It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So you think your an Atheist? Take my test...

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by SuperFrog

Originally posted by adjensen
"Hitchens vs God (god loses by the way)" should be nominated for "most ironic video title ever"... I wonder how Hitch's pomposity served him when he actually had the opportunity to debate God.

And you for sure know that he had that opportunity?? Interesting. You know something we don't.
Message still stay, even after Hitchen.

Well, he seemed to want to argue with God more than anything else, so one would hope that he got his wish, right?

Atheism is the one point of view where you can NEVER know that you're right

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream

Originally posted by GmoS719

Originally posted by WienelPistor
reply to post by GmoS719

Atheism is a REJECTION of belief(s) in a higher power, it is not a belief system. That's all that being an Atheist means.

Any way you spin it. You believe there is no god. You don't believe in a God.
It means the same thing. It's a belief.
And if that's all being an atheist meant then why do you guys try so hard to bash religion?
That's right, chalk one down on the beliefs column.

There is no spin to it...

1)AT DEFAULT there is NO GOD.

2)MAN invented GOD.. thus HE believes in GOD A belief.

Atheist don't have a BELIEF there is no god, we are at still at point 1)DEFAULT - NO GOD. Religious folks are at point 2.
edit on 7/10/2012 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

To say "AT DEFAULT there is NO GOD" is an opinion.
You can't pass that off as a fact.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

If a staunt atheist were confronted by the living God, they would rather die and cease to exist than to face his presence.

Open-mindedness is one thing that they do not seem to possess.

Agnostic OTOH, while an intellectually honest position to take, is just too easy imho.

God is either everything or nothing, and there either is God, even as the living spirit of the universe, or no God and a meaningless and purposeless and indifferent universe.

But to argue about it, between atheists and believers or even mystics and gnostics, is utterly absurd, when you really think about it.

Which makes you wonder who the real dummies are?

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   

reply to post by GmoS719

Atheism is a REJECTION of belief(s) in a higher power, it is not a belief system. That's all that being an Atheist means.

And if that's all being an atheist meant then why do you guys try so hard to bash religion?

Atheist don't have a BELIEF there is no god, we are at still at point 1)DEFAULT - NO GOD. Religious folks are at point 2.

And how would you prove that there was a GOD at the DEFAULT? you can't thus we are left with no evidence for it.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   

reply to post by GmoS719

And how would you prove that there was a GOD at the DEFAULT? you can't thus we are left with no evidence for it.

Ok, So let's say there is no proof for either side.
That means your "No God at Default" argument is invalid.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by GmoS719

Yeah there is no proof, but you still believe in it thus, its on you to provide proof of it. lol and i'm still sticking with the default of no evidence.

Im still at default of No evidence,

Your at a belief with no evidence.

Who here is more correct?

Again, Atheist = does not believe in god because of no evidence. At default, No evidence.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   

reply to post by GmoS719

Yeah there is no proof, but you still believe in it thus, its on you to provide proof of it. lol and i'm still sticking with the default of no evidence.

Again, Atheist = does not believe in god because of no evidence. At default, No evidence.

I could say the same thing and say it's up to you to provide proof there is no God.
How can either side be more correct?
Just like an atheist to think only his BELIEFS can be right.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   

reply to post by GmoS719

I could say the same thing and say it's up to you to provide proof there is no God.
How can either side be more correct?
Just like an atheist to think only his BELIEFS can be right.

There is no BELIEFs on atheist's side. we just simply refute a a person's belief(bringing him back to zero) God, its up to that person to provide me God is real, because, we don't have any evidence for God but somehow this person believes it because his parents and his parent's parents. and so on told him to. Oh ya, don't forget voices in head, that's clearly nothing to do with the brain chemistry.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Im still at default of No evidence

Actually, that's an invalid statement -- you cannot say that there is no evidence, which is an absolute conclusion based on non-absolute observations.

The best you (honestly) can manage is something along the lines of "I personally have seen no evidence that I believe demonstrates the existence of God."

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by whyamIhere

Well, here I was this big bad Atheist.

Yet at my worst moment of my life.

I found myself calling out to God.

I just wonder if others ever had this experience.

I was raised Christian - - so I think its just an automatic response to say: "Oh God" or "Help me God" or whatever.

When I occasionally say it now - - it definitely does not have the same feel or meaning as when I said it when I was a Believer.

Because I believe 100% everything is energy - - - to me god is just a label - - not some omnipotent being.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Actually, that's an invalid statement -- you cannot say that there is no evidence, which is an absolute conclusion based on non-absolute observations.

The best you (honestly) can manage is something along the lines of "I personally have seen no evidence that I believe demonstrates the existence of God."

Something only one person sees cant be taken as evidence for something like that. There is still 0 evidence if its only 1 person's hallucinations. Does a second person sees the same thing? can he prove his observation? Heck he could be lying, whatever was indoctrinated into people head is what they will see. A christian will see a bearded man, etc etc. and maybe a bright light.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   

There is no BELIEFs on atheist's side.

Not completely true.

Atheist simply means "Lack of Belief in God/Deity" - - - it does not exclude Atheists from having "beliefs" or philosophies.

