It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ecuador 'won't be bullied on Assange extradition'

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sinny
As for why Equador have not took action already, all consequences have to be considered, and laws explored etc etc... They will be partaking in a dangerous political game with the US.

The US have already shown no shame in arrestng and detaining most guests on the Julian Assange Show.

Equally, Equador will most definately not be bullied, as they've already shown in exspelling their ambassador from the US.

No country, not even Russia are immune from the exposes of Wikileaks, Russia does however, with begrudging respect and solid leadership, allow and accomedate his TV shows and regular news updates.

I feel this is because Russia believe their own sacrifices in privacy are worth exsposing the West. A galliant effort on Putins part IMO. Russia has its own problems, like current suppresion of homosexuality, however they are faced with 75% populace opposed to gays, and a very proud nation stuck in centuries of tradition... They'll catch up one day.

As for what will happen to Assange if America got him..? We've already seen a bunch of well to do Americans calling for his death, ( btw, don't your proffesionals ever act/speak in a proffesional manner without showing a Jerry Springer side to them selves)

And Obama said he was closing Guantanamo, huge fail! He's just invested another 44 million to upgrade it,

Not to mention 70% of a 160 (or so) inmates have been cleared for release, and held captive illegally.

I fear Assange may be assasinated in the next ten years. Dunno when, could be a lot sooner, but he's permanently gunna have a bulls eye target on his head...

I'm Russian and please ask me about Russia before write here about Russians

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   
One thing I still don't get and I've never seen even questioned : if he's allowed asylum, how does he get from the embassy to a plane leaving for Ecuador without being arrested?

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Well. I honestly don't know what Australia could do if the US was set on it, but the US would never execute Assange simply because it would hurt ties with Australia.

I am not trying to be one of those WERE 'MURICA WE DO WHAT WE WANT people. I am just saying, if the US really wanted to Australia couldn't stop them. Don't worry though, they wouldnt.

I honestly don't think Assange should be in trouble at all, but that's just me.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow
Well. I honestly don't know what Australia could do if the US was set on it, but the US would never execute Assange simply because it would hurt ties with Australia.

You misunderstand.
The Australian *people* dont want anything to happen to Assange, but the Australian *Government* would sell him out to the USA in a heartbeat.
The Prime Minister has already publically declared him to be GUILTY. ... And then asked the Attorney Generals office to figure what crimes they could stick on him.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

You are correct sir, our government has once again proven just how far a tongue can be slid down the back side of the US underwear…… and that makes me sad.

JA should be given a medal and is more worthy of a peace prize than a vicious POTUS warmonger ever could be…..

I hope that one day, we do have an open and transparent government and that will only happen with people like JA & Manning.

Mickierocksman

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Eh. I was just going off of what the person I replied to was saying. What I said stands true regardless of how the Australian government feels.

I honestly haven't paid much attention to the scoop in months.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Mickierocksman

I can agree with that. I was a huge Assange supporter, but as time dragged on he proved to be a little egocentric and counter productive to the cause (withholding a looot of info that he should have let go). What is the point of leaking to wikileaks if they just become the new gate keeper. It made me concerned that he may have had an agenda in what he leaked and what he didnt.

Regardless I think it was brave and since I support transparency I enjoyed it. I definitely don't think he needs to be punished in anway. I don't know if he deserves the peace prize, but you're right that he has done a hell of a lot more to earn it than Obama. Obama just stepped into office and took it. Like his election earned him the peace prize. Then he proceeded to bomb everyone. I really haven't wrapped my head around that one.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

I also wish JA would just open it all up for everyone to see, the 'insurance file' for example still has me intrigued.... but I suppose only time will tell if we ever get to see it. I hope we do and more government lies and corruption are brought into the light to wake a few more people up to what goes on in the real world of ‘politics’

Mickierocksman

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by leosnake

Ill need a little more persuading than that! Lol

Don't post anything in regards to English and Irish folk, unless you consult me before hand.

How does that sound to you?

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

In regards to Wikileaks being "Gatekeepers" I think that may be the case, but for very good reasoning, like I said in my WW3 post, there's *alot* resting on Assange and *more* importantly the *infomation* he holds.

I'm sure if you were given his task, you would find your self with *very* damaging infomation, and you have to use your own *discresion* to decide what's releasable and when.

Let's say, he acquired copies of papers that prove... Say... America, are slowly planning action with Israel to nuke Iran, or something of the sort, you *cant* just release that, because Iran, backed in a corner would *have* to take action, and there's the start of WW3.

Many scenarios like that could happen. I'm sure its very difficult being the decision maker, so ill leave up to Assange.

In regards to the Aussies, the people want him free, but the Gov are puppets of the US, they've *half* sold him out.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sinny
As for why Equador have not took action already, all consequences have to be considered, and laws explored etc etc... They will be partaking in a dangerous political game with the US.

