It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food Prices about to sky rocket, be prepared.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Already experienced it for over 4 years here in Cali. So won't be a huge surprise this time either.

I was going to make a new post the other day about this but when I thought about the title I was going to make, I stopped.

Well, originally I was going to label my thread "Have you noticed the price of a Big Mac recently?". Then I thought it was a lil' silly.

But in any case, a Big Mac sandwich, just the sandwich by itself, now cost $3.74 here in Southern California.

We have seen the price of produce and meat products sky rocket ever since 2008.

Pork shoulders went up about 110%+.

I'm not sure if this has any tie in with weather conditions but the cost of living has been increasing in SoCal for over 4 years now, so won't be a huge surprise to us really.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Covertblack
1988 was a terrible year for crops. A drought in the early part of the season caused havoc for most the growing year. Farmers still recall how bad 88 was. Now, read this comment and understand why food prices are on the rise:

7/10 - Washington County, Ill.: This is my 50th year of grain farming, so I think that I can say that I've seen it all. This is worse than 1988-Much worse for corn. Beans could still be fair if it starts to rain soon. Sat.-Sun. rains totaled only 1/4 inch.

Again, I urge all to read some of these comments from farmers from AGweb in order to understand how bad this is.

www.agweb.com...

Some of those quotes...were
to say the least. This is NOT GOOD!

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Time to think about the status of our nation and how so many problems are being band-aided

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by LittleBlackEagle

Another dust bowl isn’t as likely as some may think. It wasn’t caused only by the back to back droughts. The poor farming practices of that time were the main cause of the dust being blown around. They were till farming and replacing drought resistant prairie grasses with wheat. When the wheat died there was nothing left to hold the top soil down when the drought dried everything up.

The farming practices are much better now, no till farming and planting of natural grasses on unused fields. It will take years of back to back droughts to even come close to recreating the same scenario that caused the dust bowl.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Withering Corn Crop Feeds Global Concerns

July 11, 2012

Corn futures have soared, crop condition ratings have dropped, and the world is hearing about risks of U.S. drought driving food prices higher.

Voice of America warned yesterday that world food prices likely will spike for the third time in five years, noting that price surges in 2007-08 and 2010-11 "triggered riots and social instability in dozens of countries around the world."

...continued at AG WEB

If interested also see,
AG WEB - July Crop Comments

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by zeeon
reply to post by Bakatono

This ties into our current discussion because it also referenced the north Atlantic current (which is tied into the Gulf Stream) and the jet streams.

So in essence, I guess the question is how much would the BP Disaster and all that oil / corexit contribute to a shift of the gulf current?

BINGO!

I believe there are three factors at play here all working together.

1. Sun is hotter (see average temperatures on other solar bodies to see a rising trend system wide).
2. BP Oil Spill and corexit have severed the Gulf Stream from reaching the North Atlantic Current (see paper link earlier)
3. Glacial melt adding fresh water to the North Atlantic Current preventing the warm waters of the Gulf from reaching Northern Europe, due to the cold fresh water having less density then the warm salt waters, preventing the "sink" of the current, that must occur to "pulse" the waters forward.

All three factors accelerate the others, these three issues would result in cold wet sunmmers for Northern Europe (see our brothers from across the pond testimonies). This "low pressure" system over Eurpoe would create a pressure void that would affect the Jet Stream, as the air would slip back in order to fill the newly created pressure void over Europe. This "sliding" of the Jet Stream (much like El Nino or La Nina events) would pull the entire US under a high pressre system.

In essense the sun is getting hotter (due to our entrance into a region of space with higher density then before), which is causing the glacial melt in Greenland, both of which are contributing to the slowing of the North Atlantic Current in conjunction with the BP Oil and corexit cutting off the Gulf Stream (primary source of warm waters running along the North Atlantic Current) are all resulting in the climate alterations witnessed by us at this time.

All of this is of course just my opinion, but I have a science backround and feel the evidence is almost present to formulate a hypothesis.

God Bless,

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by CosmicCitizen

If we have back to back to back droughts like the 1930s then we will have Dust Bowl II (concomitant with The Great Depression II). Funny how things go in cycles...and this time they have "weather modification" weapons to use to bring it about if their goal is to speed up "global warming" to introduce carbon tax measures (I didnt say "legislation" as we are seeing more decree by "executive fiat" these days) and "population reduction" (another topic).

