It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coach punches Female Basketball Player After Loss

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by tothetenthpower

It is more than gender roles.

Women have less dense muscle and require a higher percentage of bodyfat just to survive. Elite male athletes can get down to less than 5% bodyfat with no problem, but if a female gets below 10% they will have health impacts. The first of which is the loss of their menstrual cycle, but after that they can have other hormonal issues, liver problems, and other issues.

Our bodies are different. The average female is several inches shorter than the average male, and average body weight it much lower. Strength and Speed records are different from males to females.

If two men want to fight out their differences, as long as they don't kill each other, I have no problem with it. If two females want to fight out their differences, fine. But if a male wants to beat up a female it is wrong on so many levels.

I don't know what you look like TTTP, but I know what I look like, and I know what my wife looks like. I could probably punch you a time or two without any lasting effects, you'd survive. If I punched my wife, she would be broken. No doubt about it. My fist is almost as big as her head, and the bones in my fist are drastically stronger and more hardened than the ones in her face.

It's not ok to hit girls. I don't care if it sounds chauvinistic or outdated or old fashioned, it isn't some societal norm, there are solid reasons to back it up. It's just not ok.
edit on 10-7-2012 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

Thank you for verbalizing what I've tried to state.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
reply to post by amongus

World peace is not possible, never said that.

Utopias are a pipe dream, however social constructs that are impacting us negatively and prevent us from at least moving beyond our differences at least a little bit, are not out of reach.

Thinking they are is the un-realistic part.

~Tenth

Never said that I thought it was out of reach. You are pretending that we are already at that point, tenth, yet we are not.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by amongus

Of course we aren't, but if we never make it clear to those who think it's OK for this to be the current reality, when will it ever change?

Voicing your dissent regarding an idiotic and pointless social construct is just as pertinant as having it changed down the road.

How do you think anything else got done in this world? People complained about it.

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
We take sports way too seriously in this country.

It's no longer about the game (RIP baseball), it's about the money.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   

reply to post by amongus

Of course we aren't, but if we never make it clear to those who think it's OK for this to be the current reality, when will it ever change?

Voicing your dissent regarding an idiotic and pointless social construct is just as pertinant as having it changed down the road.

How do you think anything else got done in this world? People complained about it.

~Tenth

Complaining about something, and saying that there is no difference between a man hitting a woman and a woman hitting a man is a different ball of wax.....you stated that there was no difference between the two, and that is just idiotic on so many levels.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by amongus

No it's not, there is no difference socially.

Violence is violence, doesn't matter who is involved. Part of the problem is that we consider one worst than the other.

It's fine if you don't believe that, it's fine if you think I'm delusional, but the fact remains that it doesn't matter what your gender is, you don't have the right to assault another human being, period.

The details aren't important.

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

In general, you are probably right, but I don't see the harm in two good ol' boys duking it out. I've met some of my best friends that way. Actually, thinking back, I think I've had to fight with all of my best friends at one time or another to establish that mutual respect. One of them I met through a fight, and another, we were already acquaintances, but he is a cocky prick, and he didn't have the proper respect for me until I took him down a couple of notches, and now we're certainly equal and then some.

There is a difference between a good old brawl, or an attitude adjustment, compared to an assault. I never agree with just going out and beating up an innocent person, but I don't see the harm in two guys testing their metal against each other and coming to some mutual understanding the hard way.

Of course, it has to be mutual, or one of the guys has to be a really bad person. I wouldn't beat up some weaker man just to prove I could, especially when we both already knew that to be the case. Not unless he was assaulting someone else, or refusing to just go away.

BUT, sometimes there are fairly equally matched men, and you just need to find out who is the real deal, and who is full of it.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   

reply to post by Classified Info

What does it matter if it was a female or a male?

Seems like one is not worse than the other.

Here is one reason why I think it is different:Just look at the size of male 17 year old college basketball players these days. The coach probably would have never had tried it and if he had would have more than likely got the living you know what beat out of him.

edit on 7/10/2012 by Classified Info because: deletion

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by tw0330
The coach should be charged with assault of his player.because:

He was arrested on a misdemeanor battery charge.I thought it would be a heavier charge than that. If you place your hands around somebodies throat doesn't that open the door for attempted manslaughter?
edit on 7/10/2012 by Classified Info because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by amongus

Originally posted by amongus

What does it matter if it was a female or a male?

Seems like one is not worse than the other.

This is just disgusting, and this is why I'm against organized sports. Far too much abuse.

~Tenth

What? Talk about ignorance. Is it ok for a girl to slap a man? Yep...is it ok for a man to slap a girl? Nope.

What world are you living in? What does it matter if a male assaulted a female? Really?

