It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food Prices about to sky rocket, be prepared.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+17 more 
posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I am not a farmer, but do have a large farming family. also my Father in Law raises cattle, goats, chickens, and pigs as a kind of hobby.

Anyways, This past weekend I was helping him with keeping the animals as cool as possible is the heat. every few hours we had to go out and refill/cool down the water buckets of the animals as well as water down the hogs so they didn't over heat. This was a constant thing all weekend, yet he doesn't have a lot of animals.

I was talking with him, and many animals around the area were dropping like flies, because it became impossible for many of the larger farms to keep up with all the cattle and such. luckily my father in law has only lost chickens out of the severe heat.

The corn crops around his house are far from fully grown, and most of them are starting to turn yellow or even brown around the bases, while the soy beans aren't looking good either.

This is just one area of the state (eastern indiana) and though it looks a little better on the western part of the state, it doesn't look a whole lot better.

This is going on all over the country, in areas much of our food comes from.

Unless we get rain soon, much of the crops in the midwest will be done for, causing the price to go up in most of the food we eat. The extreme heat has caused much of the livestock to suffer, and even if the majority do survive, the cost of feeding them will go up for the ranchers which in turn will make the price of meat go up.

Don't count on sea food being cheaper either, as it is down as well (especially in the gulf).

my suggestion, stock up as much as you can while it's still reasonable to buy.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I'll have to agree with you. I work in the fertilizer industry, and come in contact with MANY farmers and industry experts....Be prepared people....Crops are looking bad, and prices are about to go up. I'm already making preparations for what's about to happen.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
My wife isn't going to be happy about this. She loves her food, lol

Maybe this will give her the push she needs to start fasting!

How is rice looking?

edit on 10-7-2012 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I've been warning people here too. My neighbors are all farmers and are seriously worried about their crops. I've been stocking up a bit, but I will be ramping it up now, before fall.

Unfortunately this means a lot of hungry people this winter.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by tw0330

They're already soaring at a disturbing rate. Add the ensuing fields of pop corn and the elite will have their depop going strong on a variety of fronts. Famine being the main course.
SnF !
edit on 10-7-2012 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Just to help others understand the scope of the situation, could each person who has noticed crop problems in their areas, or knows of farmers who are concerned in an areas post the state and area of the state that is effected.

In my case, All of central Indiana more so in the eastern part of the state, but all of the state is being effected

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Already noted outside the US over a week back

www.irishtimes.com...

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
www.agweb.com...

Go there. Farmers regularly post reports on their crops. You will notice many saying they are in for a bad year.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Could this have anything to do with the jet stream suddenly changing?

Hummmm...

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Thanks for this OP

We've had an only slightly warmer than normal summer so far, but my squash has been DYING in the sunlight. They are planted on the same strip they've always been, and I've never had this problem.

The leaves on all my pumpkin plants, summer squash, cucumbers starter turning up, as if they were trying to shade themselves from the sun. It's hard to explain, but it looked unnatural. I brought a friend over who is an expert gardener, and he didn't think the sun was the problem. Within a week of his visit I started getting yellowing and obvious sunburn.

I have since bought a roll of screen material, the stuff they use in screen doors, and suspended it in a line above my squash. I used some bamboo poles I got for like $2 each for supports. It doesn't look that pretty, but it has made a huge difference and I can tell my plants are much happier. This might not be a good solution for huge gardens/farms, but if you have a smaller garden this has worked wonders for me.

So far my grandparents have had no problems with their livestock, my gramps runs a crop project for the LDS Church (he's not Mormon) which includes a feedlot and a few hundred acres of crop. If I hear of any similar issues I will post here.

I'm in Salt Lake City, Utah. My grandparents are in Central Utah.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
It's not going to be nice at all..

One variety of coffee went up by 30 pence the other day, and someone was telling me about some other product going up by 70 pence..

Saw on the news yesterday how many farms in UK are so flooded that crops have just been washed out of the ground, tonnes of potatos rotting where they're growing...

The US is going through extreme heat whilst the UK is getting drowned.

There was a report the other day how food prices in UK might go up as we might have to get some foods from California.. ???

Dunno what's going on there...

I got vegetables in the garden that arew just simply not growing. My runner beans should be right up the canes but are barely a 1/4 of the way up and just seem asleep..

