It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calls by Islamists to Destroy Egyptian Pyramids Begin

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I say go ahead and let them try, at least it will keep them busy before they give up in about 20 years.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by jar11
I wanted to call attention to this article that my partner and I came across this morning. The idea of this makes me SICK. This cannot happen. How could this even be proposed? I'm not sure of the validity of this source but I wanted to post it here for some healthy debate on this. What do you think??
Calls my Islamists to Destroy Egyptian Pyramids begin

Accordingly, while many Egyptians—Muslims and non-Muslims alike—see themselves as Egyptians, Islamists have no national identity, identifying only with Islam’s “culture,” based on the “sunna” of the prophet and Islam’s language, Arabic. This sentiment was clearly reflected when the former Leader of the Muslim Brotherhood, Muhammad Akef, declared “the hell with Egypt,” indicating that the interests of his country are secondary to Islam’s. It is further telling that such calls are being made now—immediately after a Muslim Brotherhood member became Egypt’s president. In fact, the same reports discussing the call to demolish the last of the Seven Wonders of the Word, also note that Egyptian Salafis are calling on Morsi to banish all Shias and Baha’is from Egypt.

Discuss!

In addition to the threat to the pyramids, is the threat to the very real people of the Baha'i Faith, and the Shias (the other major sect of Islam). The Baha'is have never been particularly welcome in Egypt, but now their lives and property may be in jeopardy. They are peaceful and bound to the laws of the country they live in. In addition to holding the pyramids safe (the destruction of them would be a crime against humanity - I cried when the Buddhist statues were blown up - now this possibility???), please please please keep the Baha'i community of Egypt in your thoughts.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
This is some of the most revolting propositions I have ever heard of. The idea that this is possible is literally making me feel ill.

If this happens I can say without remorse that I wish a long slow death come to those who did it.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
This is not the first or last time that the Egyptian pyramids have been targeted for destruction..

At the end of the twelfth century al-Malek al-Aziz Othman ben Yusuf, Saladin's son and heir, attempted to demolish the pyramids starting with Menkaure's pyramid. They found it almost as expensive to destroy as to build. They stayed at their job for eight months. They were not able to remove more than one or two stones each day at a cost of tiring themselves out utterly. Some used wedges and levers to move the stones while others used ropes to pull them down. When it fell it would bury itself in the sand requiring extraordinary efforts to free it. Wedges were used to split the stones into several pieces and a cart was used to carry it to the foot of the escarpment, where it was left. Far from accomplishing what they intended to do they merely spoiled the pyramid by leaving a large vertical gash in its north face.
Source

However, unlike in the twelfth century where wedges, hammers and levers were employed, those wishing to carry out such destruction today now have military grade or even just ordinary demolition charges available to them. It would not require the dismantling of any pyramid, just collapsing the internal structures in on themselves would suffice in destroying any pyramid for ever.. Assuming these calls for the destruction of the pyramids are true, they are only meant for fringe, hardliner, outside groups to take up the call as it would easier for them to slip away in the uproar this would cause. But remember, the military still control all the important aspects of running Egypt and while this remains so, I believe the pyramids will remain as safe as can be under the present circumstances.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
It's just a couple million cut rocks stacked up. It doesn't make a difference at all if they destroy it...

Everyone is being completely sentimental and it's silly. This is all based on subjective opinion and taste.

Sure they will kill whatever is left of the tourist industry there, and it will be a huge waste of their resources and manpower, but hey it is their call.

Did they ever consider instead of destroying some old stack of rocks, they could instead attempt to construct the world's largest mosque? Something forward looking with positive intentions like that would improve their standing and increase the influx of tourists.
edit on 11-7-2012 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Time to get rid of ISLAM!

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
There are radical groups calling for Egypt pyrmids to be destroyed.Heard about it last month but I doubt if this ever happens.Muslim Brotherrhood though could unite with the Egyptian military government and call for marches on Jeruslalem.Then who knows how far this would go then.May turn into something like Iran.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sicul2012
Time to get rid of ISLAM!

Try it and you will have your arse handed to you.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by jar11

This should come as no suprise. In what we today call radical Islam, it is a tradition for them to destroy anything not related to Islam, or their version of it at least ( a recent example is the destrution of tombs in the mosques of timbuktu, apparently, they are seen as idolatrous, and not in the true spirit of Muhhamod). Throughout the history of this religeon, they have either destroyed cultural sites and left them as rubble ( The ancient buddhist statues in Afganistan) or have built mosques on top of the religeous sites of conquered cultures ( over 2000 hindu temples in India converted into mosques, numerous christian and byzintene churches turned into mosques, such as the Dome of the Rock Mosque in Jeruselem, a church demolished and made a mosque in spain). Why would we be suprised when the radical element becomes law, and seeks to destroy ancient Egyptian cultural sites? They destroyed the library at Alexandria, and contrary to popular belief, it was the muslims, not Napoleon, who broke the nose off of the sphinx. If they try to destroy these momuments today, it will become a focal point for hostility from much of the world. Wheter anyone intervenes to save them is another story.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Lets them.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by SuperFrog
reply to post by SaturnFX

Please watch this video and let me would you bomb that nation, as government at the time was elected and it is still elected by people living in that nation?