Here's an INTERESTING QUESTION, i have...regarding your "weather modification" comment. Can't they make it rain? So then, why don't they? We are NOT living in the 1930's. Why isn't the technology being used for us, and not AGAINST US? Maybe, this drought is being caused on purpose.

BTW....how are Monsanto's crops holding up????

I've been saying this, for a couple of years now.....we have become too DEPENDENT on the system. Going to the supermarket, to get fruits and vegetables; that we can grow....will be our undoing!!!! It takes YEARS to get crops going. Heck, my peach tree bloomed in March. Peaches were ready by beginning of June. I aint no farmer...but....that don't seem right. lol

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by tw0330

www.latimes.com...

this is another link, its bad in Missouri too

In corn-growing states such as Indiana, Missouri, Kentucky and Tennessee, 45% to 50% of the corn crop is in poor or very poor condition, according to the gauge.

A blistering heat wave has swept through the country in recent weeks, bringing temperatures over 100 degrees Fahrenheit and a spate of deaths.

“Both the number of record highs in the past week, and the areas with record and near-record dryness over the last 1 to 3 months, are too numerous to mention,” according to the drought monitor.

here is the link to the drought moniter as well.. droughtmonitor.unl.edu...
edit on 11-7-2012 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   

reply to post by daynight42

You sir are the one who is being quite rude, to the OP in your original post, and now to the person that called you on it.

You want evidence? You think this is fear mongering? Then take your gripes up with the ACTUAL FARMERS who are saying this stuff.

Agweb Crop Comments

Now please if you have nothing to contribute to the rest of this thread please go.

Sure, let's pull some random ones from that mile long page:

7/11 - Tyler and Lincoln counties, Minnesota: 230 acre field, very good growth and color, just starting to pollinate. This area in good shape about 20 miles from South Dakota line. Little .1 inch rains every few days carrying crops. Have good subsoil moisture from May rains.

7/10 - Marlette, Mich.: Wheat harvest has been very good considering how dry it has been. Flat, low-lying ground that is tiled overall is yielding the best! On our rolling ground, the tops of the hills have been yielding 40’s (Sand) to 90’s (Clay) with the valleys 100 plus! (Read more wheat-related comments at AgWeb's www.VirtualWheatTour.com)

7/10 - East central Iowa: My heart goes out for those of you who know you are finished. I honestly can't put an estimate to what we may get. We had .8"-1.5" 6-29-12 here, but have had 95-100F temps up until Sunday and no rain in sight. Light spots are probably done and the rest looks ok early in the morning, rolling by 10 am. I still have hope, but we will have to see how the corn will pollinate and if we can get any rain to stop the bleeding.

7/9 - Marshall County, Iowa: Light soils are gone. The corn has been trying to tassel for 10 days. Everything has almost stopped growing. We have water hemp in the beans that nothing will kill. Our broker says they might take two or three bushels off the national corn yield. I think I need a new broker.

7/11 - Northeast Iowa: Mowed hay with batwing mower today. Corn is 4' tall and trying to tassel. Not good.

So, it seems like a mix to me. How much of that corn in Monsanto's anyway? Juuussst wondering.

It'd be one thing if the OP posted a link to the comments like you did so we could "hear what was being said." He didn't. Can't get the full picture from one person's side of the story. That's called bad investigating. Get over it.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by daynight42

Actually you do get a darn good picture reading that comment page and it aint pretty!

I read every comment for the last 3 days, did you? You must just want to argue, because the nation's agricultural status is extremely important to the health and wealth of our nation and even other parts of the world.

Just because this is a new problem does not make it less serious of an emergency.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
must be global warming.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinTruth

Originally posted by CosmicCitizen

If we have back to back to back droughts like the 1930s then we will have Dust Bowl II (concomitant with The Great Depression II). Funny how things go in cycles...and this time they have "weather modification" weapons to use to bring it about if their goal is to speed up "global warming" to introduce carbon tax measures (I didnt say "legislation" as we are seeing more decree by "executive fiat" these days) and "population reduction" (another topic).

Here's an INTERESTING QUESTION, i have...regarding your "weather modification" comment. Can't they make it rain? So then, why don't they? We are NOT living in the 1930's. Why isn't the technology being used for us, and not AGAINST US? Maybe, this drought is being caused on purpose.

