It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient 'New York City' found in Canada

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Dear ATS Readers, Writers,

Did a search with the above title, nothing came up, so here we go with a thread.

Calling it a NEW YORK CITY is kinda stretching it; but it is pretty extensive with 98 longhouses found so far.

About 2000 folks or so lived there according to the scientists and archeologists around 1500 to 1530 AD..

LINK: news.yahoo.com...

Excavations at the site, between 2003 and 2005, have uncovered its 98 longhouses, a palisade of three rows (a fence made of heavy wooden stakes and used for defense) and about 200,000 artifacts. Dozens of examples of art have been unearthed showing haunting human faces and depictions of animals, with analysis ongoing.

Pretty interesting news..

Pravdaseeker

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by pravdaseeker

S & F

I think the title is a bit misleading but I appreciate you bringing this to our attention.

From your source...

edit on 10-7-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Looks like a Viking hall.

Most likely a scandanavian settlement. Very cool, if so this really crushes the "Columbus discovered America"
Nonsense once and for all.

S&F

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by thepupils

Most likely a scandanavian settlement. Very cool, if so this really crushes the "Columbus discovered America"

S&F

not at all that would only prove Columbus discovered Canada....

Who says he crossed the border?

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by mwood

Columbus was a Viking?

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
You misunderstood my post.

In America were all taught Columbus sailed the ocean blue in 1492 & discovered America.
That still is taught this day in public education.

Leif Erickson(Viking) had discovered new Vineland (Newfoundland)
But they don't acknowledge that in school.

Vikings discovered America hundreds of years before Columbus.
Hopefully this new found city crushes the Columbus found america theory.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Nice thread good find. Such a shame they only show 6 picture's when they have found over 2000 artifacts.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by thepupils

I dunno about that. When my Children were in school they were taught about the Vikings, The Chinese and possibly a few others "Discovering America" many many moons before Columbus. Not to mention those who were already here for thousands of years while it was being rediscovered over and over again...

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

I dunno about that. When my Children were in school they were taught about the Vikings, The Chinese and possibly a few others "Discovering America" many many moons before Columbus. Not to mention those who were already here for thousands of years while it was being rediscovered over and over again...

You had better education than here in California

We were taught about Vikings and Chinese & native Americans.
But the Columbus was the 1st European to find north America was
The curriculum. I hope that changes...

Give credit where it's due. I believe they don't want to acknowledge the fact
Barbarian heathens beat Columbus to the discovery.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Check it out, I found another page from last year about this same area with just a few more pics and a little historical info:

www.dayofarchaeology.com...

I'm pretty sure Vikings had nothing to do with this; Hurons also had longhouses because they were less nomadic it seems:

The Great Lakes region (Ontario), for its part, was the domain of the Algonquian and Iroquoian. Among the Iroquoian peoples were the Huron, the Iroquois, the Petun, and the Neutral. The Huron or Wyandot ("the island people"), as they called themselves, lived at the very southeast tip of Lake Huron, and at the north/south crossroads of the trading networks that criss-crossed native North America. They occupied a territory of some 2,300 square kilometres, a region once known as Huronia. The Huron traded agricultural products for wild game. Being mainly sedentary, the Iroquoian peoples appear to have had a more structured social organization than the Algonquian.

www.slmc.uottawa.ca...

They were also a "confederacy" so they would have had more structured villages, ports, etc. It's worth noting though that this is about the time that the Natives were decimated by small pox and so on by contact with Europeans, which were already immune to the disease.

In terms of discovery, I'm quite certain that the Vikings were probably the first to discover Canada at least, Newfoundland and Labrador that is. I doubt they got far inland though.
edit on 10/7/12 by AdamsMurmur because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by AdamsMurmur
It's worth noting though that this is about the time that the Natives were decimated by small pox and so on by contact with Europeans, which were already immune to the disease

Some believe that many of those tribes were descendants of mixed Earlier European travelers and Natives which got decimated by small pox brought to the New world by later Europeans many centuries after the first Europeans made it here and would explain why they weren't immune because those lines were never exposed to it.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by mwood

S&F

not at all that would only prove Columbus discovered Canada....

Who says he crossed the border?

Actually...Jacques Cartier discovered Canada in 1534 (First voyage). It was in fact Quebec which was eventually named "Nouvelle France"...anyways still an interesting find. And I am sure there is plenty more to discover...they barely scratched the surface (pun intended)...

What I find funny is that He claimed to have discovered it just like Columbus did America and both countries were occupied....They just imposed themselves and their religions to the people that were already established. Basically they discovered nothing, they only colonized and/or destroyed already existing cultures.

My 2 cents.

Teye22

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   

At an early age. I learned Columbus discovered the US land and that europe thought the world was flat. tbh, this info is all but sketchy to me today but when the world became a larger idea, the idea of vikings go back farther than columbus and that the whole world except for europe knew the world is round.

imo. I think the US teaches this to students to dumb us on a world far older than the 1490's.I don't believe columbus made a heroic decision to sail to a cliff, and europe knew the world was world. honestly i don't even know if government school teach prior to 1490's. dang been forever since I read a textbook from school years.

I know I'm a noob on ATS and the logic of our history is one big computer harddrive

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by RadioHawken

I have to agree with you. There are gaps missing in the history classes. There is a veil or so it seems over some information as if we were not to know the full story. I felt the same way in high school. I could be way off track but this is just a feeling I have always had.

Teye22

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Werent long houses made from the native. I found this about the Iroquois LINK

Looks similar to me!!

Teye22

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   
There's a fascinating story here about the mystery of an axe of European origin found buried at the site and the subject of a documentary.

The axe was European. Wrought-iron was unknown here in the 1500s. Yet the tool was buried, deliberately, within the ancient palisades nearly a century before Europeans first made contact with the Huron-Wendat.

it’s deduced Basque fishermen left the axe in a whaling hut in the early 16th century when they returned home during winter. Iroquois of the St. Lawrence who travelled in the area may have picked it up as trading material. The piece was paddled deep into Ontario and eventually it was swapped into the Mantle site

Speculation is they buried it because it was bad luck and would bring unspeakable evil. Perhaps they didn't bury it deep enough -

Within two decades of the Huron-Wendat’s first encounter with a European — a mighty nation of about 40,000 was decimated by killer diseases carried by settlers, such as small pox and influenza.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 04:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Maluhia

Cajun's (Southern US) were originally fishermen of Basque and Normandy descent. They were kicked out of Canada and settled in the USA. Therefore, probably related to whoever owned the axe originally!

Very nice find, thanks for posting.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 05:06 AM
link   

People who claim that Columbus or vikings discovered North America are both wrong. Mongolians (whom we now refer to as Native Americans) discovered North America.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 05:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Xaphan

Just to be annoyingly pedantic, there wasn't a Mongolia then!

People from the Altai Mountains discovered and settled America....... (sorry, couldn't resist).

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 06:26 AM
link   

S&F

Obviously Columbus did NOT discover America becasue there were people already there! Presumably becasue they lived in tepees they don't count and "discovery" only applies to white europeans.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join