There is only so much credit that can be borrowed from China. There are only so many American lives that can be shattered in foreign wars. Eventually, somewhere, some foreign country is going to find its' courage and stand up to the American government, and get away with it. Equador has been as greatly abused by American depravity and megalomania as any other country we could name; why should they not be the first?

I feel this is because Russia believe their own sacrifices in privacy are worth exsposing the West. A galliant effort on Putins part IMO. Russia has its own problems, like current suppresion of homosexuality, however they are faced with 75% populace opposed to gays, and a very proud nation stuck in centuries of tradition... They'll catch up one day.

There's an interesting generalisation being made, here. Stating that suppression of homosexuality needs to cease on the one hand; but then somehow implying, that having centuries of tradition, is an inherently negative thing in general? The Trotskyite thought reformers, have apparently been performing their work very effectively.

I fear Assange may be assasinated in the next ten years. Dunno when, could be a lot sooner, but he's permanently gunna have a bulls eye target on his head...

Definitely agreed. Julian Assange is a dead man walking at this point. I've made that statement numerous times before. It isn't a question of if he is going to die at all; but when, who will be responsible, and how they manage to do it without causing everyone watching, to immediately draw the obvious conclusion.

You do not, however, antagonise the likes of Joseph Lieberman (and considerably more powerful people) to the extent that Assange has, and survive.
edit on 11-7-2012 by petrus4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Even if Ecuador gives Assange asylum, he still has to physically walk out of the embassy and get to Ecuador. It's almost an impossibility. I'm not sure of the laws should Assange drive in a diplomatic car to a private airbase or jump on a cargo ship bound for Ecuador but it would be incredibly difficult for him to leave England.

If Assange was even able to make it to Ecuador, it's a small country and he is accessable to CIA. He has a better chance of disappearing in Brazil or placed under the protection by the Venezuela Govt. Neither of those two countries have offered him asylum to my knowledge.

In my personal opinion I think it is in Ecuador's best interests LONG TERM not to offer Assange asylum and I have a feeling they will renegade on the offer over the coming weeks due to threats of ongoing international contracts and tenders by the US and/or allied countries in Ecuador.

Assange is too "hot" to handle for any small nation. He certainly can't return to Australia because they have extradition orders with the USA. In my view, Australia should only have extradition orders between the main Commonwealth nations where Queen Elizabeth 2nd is still Head of State.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Assange might get save-conduct so he could go from the embassy to Ecuador. I for one hope that he gets the asylum, then waits at the embassy and forces the swedish authorities to conduct their investigation without detainment like they should've done already.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 04:49 AM
link   
I think that whatever Ecuador decides is academic. There is no way the UK government is going to give free passage to someone wanted for questioning over criminal matters in a fellow EU country and where the UK supreme court has already decided he should be extradited.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 04:53 AM
link   
Even if they do give him asylum. Where is he going to go? How? There is no way the crown is going to let him leave. The only other option is to have him rot in the embassy. Even still, he won't live long, Its also going to be interesting to see what the U.S does, if he does make it.

The U.S might just use the Drug war as a cover to nail him, They have massive troops, as well as special forces operation all over central as well as South America, couple that with DEA and ICE, and it would be one of the stupidest things possible to do is grant him asylum. They know it as well. Last thing they need is more problems.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

I think Sweden should set a court date and go ahead with or without Assange and allow the trial to be viewed internationally.

If found guilty by a jury even after the appeal process is exhausted then Assange should return to Sweden to face the music and clear his name.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 05:15 AM
link   
My wife is from Ecuador - they are a proud nation, who have only recently stopped fighting wars on multiple borders.

They are hardline on things like drugs and the Colombian kidnapping rings, and they are developing as a force in modern business. I salute the president on his decision, and hope that this brings some positive publicity for Ecuador.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 05:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Alfie1

Your statement is moot, because Ecuador could grant him diplomatic immunity after they grant citizenship. Therefore, the UK gov would have zero say in whether he leaves.

He could walk into the first class cabin of a British Airways flight and settle down with a whisky and lime, waving politely at the CIA agents sitting in the opposite row. They could not legally do anything to stop him (though I guess the CIA would try to off him at the earliest opportunity).

If he does manage to get to Ecuador, he is likely to live in a gated community, and become part of their political machinery, living out his days in luxury (comes cheap in Ecuador). I hope he does.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 05:30 AM
link   
reply to post by bluemirage5

That's shows how absurd this situation is. They could go to court, they could convict him in absense and he could then mail them the check for the fine issued. That is the whole point. The beauty of not charging him. They dont want a trial. They want JA detained. As long as the investigation is open they can detain him and keep him incommunicato. However if he is found guilty he will be issued a fine and that's it.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 05:30 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyInTheOintment

You can't unilaterally make someone a diplomat. They have to be accepted and approved by the host country. In this case obviously that wouldn't happen.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join