BTW....how are Monsanto's crops holding up????

I've been saying this, for a couple of years now.....we have become too DEPENDENT on the system. Going to the supermarket, to get fruits and vegetables; that we can grow....will be our undoing!!!! It takes YEARS to get crops going. Heck, my peach tree bloomed in March. Peaches were ready by beginning of June. I aint no farmer...but....that don't seem right. lol

Yes they can, but what makes you think they didn't cause the drought in the first place?

I'm not saying that they did, but it does have the potential to do a lot of different things, from making people more reliant on the government, to control of the worlds food supply, to profits off of the stock market, the list could go on and on.

It could also cause a lot of farmers to lose money causing them to sell their land over to government interests.
edit on 11-7-2012 by tw0330 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by SunnyDee

Maybe he doesn't have to pay for his own food. He has the same attitude on all the threads he posts in. Don't let it get to you.

The fact is, our Nation's food supply is dwindling, while our population is not. Anyone who thinks, when you toss inclement weather on top of that, and not have food prices rise...well...isn't thinking with a clear head.

Just google Sam's Club or Costco. Their number one sellers are survival bulk food packages. Even Walmart is now selling emergency survival food packages. When the problem hits the mainstream like this....it's a bigger problem than we think it is. Those bulk food survival kits are damn expensive. If you can, just start picking up a little extra in grains and pasta legumes, when you shop. Even if only a few cans at a time...it all adds up. Store water too. If you grow, get a dehydrator, and save everything from your gardens. Can what you can.

Des

edit on 11-7-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
In England we are so WET that the crops are going soggy.
they are rotting and farmers can not get some crops in.
the mud is to deep.

England usually gets the weather from america.
so the heat will destroy the rest.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by tw0330

Not a good idea to stock up on perishable foods. One blackout for 24 hours will spoil it all. Waste of money. If you do have a stock full of meat in the freezer, have a portable generator and enough gas for it for 3 days.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by SpittinTruth

Many have argued that the long running drought in the SE of Colorado where the government is trying to get farmers and ranchers (large land owners) to sell their land to them has been engineered with the help of HAARP. I do not have any evidence that this is so....but if it was then that technology could be used against us now to further their (tptb) agenda to tie global warming to human activity and then (after global carbon taxes and population reduction) use the technology to make it rain where they want (from the us "bread basket" to Dubai).

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by DavidsHope
Went for one of my very long bike rides day before yesterday. I made it a point to observe corn fields, as well as beans. I grew up in West central IL. I live in Central Illinois now. I know corn. I worked for farmers in their fields, and I know what damaged corn and beans look like. What I saw prompted me to talk to my wife about putting even more back. We have talked to our friends and family.
Condition Corn: Stalks are already brown at the bottom. Most half way up. Leaves are either dead or dying or very close with leaves pointing straight up and curled in. Some ears large, most not. I could not tell how much loss of kernel there may be on the cobs, but most of the silk is dried brown rather than developing. No rain or very little. Noted some areas of many fields appear healthy as well. Percentage unknown RE damage.
We are going to prepare for this. I planted 22 tomato plants this spring...They are now 75% dead despite daily watering.
If needed I could post a pic of them but whats the point?
As of now. I don't really know what the farmers think. I only know what I see, and what I see prompts me to prepare for some shortages and price jumps.
If we prepare and all is well then we only have a surplus. If we do not we can blame only ourselves when we have nothing....
This is our perspective of crops from the central IL town we live in. You did ask; This is my take from what I have seen in Central IL. My take on it is that this does not look good at all.

Read through the thread and got to this. Have a question....if you are watering your tomatos everyday, why do you think 75% are dead. I did a garden a few years ago, did ok for an amateur, not great, but ok with my lack of knowledge. I pretty much just read the seed packs and went to town
. We moved recently, and I haven't set one up yet, but have the room for a better one and will likely do a fall one or start it next spring.

Anyways. Is it just straight up the temperatures? Even with the water. Do you have them shaded or screened. Could the sun itself be putting out more energy, I am not very familiar with space/solar weather's potential effect on crops. If you already answered just U2U and copy and paste. I am a little busy at work and don't know if i will make through the whole thread. Thank you for your opinions and observations.