How is one worse than another?

Are you some how stating that it's ok for women to hurt men but not the other way around? Cause that's the twisted mind set not the one where I claim violence is bad regardless of gender.

What world are YOU living in that still has gender roles and Misandry?

~Tenth

It's called the real world tenth...wow.

I'd love for women to chime in on this.

Eta: how many women do you see being thrown in jail for hitting a man vs a man being thrown in jail for assaulting a woman. How do you not know the difference?
edit on 10-7-2012 by amongus because: (no reason given)

don't be ridiculous- it isn't ok for a man to physically assault a woman or a woman to pyhsically assault a man, get off your knees and stand up for yerself ffs

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
For the record, the coach says he was the one attacked, and that he only subdued her, and her injuries were just scrapes to her legs, nothing to her face apparently.

There are always two sides to every story. The coach was arrested later at a restaurant and only faces midemeanor charges.

When they say "punched" they might mean "blocked," and when they say "choked," they might mean "sleeper hold." It is possible that this girl was going nuts, and he really did just defend himself and then hold her down, and maybe the parent that was a witness misconstrued what they saw. Who knows?

As I said earlier, if a grown man punches a teen girl in the face, there will be evidence. There is a picture of the guy in the link, and he isn't a large man, but he looks fit.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

well said, be interesting to see how this pans out, hopefully in the meantime he isn't attacked with a chainsaw or hung by his balls

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Some of my co-workers are saying basically the same thing, "there is more here than meets the eye". I am sure ,ore will come out in the coming days and I am going to be watching for it.

One parent did corroborate the girls story though.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
The story is developing quickly now. USA Today has even picked it up...

The coach's daughter and the girl had engaged in a brief verbal stand-off before the coach got involved, the report states. Fred Freeman, 47, Hartford, Wisc., faces a battery charge.

Plus this

The suspect … grabbed the victim tightly around her torso. (Washington) heard the victim tell the suspect to get off of her and witnessed the victim start to punch the suspect," the report states. "The two fell to the ground, and the victim continued to resist the suspect. The suspect and victim made it back to their feet, and the suspect grabbed the victim again and slammed her back into the ground."

That's when the coach's daughter apparently sought to intervene.

It seems he was breaking up an altercation between his daughter and the victim, and he had grabbed the victim, and she was punching him, and he threw her to the ground.

Seems like a big overreaction on the coach's part, but then again emotions were high, and his daughter was involved, so he probably didn't react rationally.

He might deserve the misdemeanor charge, but it isn't like he beat the girl up for losing the game.

USA Today
edit on 10-7-2012 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by sheepslayer247

There is some drug abuse in professional sports, but the "meatheadedness" is not as prevalent as it used to be.

I know of several professional football players that are homosexual, and they are still elite players, and their teammates know about them, and it isn't a big deal in most cases. Professional athletes also spend a lot of time studying film, studying theory, practicing interview skills, taking finishing courses for manners and etiquette.

Organized sports are far from a waste of time! I bet I've learned more through sports than schooling over the years.

As always, you make a great point.

I suppose I am guilty over over-generalizing.

As I said before, I was an athlete in many sports for many years and I have seen how the "culture" can become twisted. Organized sports can play an important roll in the development of young people, similar to music, but it all depends on how they are coached and subjected to the sport.

This is just my opinion, but professional sports are a complete distraction, a waste of time and College sports are an abomination as these institutions use these kids to profit, while their education plays a backseat role.

edit on 10-7-2012 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

College sports are an abomination as these institutions use these kids to profit, while their education plays a backseat role.

While I love college sports, and I would hate to see them go away, I have to agree with you on the profit and exploitation! A college kid gets a discount on a hot dog, and he is in violation of a hundred different NCAA violations, and he could lose his scholarship, but the University can make millions selling that same kids jersey.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Great coach...I'm sure he will do well in jail..but seriously lets get rid of the WNBA....

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 05:23 AM
link   
reply to post by chrismarco

But seriously, the WNBA attendance figures are really not very bad and they have showed 5 consecutive years of growth. I think it is here to stay and will continue to grow.

Now womans Golf...that is another story.

As far as this story goes I think these players that were playing in this tournament could be considered the cream of the crop. I am not familiar with girls basketball but most tournaments (boys) played at this time of year are being played by mainly those who have already made a commitment to a major university and will be making that next step to the next level. Some of the games are televised and the talent level is great. It is a chance to see future stars while they are still "young".

That is why this story should of brought up red flags for me but didn't at first. These girls that were playing are more than likely all star caliber on the H.S. level and a coach wouldn't physically assault an elite player for having one bad game like that.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join