It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your thoughts on A.D. After Disclosure?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I just finished reading A.D. After Disclosure, and I was very disappointed with it. I feel as though Richard Dolan has completely 'jumped the shark' and joined the exopolitics crowd of Salla and Greer.

It's not the speculation about the future that bothered me, but the fact that the book takes as fact many disputed aspects of the conspiracy story.

An excerpt from my review:

Despite my skepticism with respect to the disclosure ‘core narrative’, I have admiration for much of Richard Dolan’s other work concerning UFOs. If not the first, he is certainly the most prominent academic to try to bridge the gap between mainstream political science and the marginalized discipline of ufology. Dolan’s scholarly training as a historian has given his early contributions to the field much needed reflexivity and analytical rigour, Something sorely lacking elsewhere in the contemporary UFO community.

By contrast, this book is peppered with buzzwords from the exopolitics/disclosure movement: “truth embargo” “false flag” “MJ-12” “free energy” “anti-gravitics”. Seemingly pulled from the dark corners of the conspiracy Internet we also find aspects of millennial eschatology: “It will end soon”… “it’s inevitable”. In A.D. After Disclosure, the authors’ eagerness to abide less credible ideas tarnishes the impact of their overall contribution

Source: Review of A.D. After Disclosure

I know that ATS should be a sympathetic audience for a book like this, but does anybody here feel the same as me? Are there any others who wish Dolan would stick to 'the facts and nothing but the facts'?

edit on 10-7-2012 by kristobal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by kristobal

He starts off with "UFOs and the National Security State", which I thought very interesting, then I listen to some interviews the last few years, where he's getting very strange in his beliefs. Almost Steven Greer-like. Very disappointing.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Book was a copout and Dolan/Zable knows it. Then I had the misfortune to hear him and Bryce Zable in an interview.

It is my opinion that the tag team of Zable and Dolan left much to be desired, as Mr. Zable, in the hope of “rebooting” his defunct series, (Dark Skies), kept Mr. Dolan in line as to make sure that the “ET hype” was not washed out of the speak. Mr. Zable complains about having his “Dark Skies” name taken, and used by someone else for another program, but is more than willing to take Mr. Bigelow’s idea of “confirmation,” spinning it into his very own definition, which is totally contrary to Mr. Bigelow’s.

Quite amusing I found Mr. Zable comparing their research to the Rand Corporation's think tank. As the Rand Corporation uses PhD’s in theology, physics, economics, psychology, just to name a few of the disciplines. Mr. Dolan on the other hand spoke to every conceivable, paranoid conspiracy theory, attempting to cram, slam, ram, and jam, ten pounds of hype into a five-pound bag. Taking a shot of bourbon, at the mention of each paranoid conspiracy theory laid out by Mr. Dolan, I would suggest that one may be properly anesthetized as to endure the balance of this show. From Aztec to JFK, JFK Jr., Marilyn Monroe, Roswell, Truman, not to mention Velcro, no stone was left unturned.

When visiting the Inception Radio Network website I found a lengthy comment criticizing Mr. Dolan for his less than informed opinion of the Stephenville event among other misspeak, written by Mr. Robert Powell, MUFON’s director of research. However, the debate is unavailable for download. Mr. Zable and Dolan spun a fanciful yarn of what ifs, however if these were to be based in reality, I would have to suggest that they are long shots, and the odds are with the house.

edit on 10-7-2012 by PeaNice because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by kristobal

I'm so disapointed in the whole disclosure thing all together. Enough with the darn testamonials that don't proove squat. Give us the real proof you said you had and you said you were goin to show us or pack it up.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Let's not also forget that he was lecturing with Hoagland last year. I had such hopes for Dolan when he first put out UFOs and the National Security State. Now it looks like he is simply playing the same game as all the other professional "ufologists." He cares more about money than the Truth.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I haven't caught up with A.D as yet as although I do own a copy I have not gone beyond the first couple of chapters. But it is a work of fiction and so the use of wild conspiracy theories is perfectly valid as long as the that fictional world remains consistent with itself within the story. I have heard Rich Dolan speak about it with Bryce Zabel and he did comment that A.D could be written a lot more rapidly as he did not have to check his facts and could write a story rather than history.

Whilst I admire Dolan's 2 volumes of UFOs and the National Security State I have noticed in recent times his stance has changed. From early in his writing career, when he made a point of stating what "he knew" and giving an opinion on "what he thought he knew", he has now embraced a conspiracy theory of the Secret Space Programme/Breakaway Civilization. We all have to make a living I suppose and he could be doing it simply for the money. But then again perhaps Richard Dolan has become so immersed in the folklore, listened to Hoagland and Greer too many times and perhaps been given snippets of information from "secret" sources that he has lost the objectivity he once had?

I, for one, don't like the current direction Richard Dolan is heading in.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Maybe at the end of the day these people are like the protesters right out on the edge. They know stuff, and the "authorities" know they know stuff, but there's a kind of unspoken rule where even though they push it, and sometimes go over the edge, like they have to, they don't go too far over the edge because of the possible consequences.