It's getting dry in oklahoma...but looking around outside lately AND on the draught map I think so far we are ok. Had quite a bit of rain in the spring after a mild winter. Had rain Monday and just heard some thunder so should get some more tonight. Still not great though. I don't know anything about agriculture but will try to look closer...
edit on 11-7-2012 by SrWingCommander because: addinfo

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Whew....I read through the entire thread. Okay, so I live in Chicago but often travel up into wisconsin area. We have not seen rain in awhile and most farmers all agree that the majority of their crops are dead, or potentially dead if we don't get rain within a few days.

Being close to lake Michigan, and having water wells everywhere farmers ARE able to setup irrigation systems and keep some things growing. In fact the intense sunlight is somewhat helping. All plants in my garden are growing fine with help of constant watering. My tomatoes, corn, zucchini, and peppers in buckets are also doing very well with constant watering.

Illinois is definitely taking a hit this year as far as corn/soy. Proper irrigation systems could have prevented most of the loss. Some farms in the area are maintaining, some of the larger farms who have heavily relied on natural rain fall are hurting (obviously).

This is a reminder that as a human species we must constantly be evolving our methods of survival. New age, technologically advanced farming practices need to be implemented. Currently, I work with the indoor grow industry specializing in hydroponic/aquaponic/aero-ponic food/fish production. With confidence I can say I can grow all my veggies, and some fruits, spices, herbs year-round providing enough food to supply a family constantly. (Using purified water, purified air, and organic nutrients.)

As far as electricity goes, setting up solar panels and wind turbines when possible is great supplemental free power, storing the power in large batteries help for when the sun is not shining. Recently, I purchased a large residential Generac generator (natural gas) to provide power in case of outages. So those of you stocking up on food I definitely recommend a generator to keep your refrigerators running. Jus my 2 cents.

so yes, prices are going to go up......

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by ElohimJD

reply to post by Bakatono

This ties into our current discussion because it also referenced the north Atlantic current (which is tied into the Gulf Stream) and the jet streams.

So in essence, I guess the question is how much would the BP Disaster and all that oil / corexit contribute to a shift of the gulf current?

BINGO!

I believe there are three factors at play here all working together.

1. Sun is hotter (see average temperatures on other solar bodies to see a rising trend system wide).
2. BP Oil Spill and corexit have severed the Gulf Stream from reaching the North Atlantic Current (see paper link earlier)
3. Glacial melt adding fresh water to the North Atlantic Current preventing the warm waters of the Gulf from reaching Northern Europe, due to the cold fresh water having less density then the warm salt waters, preventing the "sink" of the current, that must occur to "pulse" the waters forward.

All three factors accelerate the others, these three issues would result in cold wet sunmmers for Northern Europe (see our brothers from across the pond testimonies). This "low pressure" system over Eurpoe would create a pressure void that would affect the Jet Stream, as the air would slip back in order to fill the newly created pressure void over Europe. This "sliding" of the Jet Stream (much like El Nino or La Nina events) would pull the entire US under a high pressre system.

In essense the sun is getting hotter (due to our entrance into a region of space with higher density then before), which is causing the glacial melt in Greenland, both of which are contributing to the slowing of the North Atlantic Current in conjunction with the BP Oil and corexit cutting off the Gulf Stream (primary source of warm waters running along the North Atlantic Current) are all resulting in the climate alterations witnessed by us at this time.

All of this is of course just my opinion, but I have a science backround and feel the evidence is almost present to formulate a hypothesis.

God Bless,

Wrong.

There is absolutely no evidence our sun is getting "hotter". We are entering a solar SUNSPOT maximum, but it's been tamer than predicted, though we are still in the beginning. Other than that, solar irradiance has actually DECREASED over the last few decades.

Other bodies in the solar system are not heating up. Some are warming, some are cooling, most are going through natural seasonal changes (which, mind you, may have yearly cycles/orbits of tens/hundreds of Earth years).

Funny you completely ignore the elephant in the room and fail to state the obvious- GLOBAL WARMING. GLOBAL WARMING. GLOBAL WARMING. I know it's taboo around here, but it's real no matter what you want to believe, and we're starting to feel its effects more and more each decade.
edit on 11-7-2012 by NoHierarchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Have no fear Monsanto's is here! Naturally, I am kidding...

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join