It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food Prices about to sky rocket, be prepared.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by tw0330

I live among many farms. Without enough rain this summer, all appears to be lost for this years corn and soy beans. Farmers can't even irrigate due to the creeks and streams and ponds being bone dry. As for our home garden, we are fortunate enough to have a cistern that we do not use for drinking water and it's been a source for us to pull up buckets of water to keep our veggies from drying up. Our rain barrels have long gone dry.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Two words of advice:

Get rice.

No seriously, Rice is plentiful, it's worldly, it's healthy, it keeps, and there's as metric f*!kton of it. Stock up on it.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I was reading a news article last week which claimed that 80% of the corn and soybeans in the country was going to be lost this year - IF it cools down and they get rain soon. - I it stays the same as now then there is a very good chance that a larger percent is going to be lost.

So imagine if we only harvest 5% - 20% of our usual crop this year!

Some things to think about..........

1. Food prices in the future.
2. Other countries that annually rely on the USA for food exports.
3. Who knows if next year will be any better? or the year after ect...ect...
4. People who don't grow their own food better start thinking about it....SOON

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by zeeon

Yep. I would advise people to go on a ten-day brown rice fast asap. Then start adding in other foods gradually.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by GuidedKill
This is why I have a 2 acre garden planted with non GMO seeds. As far as meat is concerned I hunt and catch almost everything I eat. This price hike sucks but will not effect me. I know how to live off the land as should everyone. I feel sorry for city dwelling people who have lived their whole lives without learning how to live off the land. Their parents have done them a real dis service not teaching them.

Although I agree with you, that we should all be self sufficient with a garden at a minimum, I don't think it's feasible to dream that all citizens just take to hunting for food. The reasons should be obvious... not enough game to go around, so soon all would perish from starvation, and also the masses running around with guns trying to hunt, that is just asking for anarchy and death.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I would say to keep a close eye on grain as well. Ours can't be doing real well by the drought maps I am seeing, but we generally account for bad years and that's reasonable enough. However, we don't have the surplus anymore to handle years where other major producers have a real bad year at the same time. Some folks thought turning farming fields to growing ethanol corn would be the neatest thing since sliced bread a peanut butter. Who needed all that excess grain anyway? I think I've even heard someone use the word hoarding to describe the surpluses of the past.

Well, that catastrophic flooding in Russia? Umm..Yeah, guess where a fair portion of their grain crops are based in and around. Umm..Yeah, those grain crops.
We're not the only ones with a staple crop harvest problem in 2012. It's going to be a rough time for awhile at the supermarket, I'm thinking. Did someone forecast a perfect storm by any chance? One seems to be on the horizon.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by zeeon

I read this morning on the agweb site that rice is being affected by this drought also, not as bad as corn, yet, but if no rain, it's sure to be trouble for the rice crop also.

link   
Good post . In england the crops most places have had more water than most years by over 7 times the spring/summer average at least , so far , could be 10-25 times what recent years have given , already .
Growth is poor due to lack of sun , constant wind damage , low temperatures and possibly lack of oxygen / feed content within the soil , especially in ploughed/commercial crops using inorganic fertilisers . Certain strip crops are having a good season such as lettuce however slug/snail numbers are rising very fast as in previous wet years

Hay is going to be in high demand /short supply by winter , i dont know who is mad enough to try and dry it this year . Unless things suddenly change for the better . Which currrently seems unlikely.

Very poor (crop) results so far are agreed amongst most around here , although perenials will have little complaint due to beneficial effects remediating long term dehydration at depth

link   
reply to post by tw0330

And food isn't the half of it. Twentyfive percent of the US corn crop goes into ethenol for your car. The price of gas will go up also.

And if you heard of complains from elswhere in the world last year about our use of corn for fuel, just wait. We will get blamed for them not being able to feed themselves.

We have several clocks like the famous "atomic clock" ticking toward midnight; economic collapse, combined with over populations, shortages of food and materials, changing climates, grosss consumption up around the world, pollution, power shortages, drastic political changes, etc.

link   
Went for one of my very long bike rides day before yesterday. I made it a point to observe corn fields, as well as beans. I grew up in West central IL. I live in Central Illinois now. I know corn. I worked for farmers in their fields, and I know what damaged corn and beans look like. What I saw prompted me to talk to my wife about putting even more back. We have talked to our friends and family.
Condition Corn: Stalks are already brown at the bottom. Most half way up. Leaves are either dead or dying or very close with leaves pointing straight up and curled in. Some ears large, most not. I could not tell how much loss of kernel there may be on the cobs, but most of the silk is dried brown rather than developing. No rain or very little. Noted some areas of many fields appear healthy as well. Percentage unknown RE damage.
We are going to prepare for this. I planted 22 tomato plants this spring...They are now 75% dead despite daily watering.
If needed I could post a pic of them but whats the point?
As of now. I don't really know what the farmers think. I only know what I see, and what I see prompts me to prepare for some shortages and price jumps.
If we prepare and all is well then we only have a surplus. If we do not we can blame only ourselves when we have nothing....
This is our perspective of crops from the central IL town we live in. You did ask; This is my take from what I have seen in Central IL. My take on it is that this does not look good at all.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by SunnyDee
reply to post by zeeon

I read this morning on the agweb site that rice is being affected by this drought also, not as bad as corn, yet, but if no rain, it's sure to be trouble for the rice crop also.

