It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Debate Forum

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Ok why does the debate forum not tell you that you cannot post in there until your entire thread is lost. Very fing annoying. You spend ages making a heartfelt post then you click submit... bam it is gone forever to be replaced by a screen telling you that you do not have the permissions. Thanks very much ATS

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

Never write threads in the post boxes, use a word processor.

There are only a few forums you must have permissions to access.

The writing forums you need --Writer Status.

The Debate Forums you need --Fight Status

Edit to Add; You can challenge people to a debate, and the appropriate mod will set it up, the winner receives the status.

The Research Forum you need --Scholar Status

Sorry you lost your thread.

Lesson learned I suppose.

~Tenth
edit on 7/10/2012 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   

I didn't think you were allowed to post in the debate forum unless you were one of the two posters debating. Hence why it is called the Debate Forum.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   

edit on 10-7-2012 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Well it clearly isn't obvious that you cannot post in that forum until it is too late. Why the hell not change it so people don't waste their time ffs.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   

D-E-B-A-T-E - F-O-R-U-M

Seriously? Didn't your school ever have debates? Did they let audience members chime in whenever they pleased?

Think man, think.
edit on 10/7/2012 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Now that you have the interest peaked on the subject of your post could you re-write it and place it in the General Chit-Chat forum?

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

In my interperatation a debate forum is a forum where you might put a post that inspires debates. Maybe i am think or maybe a debate forum is just a yank thing that us brits dont understand.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   

I'm Aussie and I know what a debate is, and therefore the purpose of a Debate Forum.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

so please do tell me what a debate is. because i thought a debate was where some people debated a subject that was placed for open discussion?

edit on 10-7-2012 by michael1983l because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   

en.wikipedia.org...

Educational debating

Competitive debate

In competitive debates teams compete, and one is judged the winner by some criteria. There are many different styles of competitive debate, organizations and rules. One purpose is to train young people who may in future be required to debate and resolve matters.
Competitive debate is carried out at local, national, and international level.[2]
In schools and colleges competitive debate often takes the form of a contest with explicit rules. It may be presided over by one or more judges. Each side seeks to win, following the rules. Each side is either in favor of ("for, 'Affirmative' "), or opposed to ("against, 'Negative' "), a statement (proposition, moot or Resolution). The "for" side must argue supporting the proposition; the "against" side must refute these arguments sufficiently to warrant not adopting the proposition; they are not required to propose any alternative.

For future reference, Google is your friend. You do have Google in Britain don't you?!?

edit on 10/7/2012 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
that is just bs, the forum is called a debate forum not an educational debate forum. A debate is defined as

de·bate (d-bt) v. de·bat·ed, de·bat·ing, de·bates v.intr. 1. To consider something; deliberate. 2. To engage in argument by discussing opposing points. 3. To engage in a formal discussion or argument. See Synonyms at discuss. 4. Obsolete To fight or quarrel. v.tr. 1. To deliberate on; consider. 2. To dispute or argue about. 3. To discuss or argue (a question, for example) formally. 4. Obsolete To fight or argue for or over. n. 1. A discussion involving opposing points; an argument. 2. Deliberation; consideration: passed the motion with little debate. 3. A formal contest of argumentation in which two opposing teams defend and attack a given proposition. 4. Obsolete Conflict; strife.

www.thefreedictionary.com...

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Since the answer to the original question has been answered, and to prevent any further bickering.

This thread is now closed.

Please view the stickied threads in the Debate forum for more information.

Otherwise, you can contact our resident Debate Super Moderator Vagabond.

~Tenth

new topics

top topics

join