It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food Prices about to sky rocket, be prepared.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   
I work for a local organic market in my town and crops have been great and prices are steady, in fact a lot of the prices on our staple produce items has gone down.. Just my input.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Drezden

Some good news at last...if you don't mind, what is your geographical local...

Des

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   
I always stock up through the summer time since I live in Colorado and winters are unpredictable, but I have to say I have not noticed any increases. The crops of corn around here look really healthy actually and Farmers Markets seem abundant as well as inexpensive. We have our own garden which is doing well, but I intend on buying from the farmers market too and freezing quite a bit for the winter time.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone
reply to post by daynight42

Have you even read the whole thread. There are people who are *farmers* reporting in from multiple places that things are not looking good, or growing in a normal way. Take your crappy putdown attitude and educate yourself.

I say that with all the kindness I could muster....

Des

Then you a first class something, because that was rude.

I must have missed something. I thought this was just a single guy talking. The reports from the other farmers are...where?

Hey, I have a lot of farmer friends, and they're not complaining.

Here we have farmers making economic forecasts on the prices of food, based on the assumption that the weather will be bad. That's it.

He's saying that food prices are about to sky rocket...THEN he says "but only IF the weather continues to stay bad."

So what is it? You lured me into the thread with the threat that prices are about to sky rocket. Then you conveniently say, Oh, that's only if .

Thanks for lying. It is clear to me why I take issue with the post. (See my signature for more info.)

I am NOT okay with sloppily presented 'information' or "facts" or exaggerations, lies, and sensationalism.

Truth above all of that. Get over your emotional pleas for attention.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by tw0330

People better repent and turn to Jesus. You have been warned, America.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by wlord

If it don't rain, grass don't grow and cows don't drink out of ponds so you feed and water them.

My grandpa is selling all of his cattle. This has never happened and my family has farmed for 80 years. 9 of our 10 ponds are bone dry, and the one that isn't is almost there. The reason our ponds are so bad is because the drought last year never broke. We had a little rain in the fall and winter, some decent stuff in the spring but not enough, not fast enough, to fill up our ponds.

We got out of the wheat business a while back but the farmers I did see with wheat seemed OK. We had some pretty decent rains early in the season, getting dry now though. It's raining in Oklahoma, just not on our farm land. All the rain seems to concentrate around the towns.

It's funny because people are like O I HATE DAT RAIN GIMME DA SUN.

Southwest Oklahoma here.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by mrballistic

Originally posted by Apollo7
reply to post by tw0330

www.forbes.com...

This may be an area we all need to check out.

Radiation hits you as any lethal level YOUR DEAD

that site will not do a damn thing to help you and your ilk

No need to be rude with your comment/s.
-------------

Here in NC the tobacco and soy beans aren't looking to good. Not sure about the corn? The people who were farming the fields behind my house for the last several yrs [w/corn] didn't plant this year.

I hope everyone does ok, but don't forget the food banks this winter [or anytime of year].

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone
reply to post by Drezden

Some good news at last...if you don't mind, what is your geographical local...

Des

Oregon

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

Oh yeah.. and the weather isn't looking any better. Actually they say it may get worse.
I am not far from eastern Indiana and I can vouch for OP. We have had some heatwaves. I watered the lawn for the first time in my life the other day.

Lots of people keeling over too. My dad's co worker had a friend die the other day. Older guy just went out to fiddle around in the yard for not long at all 30 minutes to an hour or so and he died. A week of 100+ degree weather is never something to scoff at, especially when every evening brings a rainless thunder storm that knocks out the power. Seriously we had a thunderstorm at the end of four 100+ degree days in a row.
edit on 11-7-2012 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by GuidedKill
This is why I have a 2 acre garden planted with non GMO seeds. As far as meat is concerned I hunt and catch almost everything I eat. This price hike sucks but will not effect me. I know how to live off the land as should everyone. I feel sorry for city dwelling people who have lived their whole lives without learning how to live off the land. Their parents have done them a real dis service not teaching them.

Which is all very well but here in the UK, my home grown veg are being drowned out. It doesn't much help having your own land if weather extremes are destroying the produce .
What we should ALL be doing is stocking up while we can with pulses etc which will keep. And if we are into growing our own we need to be taking a look at the way our own climate is going and perhaps changing what we plant.
Edit: Thankfully some posters recognise it's not all about what's happening in US or in our own backyards. Take a look at the weather extremes around the world.
US and Europe read this...
www.weatheraction.com...
edit on 11-7-2012 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 03:08 AM
link   
You know its funny, my lilac bushes bloomed and only stayed that was for about 2 weeks, now they're wiltering. Every other flower i had in my yard is dead, not even dandilions. I have also seen no bees to speak of which is odd where I am up north.

The weather has been cool and constantly windy....like every day windy with 17 mph gusts. And even though it looks like its gonna rain, it drizzles for 5 minutes then stops. It is soo dry here when normally July is a wet month.

It is really weird with the weather and the plants in my yard tell no lies. Even the trees are suffering. The pacific salmon returns have been horrid this year making them call for a state of emergency as the natives rely on it for subsistance to get them through the hard winters.