I haven't checked but I'd guess that's probably likely. Keep in mind that rice is worldly - it's a huge import and the Chinese haven't been affected afaik. Rice prices will probably go up a bit but not as badly as corn and everything that corn is used for (ie livestock, HFCS etc).

The Chinese have been living on rice diets for centuries, so I'm heading down to my local commissary to pick up a few bags of the stuff tomorrow.
edit on 10-7-2012 by zeeon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   

This is why I have a 2 acre garden planted with non GMO seeds. As far as meat is concerned I hunt and catch almost everything I eat. This price hike sucks but will not effect me. I know how to live off the land as should everyone. I feel sorry for city dwelling people who have lived their whole lives without learning how to live off the land. Their parents have done them a real dis service not teaching them.

Although I agree with you, that we should all be self sufficient with a garden at a minimum, I don't think it's feasible to dream that all citizens just take to hunting for food. The reasons should be obvious... not enough game to go around, so soon all would perish from starvation, and also the masses running around with guns trying to hunt, that is just asking for anarchy and death.

It's called survival of the fittest. Those who can't hunt and survive will fall the the way side. I hate to break it to you but this is coming so you better start practicing now!!!!

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by DavidsHope
Went for one of my very long bike rides day before yesterday. I made it a point to observe corn fields, as well as beans. I grew up in West central IL. I live in Central Illinois now. I know corn. I worked for farmers in their fields, and I know what damaged corn and beans look like. What I saw prompted me to talk to my wife about putting even more back. We have talked to our friends and family.
Condition Corn: Stalks are already brown at the bottom. Most half way up. Leaves are either dead or dying or very close with leaves pointing straight up and curled in. Some ears large, most not. I could not tell how much loss of kernel there may be on the cobs, but most of the silk is dried brown rather than developing. No rain or very little. Noted some areas of many fields appear healthy as well. Percentage unknown RE damage.
We are going to prepare for this. I planted 22 tomato plants this spring...They are now 75% dead despite daily watering.
As of now. I don't really know what the farmers think. I only know what I see, and what I see prompts me to prepare for some shortages and price jumps.
If we prepare and all is well then we only have a surplus. If we do not we can blame only ourselves when we have nothing....
This is our perspective of crops from the central IL town we live in. You did ask; This is my take from what I have seen in Central IL. My take on it is that this does not look good at all.

Great post and observations. Thanks for this contribution. It is startling....and most of us know how much corn is used for in the United States. The corn crop WILL cause a price hike in 90% of the foods we eat.

Scary stuff

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I usually have cnbc on in the background in the mornings. This is a big deal in the stock market also. Funny thing with living things, they can die. 2 weeks ago, this was not being talked about and then on a dime the weather disobeyed and we could be screwed.

I do think it would be good to stock now, basically because of the future prices of things going to be going up dramatically. ALso if you have livestock, stock up on feed too. And then lets hope that if the prices rise they do come down again in a better crop year, I have my doubts about that though.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   

It's called survival of the fittest. Those who can't hunt and survive will fall the the way side. I hate to break it to you but this is coming so you better start practicing now!!!!

What you say is true. People up here in my mountain area...are already having discussions of how we should be prepared to protect what we have when the government reaches the pivotal tipping point between those who can afford to keep feeding themselves, and those who just want to take what they need. It's coming to that.

Hunger and desperation drives people to do things they never thought they would do. One point being the number of local farmers having their fields raided...never happened like this before. Maybe people stealing to sell elsewhere, or to feed themselves. Either way...it's just wrong. Folks are only going to put up with so much before they fight back.

Des

edit on 10-7-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Palmer drought index appears to concur.

[url= www.ncdc.noaa.gov...] /url]

Southern California and the western states have been hit hard. Looks like the eastern US will be able to take advantage of local farm markets. The Chicago commodity pits usually determine prices for staples like corn, wheat and soybeans. Looks like a tough year for the western US farmers.
edit on 10-7-2012 by Cauliflower because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Cauliflower

Wow, I didn't realize California was so dried out! I live here and it seems fairly typical weather, although come to think of it, we did not get much rain this past season at all.

My garden is doing ok, other than my melons and squashs seem to be drying up, yet are getting enough water.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
The great thing about being a prepper, I am already ready.

and yes, in certain circles around the net people are talking about this, prices are going to be insane if the weather situation doesn't turn around.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Look what the drought has done to bean prices since June!

futures.tradingcharts.com...

Yipes corns even worse...

futures.tradingcharts.com...
edit on 10-7-2012 by Cauliflower because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by DavidsHope
little. Noted some areas of many fields appear healthy as well. Percentage unknown RE damage.

@ "despite watering" sounds a problem , a definite one. and why , iwe asking already , are there no new potatoes

its not discounted , that the seedstock , potentially globally , has something wrong with it / 2012 is a bad batch /monsanto is bad batch / the seeds are genetically warped by radiation/ possibly solved by heritage seedbanks/libraries /possibly not

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join