So there's a good chance that Greer, Dolan, and many others do pretty much know, but they can only go so far. Like they can, to use the old cliche, show us the door, but that's all they can do, it's us that have to walk through it in the way of following up the research and realising what they're getting at.

A quote from Hunter S. Thompson comes to mind here too :

"If I'd written all the truth I knew for the past ten years, about 600 people - including me - would be rotting in prison cells from Rio to Seattle today. Absolute truth is a very rare and dangerous commodity in the context of professional journalism."

Or, maybe Dolan and the rest of them are just full of snip. But I'm not judging them either way.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Quite amusing I found Mr. Zable comparing their research to the Rand Corporation's think tank. As the Rand Corporation uses PhD’s in theology, physics, economics, psychology, just to name a few of the disciplines. Mr. Dolan on the other hand spoke to every conceivable, paranoid conspiracy theory, attempting to cram, slam, ram, and jam, ten pounds of hype into a five-pound bag. Taking a shot of bourbon, at the mention of each paranoid conspiracy theory laid out by Mr. Dolan, I would suggest that one may be properly anesthetized as to endure the balance of this show. From Aztec to JFK, JFK Jr., Marilyn Monroe, Roswell, Truman, not to mention Velcro, no stone was left unturned.

PeaNice: I like your style! Hearing that Dolan went on tour with Hoaxland (brought up by another member) just turns my stomach. I might not be able to hold down that Bourbon!

What is it about the Disclosure topic that makes seemingly sane people absolutely lose their sh*t? maybe there's a counter intelligence op to put drugs in Greer, Salla and Dolan's conference water??

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by PeaNice

Quite amusing I found Mr. Zable comparing their research to the Rand Corporation's think tank. As the Rand Corporation uses PhD’s in theology, physics, economics, psychology, just to name a few of the disciplines. Mr. Dolan on the other hand spoke to every conceivable, paranoid conspiracy theory, attempting to cram, slam, ram, and jam, ten pounds of hype into a five-pound bag.

Sorry I missed this. The Rand corporation? Aren't they like one of the most connected, in several types of ways, organizations in America? So how do you know that even that place isn't full of hype and propaganda that's dressed up in biased and technical science jargon when you get into the details? Or very selective in what it researches and so on? It could even turn out that you have Dolan, etc, on one side and the respected people of the Rand corporation on the other, and that the truth actually lies somewhere inbetween.

Just saying because I can't blindly believe any of them really. It doesn't matter about respect to me, it's what agendas might be lurking about in the background. So just because the people of the Rand corporation are all respected and so on, it doesn't mean they're right, and on the same token, that because Dolan and the people he researches with aren't so respected, that they're wrong. And vice versa. Hopefully you know what I mean anyway.

Sorry, just to add : I personally thought Dolan was amazing at first, and I've not read any of his books. But then I listened to a few of his speeches on youtube and I have to admit it seems like he's left the research behind to an extent and now does jump the shark too often with no evidence given. But maybe he assumes most people he's speaking to have read his books, and that they know where he's coming from. It's not so easily accesible listening to him though if you haven't, and I do wonder about him of course. But at the same time I can't judge him.

I do like to check back on people like him though and am going to now, because there's always the chance they know exactly what they're talking about, and if so the bits and pieces they do mention can be researched further and obviously help a lot.
edit on 10-7-2012 by robhines because: added

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcalibur254
Let's not also forget that he was lecturing with Hoagland last year. I had such hopes for Dolan when he first put out UFOs and the National Security State. Now it looks like he is simply playing the same game as all the other professional "ufologists." He cares more about money than the Truth.

His wife - and her money - are tired of carrying the financial burden so Dolan gas to do something to push forward an adenda that will bring in a few shekels instead of spending bucketloads flying all over the planet giving speeches.

Want a real stunner?

Go listen to his absolutely boring snoozola of a three hour podcast - all by himself
- once a week. His ego would suck an amphitheater dry of air.

Gawd!!!!!!!!

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Dolan's wife - and her money - are tired of carrying the financial burden so Dolan gas to do something to push forward an adenda that will bring in a few shekels instead of spending bucketloads flying all over the planet giving speeches.

Want a real stunner?

Go listen to his absolutely boring snoozola of a three hour podcast - all by himself

Gawd!!!!!!!!

I did ti. I couldn't help myself.

Dolan's excessively mundane podcast is the most self-indulging, super-egoed collection of trash 0 and 1s I have run across in some time. What happened to him?

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by PulsusHilarisCaro

Dolan's wife - and her money - are tired of carrying the financial burden so Dolan gas to do something to push forward an adenda that will bring in a few shekels instead of spending bucketloads flying all over the planet giving speeches.

Want a real stunner?

Gawd!!!!!!!!

I did ti. I couldn't help myself.

Dolan's excessively mundane podcast is the most self-indulging, super-egoed collection of trash 0 and 1s I have run across in some time. What happened to him?

The radio show producer blew a bunch of hot, white air up his a$$, Dolan's career has hit a wall, he really thinks he can pull off rambling on for 3 hours with no guests, he's bored and has nothing else to do but entertain his family, friends and himself, and he's deluded. Outside of that, I have no idea.

top topics

join