We're in for some fun I think....not sure how bad the farms up here are doing, but Ive already noticed prices going up where I live.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 03:10 AM
link   
reply to post by RobinB022

Food banks are only good if people donate to them and they constantly have shortages. Any decent influx of needy people hitting up the food banks and they will be bone dry as well.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 06:08 AM
link   
reply to post by tw0330

Reports yesterday from whatever the US version of MAFF is ( UK Ministry of Agriculture, Farms and Fisheries) stated that if this weather continues for the rest of this week, yields will be around 8% lower nationally. If it continues until the end of next week, it would be considerably worse.

Almost makes you wish for a bit of geo engineering doesn't it?
Shift that Jet Stream!

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Numbers33four
reply to post by tw0330

People better repent and turn to Jesus. You have been warned, America.

Really?

Why the need to post this on a thread discussing something entirely different to religion?
Jesus is a figment of your imagination. If i am wrong, let God smite me..............................................

Gave him 5 minutes there.........still here..................

I think you should you repent and turn to Potatoes. You have been warned god botherers!

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Hmm,Could be weather warfare.British are involved in such developments.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Hey tw0330,
I too live in East central Indiana (small world) and I have a small farm. I have beans in that are doing poorly but they are fairing better than most farmers corn. I have a large garden that is doing ok except for the cabbage. Without watering every day though, it would have been dead long ago. I'm not so sure that its not too late for most crops. How will this affect all the ethanol plants? How will they juggle what little supply there is? Food should come first but you know squeaky wheels get the grease.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

Could the queen be testing new weather weapon toys:

n 1952, the Royal Air Force flooded an entire village in Devon (England) with ninety million tonnes of water, killing 35 people, by using cloud seeding technology.12 Today, microwave lasers are used in place of dry ice and silver iodide. As far back as 1945, Britain and America created a tsunami bomb, according to the declassified records, which was successfully tested in New Zealand’s waters, and designed for use in the post-WWII era.13 Japan’s hydrokinetic press, designed in 1933, laid the basis for the bomb’s design.14 Like flood and drought creation, the technology has moved on since then and has now been replaced with microwave pulses.
axisoflogic.com...

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Corn in Kansas and Missouri is sad looking but it isnt that bad in Iowa ("good dirt")....yet anyway. Also we had record acres planted so that must be taken into account as well. The marginal additional acres planted will likely be the ones with the poorest production. Higher corn will lead to cattle herd liquidation however and that means that we will see higher meat prices next year (delay). It probably isnt a good idea to use food (ie, corn) for energy either as that puts a demand on limited resources (albeit renewable)....a better energy policy (conservation and alternative sources) is desirable. What I am worried about is next year if we have back to back droughts with little or no carryover stocks.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by ludwigvonmises003
Hmm,Could be weather warfare.British are involved in such developments.

Sorry Ludwig, you are way off the mark here. The US has been at the fore front of crop warfare since the 1950's (think Banana Wars).

This is a subject i am extremely well versed in for a variety of reasons. Not least of which is that one of my former professors is one the worlds leading authority on crop warfare.

Terrible practice but at least it made Bob Dole billions of dollars from the Central American nations.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by tw0330
I am not a farmer, but do have a large farming family. also my Father in Law raises cattle, goats, chickens, and pigs as a kind of hobby.

Anyways, This past weekend I was helping him with keeping the animals as cool as possible is the heat. every few hours we had to go out and refill/cool down the water buckets of the animals as well as water down the hogs so they didn't over heat. This was a constant thing all weekend, yet he doesn't have a lot of animals.

I was talking with him, and many animals around the area were dropping like flies, because it became impossible for many of the larger farms to keep up with all the cattle and such. luckily my father in law has only lost chickens out of the severe heat.

The corn crops around his house are far from fully grown, and most of them are starting to turn yellow or even brown around the bases, while the soy beans aren't looking good either.

This is just one area of the state (eastern indiana) and though it looks a little better on the western part of the state, it doesn't look a whole lot better.

This is going on all over the country, in areas much of our food comes from.

Unless we get rain soon, much of the crops in the midwest will be done for, causing the price to go up in most of the food we eat. The extreme heat has caused much of the livestock to suffer, and even if the majority do survive, the cost of feeding them will go up for the ranchers which in turn will make the price of meat go up.

Don't count on sea food being cheaper either, as it is down as well (especially in the gulf).

my suggestion, stock up as much as you can while it's still reasonable to buy.

Really? Nice doomsday thread. Why do I say this? Because just on my travels on the road in my city...I saw semi's full of corn. Many semi's and you say crops are bad? Maybe in your area but not here. Also this is not a warm part of the country and we have been much warmer than most states and we have humid heat. Which makes it twice as bad. Plus not to mention the fact, people have been saying that food prices are going to jump up. Sure they have jumped since then but by cents.

The warmest year on record was in 1934 during what I asked? The Great Depression. What was more prominent back then? Farming. Did we make it? YES. Please get rid of this thread for trying to start a panic.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join