Those are referred to as: "Atheist Philosophy" - - - and are individual to each Atheist.

I know there are Hard Core Atheists that have no believe beyond what can be seen - touched - tested - etc.

But - - Atheist Philosophy is evolving.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Opinion based on facts and observation.

@NewAgeMan - a bit low blow for someone of religion, imho.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

i should have been clear, well i meant Beliefs on god.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Something only one person sees cant be taken as evidence for something like that. There is still 0 evidence if its only 1 person's hallucinations. Does a second person sees the same thing? can he prove his observation? Heck he could be lying, whatever was indoctrinated into people head is what they will see. A christian will see a bearded man, etc etc. and maybe a bright light.

That isn't the point -- I'm not saying anything about anyone's claim but your own.

You are saying that there is no evidence. This is an invalid claim, because it is an absolute statement ("no evidence") based on non-absolute observations (all you can base it on is what you've seen in your lifespan, which is effectively an observation of 0% of the entire universe through all time up until now.)

The rational statement is the one I made -- "I personally have seen no evidence that I believe demonstrates the existence of God" (or something similar) because it avoid the absolute with the "I personally have seen no evidence" (limiting the observation to something you can attest to) and "evidence that I believe demonstrates the existence of God" (necessary because you may well have seen evidence of God, it just didn't mean anything to you.)

Your resistance to the statement is likely due to is being a lot weaker than "There's no evidence", which is true, but would you rather have a strong, but invalid argument, or a weak, but rational one? If an atheist believes themselves to be the rational person that they claim to be, there's only one choice.
edit on 10-7-2012 by adjensen because: clarification

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by SuperFrog

@NewAgeMan - a bit low blow for someone of religion, imho.

Maybe so, but it's vitally important in this strange and mysterious universe, to keep an open mind, because one never knows what the outcome will be, and if there's an acausal connecting principal involving a self-aware Godhead, then well, how would an atheist already know that such a being doesn't exist, it doesn't make any sense how they can profess to have all knowledge to the degree that they already know there's no such thing as God.

To then come along and call believers or knowers of God braindead idiots, well, that's also a low blow which goes too far.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Isn't that we we all are doing?

a religious folk could say "i seen evidence which demonstrates god"?
a non-believe would say "i have not seen any evidence for it thus does not exist"?

we all are telling our opinion, and then collecting all the opinion and testing them? but the person who claims they seen the evidence cannot provide the evidence except say its their opinion.

When you say you have evidence and can't provide, how does that make something you say true?
all the non believe clearly have not seen the evidence and they can say look there is no evidence. its just not there, can't touch it, can;t measure it, can;t feel it or test it.

i can pray to a dog turd/or a void called the god, and what would have happened would happen anyway.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
@NewAgeMen

Oh, I see, his wrong gives you right to defend your self. Sorry, but that is just faulty logic, and something you don't usually expect to see from someone who is 'enlightened'.

Or perhaps there is easier explanation, that has to do with open mind, but let's not forget that all religions of world are not supporting open minded people. On contrary, they were oppressing any open minded folks, killing them in times of great discoveries for blasphemy. (earth is not flat, really??)

We are a bit off topic, and in my opinion OP is just trying to prove himself that he made right decision, making step back. If that is something he likes to do, his own will, but not sure why he has a need to try to prove that all atheists are like him.
edit on 10-7-2012 by SuperFrog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Isn't that we we all are doing?

a religious folk could say "i seen evidence which demonstrates god"?
a non-believe would say "i have not seen any evidence for it thus does not exist"?

See, that's the problem -- you don't understand the difference between those two statements. The first has an observation without a concrete claim, the second has an observation and a concrete claim which cannot be made.

If I was to say "I have seen evidence that proves God exists", I would be making a concrete claim that you can ask me to prove, although all I can really do is tell you about it (unless said evidence was something tangible still lying around.) Which is why I never say that. The most you're likely to get out of me is "I have seen evidence that demonstrates that God exists to me" and that's about it. I'm not an evangelist, and I don't really care if you believe or not, so I don't have some sort of compulsion to convince you.

But you cannot, honestly and conclusively, ever, and I want to reinforce that, EVER, say "God does not exist". You could live for a million billion years, travel the whole of the universe, and still not be able to rationally make that claim.

Anyone who makes an absolute statement based on non-absolute observations, and that includes Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy and Russell's teapot, regardless of how patently obvious it is to you that they don't exist, is making an irrational statement. That's why you have weasel words, like Richard Dawkins' bus campaign "There's probably no God".
edit on 10-7-2012 by adjensen because: oopsies

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   

I was once an atheist and I did have a moment where I called out to God.
He answered so Now I believe.
I have a feeling most atheist will lie and say that this has never happened.
I wouldn't expect honest answers from computer atheists.
edit on 10-7-2012 by GmoS719 because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-7-2012 by GmoS719 because: (no reason given)

If an atheist called out to god it means this person is not a true atheist.

As for me, not only do I not believe in the biblical god, I don't WANT there to be a biblical god. If a god interferes in people's lives, then what's the point of living? It's like playing a card game where it's rigged to let you win, or, rigged to let you lose. Either way, what's the point of playing if the game isn't based on your efforts, on your skill and luck?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join