old wine, or throw away a winning ten-million-dollar lottery ticket.

Did you know that human females contain about 2 million eggs? And that in one male ejaculation there can be up to 500 million sperm? In order for YOU to be the winner in this IMPOSSIBLE lottery, your mother had to be in a certain place in order to meet your father.

If your grandparents had moved when your parents were young, you wouldn't have been born.

If your parents had not decided to have a relationship, you wouldn't have been born.

If your parents didn't have sex in the ONE month when your egg was available, the egg would have washed away and you wouldn't have been born.

Out of the 500 million sperm, if a different one had reached the egg, you wouldn't have been born.

If your mother had cheated on your father that month and your egg made contact with another man's sperm, you wouldn't have been born.

The odds of any of us being born has got to be in the order of ten-trillion to one.

This life may not have a set purpose, but you are DEFINITELY rare, unique, and one of a kind.

Life is a ride, and you're already on it. The only two choices you have are: Enjoy it, or don't.
What's the point in not enjoying it?

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

Hate to say it, buddy, but you can't know that. And there IS an absolute goal, but you have to choose it for yourself. YOU decide the meaning to your life. If you decide there is no meaning, then you have already lost your game. You are the one who gives the meaning to your life by what you do.

After all, it's not what you take with you, but what you leave behind when you go. Even if there is nothing after...to leave behind a legacy, or even just memories...is that worth it to you? To have touched lives or changed the world? Even if it's just a few people?

In the end, it's all up to you.

“To laugh often and much; To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; To appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition; To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.”
~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

edit on 10-7-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

If you know this, then you have explanations for kids knowing things they could never have known without remembering a past life, you have people who have drifted out of their bodies and seen things they couldn't have otherwise seen, there are ghosts and spirits and all sorts of phenomena that are impossible to explain without accepting that there might be a spiritual plane, or a continuation after death.

How is it you KNOW that there is nothing before or after? Or is it that you simply don't care?

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by jiggerj

If you know this, then you have explanations for kids knowing things they could never have known without remembering a past life, you have people who have drifted out of their bodies and seen things they couldn't have otherwise seen, there are ghosts and spirits and all sorts of phenomena that are impossible to explain without accepting that there might be a spiritual plane, or a continuation after death.

How is it you KNOW that there is nothing before or after? Or is it that you simply don't care?

Kids knowing things they could never have known? I don't know any child fitting this description.

I know there is nothing before or after this life because there can be no conscious thought without a physical machine to produce it. Show me a square foot of empty space capable of forming thought. Give me a small empty cup full of otherworldly information. Let me put my ear to a sea shell and hear a voice whispering the equations that maintain the fabric of this universe. Just yell something into a shoebox, wrap it and send it to me so that when I open it I will hear how the space in the box held your message.

It can't be done.
edit on 7/10/2012 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bone75

We are just a smart animal – that is all that we are & we are completely insignificant.

However, we have an added bonus of being smart enough to realise to make the most of our life while we live it.

Because after our life is over, there is nothing more…… and life is short.

Unless you have a child, which is partly made from your DNA - they carry who you were and if you’re a good parent, they will remember you and will pass that down to their children – so on and so forth. That's the only way you can 'live forever'.....

I’m not angry that we have been put here to live, learn, love and reproduce before we die – why would you be?

Mickierocksman

If what you're saying were true, we would have no emotions and the universe would not exist.

How did you get that from my post?

All animals have emotions, they feel pain and love and they know what suffering is…… what makes you think the universe would not exist if we did not have these things?

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
If it was ever somehow revealed that we Proud Monkeys were only spinning around on an insignificant speck of cosmic dust, living out our lives in an obscurity so incredibly huge and incomprehensibly absolute that it drives the more fortunate of us to drink, I would expect almost nothing to change. For starters, people would just refuse to believe it. I mean, people already refuse to believe it, or this question would have no meaning.

Oh, here and there you might have riots here and there, started by some poor fools who needed some ancient myth warning them about Hell or prison, in order to keep them in line. But most of us don't need to be threatened to be good. I know I for one would much rather live on a meaningless rock doomed to hurtle through the far reaches of empty space for no reason at all, than live in the center of the universe on a planet directly in the gaze and under the tender guidance of a gigantic God, if it means living among people so depraved that it takes old 3rd-hand tales of supernatural punishment just to keep them from killing and robbing each other.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by AdamsMurmur
reply to post by michael1983l

...don't you think it's amazing to be?...

That is precisely the point.
,,,(to the OP)...
If you were to "find" that there is no "special purpose" (thank you - The Jerk) to your life...all you're finding is that no-one (or - No-One) predetermined your conclusion
That could be a liberating discovery.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by michael1983l
What if this life we live is just that, here for the blink of an eye and then gone? What if what we do in this life bears no meaning and doesn't make a difference after we are gone? what if there is no evil and no good? as a human race could we handle it if we found out that there was no purpose, no test, no before and no after? What would happen to us if we found out that we are completely insignificant? Is it possible that we would be put here for no reason, would you be angry if you found out you were?

Sounds very Dylan Klieboldishy.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   
There wouldn't be a point in living if your end was nothing more than a cold dank grave. Nothing would matter and the world would become a selfish place to live. Chaos would reign supreme, there could be no order for the person telling you what to do would be nothing more than you are, just a walking corpse. it wouldn't matte rif you sprayed your brains all over amotel wall at the age of 20 or if you lived to be 100 the end result would be the same, pointless death and...

Hopelessness, despair, sorrow, grief and fear would rule your life.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

Might makes right basically? Go for broke... yolo!

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   

I agree with you here. But this strongly implies that life is worth it.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
These are the concepts to contemplate. We are here either by purpose or by accident. Accidents are meningless have no purpose. Only the creator of a perticular something knows his creations purpose. Look around at everything. Everything has purpose.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

reply to post by jiggerj

Kids knowing things they could never have known? I don't know any child fitting this description.

I know there is nothing before or after this life because there can be no conscious thought without a physical machine to produce it. Show me a square foot of empty space capable of forming thought. Give me a small empty cup full of otherworldly information. Let me put my ear to a sea shell and hear a voice whispering the equations that maintain the fabric of this universe. Just yell something into a shoebox, wrap it and send it to me so that when I open it I will hear how the space in the box held your message.

Unless there's only one life and one spirit, then it's not particularized in any single individual's scull, which is just a node in a very large infrastructure forever in stages of transformation.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

You've never known a man to walk on water either. Doesn't mean it hasn't happened.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   

reply to post by jiggerj

You've never known a man to walk on water either. Doesn't mean it hasn't happened.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by NewAgeMan

I said walk, not run for his life.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewAgeMan

Originally posted by jiggerj

reply to post by jiggerj

Unless there's only one life and one spirit, then it's not particularized in any single individual's scull, which is just a node in a very large infrastructure forever in stages of transformation.

This is something along the lines of the thread I just created here: www.abovetopsecret.com... Why are we "IT"?

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   

reply to post by jiggerj

Well, I have never known a man that wasn't human, either.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

How is that relevant?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join