You mistake my position. I am a non-interventionist overall (anti-war). Just saying with some things, it goes beyond my personal idealism. World wonders are definitely one of those things. This isn't some tyrant killing his own people for lulz, this is someone deciding to destroy a cultural and societal evolution wonder. At that point, my views are moot...like someone wanting to blow up the moon..it effects everyone and even future generations.

If we as a generation are so monkey retarded that we would blow up the pyramids..then the responsible thing is to seal the pyramids off from this generation entirely so that in a few hundred years, clever descendents can enjoy what we are to bat-=-= crazy to be allowed access into. Its not about our enjoyment, its about preserving overall. Some things rise above human considerations..world wonders are one of those.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Islam = submission (lit.)

The world needs to make a decision to either spoil to eradicate this veritable disease on humanity -or- submit to its insane whims.

For, by very definition, there is no compromise with intolerance

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

Originally posted by SuperFrog
reply to post by SaturnFX

Please watch this video and let me would you bomb that nation, as government at the time was elected and it is still elected by people living in that nation?

You mistake my position. I am a non-interventionist overall (anti-war). Just saying with some things, it goes beyond my personal idealism. World wonders are definitely one of those things. This isn't some tyrant killing his own people for lulz, this is someone deciding to destroy a cultural and societal evolution wonder. At that point, my views are moot...like someone wanting to blow up the moon..it effects everyone and even future generations.

If we as a generation are so monkey retarded that we would blow up the pyramids..then the responsible thing is to seal the pyramids off from this generation entirely so that in a few hundred years, clever descendents can enjoy what we are to bat-=-= crazy to be allowed access into. Its not about our enjoyment, its about preserving overall. Some things rise above human considerations..world wonders are one of those.

I think you put this very well and it's better than what I came up with. It is generational in it's value and we have the responsibility in this time, here and now, to protect what has stood for us so that it may be there for generations a century or several centuries into the future.

On your second point, sadly, I have to agree. Egypt has been a wise curator all these years in being near fanatic about limiting access and exploration. There is so much there still unexplored and it is because it's so hard to get to....or there isn't a clear path at all yet. Hence, likely untouched and unlooted.

Perhaps....somewhere in those mountains of rock also hides remnants of some of the knowledge the Ancients handed down to the modern Egyptians. I'm actually betting on it. The date of these things is all correct and the precision these giant structures were built with (in relation to the Earth and lines a primitive slave culture shouldn't have known existed at all, not the masonry) suggests it's possible. It can't be allowed to be destroyed. Whatever it takes to preserve and protect.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Another hoax news report...

thedailynewsegypt.com...

"Calls from a Bahraini Sunni cleric urging President Mohamed Morsy to destroy the Giza Pyramids were issued from a parody Twitter account online, the Daily News Egypt has learned..."

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Hah, good luck trying to destroy them. 4000 years of sand and earthquakes could not do it.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Ghost Who Walks

thedailynewsegypt.com...

"Calls from a Bahraini Sunni cleric urging President Mohamed Morsy to destroy the Giza Pyramids were issued from a parody Twitter account online, the Daily News Egypt has learned..."

Or, an outpouring of outrage from around the world, has caused back peddling...

Des

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by jar11
I wanted to call attention to this article that my partner and I came across this morning. The idea of this makes me SICK. This cannot happen. How could this even be proposed? I'm not sure of the validity of this source but I wanted to post it here for some healthy debate on this. What do you think??
Calls my Islamists to Destroy Egyptian Pyramids begin

Accordingly, while many Egyptians—Muslims and non-Muslims alike—see themselves as Egyptians, Islamists have no national identity, identifying only with Islam’s “culture,” based on the “sunna” of the prophet and Islam’s language, Arabic. This sentiment was clearly reflected when the former Leader of the Muslim Brotherhood, Muhammad Akef, declared “the hell with Egypt,” indicating that the interests of his country are secondary to Islam’s. It is further telling that such calls are being made now—immediately after a Muslim Brotherhood member became Egypt’s president. In fact, the same reports discussing the call to demolish the last of the Seven Wonders of the Word, also note that Egyptian Salafis are calling on Morsi to banish all Shias and Baha’is from Egypt.

Discuss!

LOL. Good luck with that. Disassembling them is only slightly less difficult than building them in the first place...although one would have to figure out where to pile up all the limestone, wouldn't they?

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

Originally posted by The Ghost Who Walks

thedailynewsegypt.com...

Or, an outpouring of outrage from around the world, has caused back peddling...

Des

Never known a radical islamist to ever back pedal once they've said something controversial.
I'll go with the hoax explanation.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by The Ghost Who Walks

I hope you are right. The thought of losing the Pyramids is heart wrenching.

Des

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Id hate to see the Pyramids go, but I am curious to see what's below/inside them.... Maybe they would unlock secrets... Maybe there is something "alien" like under the pyramids... My curiousity runs wild when thinking about the Pyramids...

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join