It's all bad.. everywhere..

Petrol prices came down a bit the other week.. which I found to be strange.. maybe someone knew the bad weather we were going to get would affect food prices so to keep thepubli calm they manipulated the fuel price..
Just thinking out loud.. Got no proof of that.. but hey.. anythings possible

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Friends who have a mere 80 head of cattle, told me last weekend, the lack of rain and huge jumps in feed prices are about to put them out of business. No rain, no grazing. What profit they can sell the cattle for, is being eaten by soaring feeding costs. Also have friends in Texas who've lost everything in the cattle business.

Everyone I know who has a spoonful of dirt, has something planted on it. I am already hearing stories from neighbors on my mountain, who live on the main roads, having their crops raided at night by people from down the mountain. Just stopping cars, and filling pillow cases with corn for God's sake!

If times and food prices get much worse...it's gonna get real ugly.

Des

edit on 10-7-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
US drought puts corn, oybeans in worst state since 1988

Heat, drought take toll on kansas farm crops

A wide range of potential yields and profits

Farmer says Arkansas drought turns cattle ranch into 'desert'

Food price worry as US crops worst since 1988

Corn Soybeans could effect hog industry

Purdue: Food price hike likely after long drought

INDIANAPOLIS — The drought that’s hitting much of the Midwest this summer will hit consumers in the pocketbook by next year, Purdue agricultural experts said Thursday. The persistent hot, dry weather has hit farm production in Indiana, the nation’s fifth-largest producer of corn, harder than any other major corn and soybean producing state, economist Chris Hurt said at a news conference in Indianapolis. The conditions have shrunk corn and soybean production and dried up pastures where cattle feed in summertime, Hurt said. U.S. food prices tend to rise when production decreases in major farm states and the drought is likely to affect production in other breadbasket states too, he said.

edit on 10-7-2012 by tw0330 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
1988 was a terrible year for crops. A drought in the early part of the season caused havoc for most the growing year. Farmers still recall how bad 88 was. Now, read this comment and understand why food prices are on the rise:

7/10 - Washington County, Ill.: This is my 50th year of grain farming, so I think that I can say that I've seen it all. This is worse than 1988-Much worse for corn. Beans could still be fair if it starts to rain soon. Sat.-Sun. rains totaled only 1/4 inch.

Again, I urge all to read some of these comments from farmers from AGweb in order to understand how bad this is.

www.agweb.com...

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Covertblack

I work our local Farmer's Market up here every weekend. We've only been opened for the season for 5 weeks now. I see friends selling out by 10 in the morning, and not knowing if their dwindling crops will provide enough to sell in coming weekends. Lack of rain, and screwy weather has put a major dent in output. Also, more and more people from way out of the area are coming up with trucks and buying everything some folks have, to take down the mountain to sell for a lot more.

I make hand made soaps. I'm lucky in that a lot of folks who sell at the farmers market like to barter their veggies/fruits for my goods. But, the season will only last for so long....then it's back to higher prices at the grocery stores. I really feel for large families who have a bunch of kids and elderly parents to feed.

I agree, can and dry what you can now. Store up on goods, things are heading in a bad direction.

Des

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
what ever happened to feeding cows GRASS

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
suggestions:

Stock up on canned goods, potatoes, and other fruit/vegetables that save a while.

Stock up on Spices, as the weather will effect them too.

buy a large deep freezer, Find a local person who raises live stock, buy a cow (or split it with someone), hog, or what ever, and have it slaughtered for you. Chances are you will have to pay for it (or put a claim on it) prior to it being ready for slaughter, but it will save you a ton of money down the road.
NOTE: you can not sell the meat once it is slaughtered and packaged though.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by wlord
what ever happened to feeding cows GRASS

The grass is all dead in most places. it dies before the corn or soybeans do

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by MentorsRiddle
Could this have anything to do with the jet stream suddenly changing?

Hummmm...

Yes, chances are it does

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
This is why I have a 2 acre garden planted with non GMO seeds. As far as meat is concerned I hunt and catch almost everything I eat. This price hike sucks but will not effect me. I know how to live off the land as should everyone. I feel sorry for city dwelling people who have lived their whole lives without learning how to live off the land. Their parents have done them a real dis service not teaching them.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join