It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

So you think your an Atheist? Take my test...

page: 3
8
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by GmoS719

I didn't say anything about the bible or whatever you just went on about.
I'm just saying, I believe in God. You don't have to.


Fair enough...

You believe and don't have a reason to question your belief.




posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by GmoS719
 


What part of my reply gave the impression I was talking about someone else?

MY mother abandoned ME, thus leading to the posts above.

Not sure how you got any other idea from that.



posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by NewAgeMan
 


Because an Atheist is still a human, and regardless of religious belief, or rejection of, he still displays human characteristics. Bad apples in the bunch, just like you'll find anywhere.



posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daemonicon
reply to post by GmoS719
 


What part of my reply gave the impression I was talking about someone else?

MY mother abandoned ME, thus leading to the posts above.

Not sure how you got any other idea from that.


Oh HAHA,
My bad,
I could have swore that It wasn't you who posted the mother stuff.



posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by GmoS719
 


No harm done


I like this topic already.



posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by SuperFrog

Originally posted by GmoS719

I didn't say anything about the bible or whatever you just went on about.
I'm just saying, I believe in God. You don't have to.


Fair enough...

You believe and don't have a reason to question your belief.


Of course things in life makes you question your beliefs.
Believe me, I don't have blind faith.
However, I do have strong faith.



posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by WienelPistor
reply to post by NewAgeMan
 


Because an Atheist is still a human, and regardless of religious belief, or rejection of, he still displays human characteristics. Bad apples in the bunch, just like you'll find anywhere.


So you are saying that it's human nature to believe in a God?



posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by GmoS719
 


No, that was a reply to the comment calling an Atheist presumptuous and arrogant.



posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by WienelPistor
reply to post by GmoS719
 


No, that was a reply to the comment calling an Atheist presumptuous and arrogant.


Oh, Thanks for clearing that up.
Next time, use the quote button. Or else.



posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by GmoS719
 


Yeah my bad, I haven't posted in a while.



posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by GmoS719
Of course things in life makes you question your beliefs.
Believe me, I don't have blind faith.
However, I do have strong faith.


No blind faith? Care to elaborate how?

As far as I know, everything is based on FAITH, and faith is blind as it can be.

You're not supposed to question why, or how, just to believe.

Otherwise, if you can prove it, scientifically, it would not be anymore faith, it would be science.


(just the same as alternative medicine that is proven to work would be called medicine
)



posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by SuperFrog

Originally posted by GmoS719
Of course things in life makes you question your beliefs.
Believe me, I don't have blind faith.
However, I do have strong faith.


No blind faith? Care to elaborate how?

As far as I know, everything is based on FAITH, and faith is blind as it can be.

You're not supposed to question why, or how, just to believe.

Otherwise, if you can prove it, scientifically, it would not be anymore faith, it would be science.


(just the same as alternative medicine that is proven to work would be called medicine
)


What you describe as faith is blind faith.
My faith is questioning why and how and relying on God to help me understand.
Now you might think they are one in the same, but I don't.



posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by SuperFrog


"Hitchens vs God (god loses by the way)" should be nominated for "most ironic video title ever"... I wonder how Hitch's pomposity served him when he actually had the opportunity to debate God.



posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Faith...

I would love to discuss this topic.

Unfortunately this is ATS.

You could put the entire websites "Faith" in a thimble.



posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
That crying out moment is troublesome for myself, because I'm acquainted with two main philosophies, and I cannot say which is the best.

I can navigate a post-modern and pantheistic view normally, but at times of crisis I flash between Krishna and Jesus intermittently.

I cannot even help it.

And that makes me wonder whether it's just a wiring of the brain.

From the view of some religions you have to be an atheist to all the others.
But did I ever try them or study them enough to disbelieve them, or did I just hear my culture's propaganda?

If I think of Krishna at the time of death, I'll be liberated from the ocean of birth and death.
So chanting Hare Krishna during times of crisis seems like a natural thing to do.
From a Hindu point of view, any good deity or expansion of Godhead will lead to some advancement in the next life.
But then, won't Jesus be angry and send me to hell - if the fundamentalist view of Jesus is true?
To Christians there is only one path, even between their many sects and churches.

The thing is I think this crisis religion is only comforting if you are an atheist to all beliefs but one.
If you can be Christian and be an atheist to all other faiths then you have surety.
But if you cry out to more than one Godhead, then I'm not sure - maybe then I shouldn't bother with any, but it's a reflex?

So perhaps I need to learn how to be a better atheist to all faiths but one.
But maybe it's not my path.
If I disbelieve one on a certain premise that premise would also make me disbelieve another.

So if you cry out to one faith then you are the perfect atheist to the other faiths.

Therefore, the best way to make a singular religion work after being exposed to many, is to choose one faith and deconstruct the others, and only through selective atheism can one find monotheistic religion.
So to be a good Christian (according to evangelical standards) is to learn good atheism when applied to other faiths.

If you're wrong, you'll still advance according to Krishna Consciousness (although you won't be liberated).
I suppose according to rival Christian sects and Islam you'll burn in hell for eternity.

I need a lot more atheism to find one faith.


edit on 10-7-2012 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)



posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by whyamIhere
Just a little background...

I was raised Baptist. I was taught not to question Religion. Well, I did.

For thirty years I no longer believed in God. I questioned everything.

Matter of fact, I think I was the first Atheist on my block. I thought I was cool.

I would intentionally say things to shock people I thought were of smaller minds.

I really felt superior. The Sheeple seemed so stupid. I was the only one who got it.

But something was missing. These Sheeple were so happy in their ignorant bliss.

I was miserable. How could this be? I figured it out. I felt like I was missing something.

So I set out to prove everything was just a myth. When I looked deeper, I found something.

I did not write this to judge anyone or their beliefs. My test is very simple. Just one question.

In the very worst moment in your life...Did you cry out to or pray to God?

Please keep your answers respectful...I am truly curious.

Thanks


You were never an Atheist, you were just rebelling against religion. An real atheist understands the reason for the god behind religion, he knows there is no god, even at your "very worst moment"... what you show is a weak mind... you gave up.. and produced a void where this "god" likes to jump into.

A real Atheist unless proven....will never believe in god but keeps an open mind for the possibility to exist. < TO EXIST, NOT EXISTING/EXISTED!



posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by adjensen
"Hitchens vs God (god loses by the way)" should be nominated for "most ironic video title ever"... I wonder how Hitch's pomposity served him when he actually had the opportunity to debate God.


And you for sure know that he had that opportunity?? Interesting. You know something we don't.
Message still stay, even after Hitchen.




Originally posted by GmoS719
What you describe as faith is blind faith.
My faith is questioning why and how and relying on God to help me understand.
Now you might think they are one in the same, but I don't.


So, how do you answer simple question - why some children are born incomplete?! God likes them less then us, born normally?

At the time I had no idea if I will survive, I asked my self what possible reason might be for children to die, and many have died where I was in middle of war. Why they have not been given opportunity to live, love, age...



posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream

Originally posted by whyamIhere
Just a little background...

I was raised Baptist. I was taught not to question Religion. Well, I did.

For thirty years I no longer believed in God. I questioned everything.

Matter of fact, I think I was the first Atheist on my block. I thought I was cool.

I would intentionally say things to shock people I thought were of smaller minds.

I really felt superior. The Sheeple seemed so stupid. I was the only one who got it.

But something was missing. These Sheeple were so happy in their ignorant bliss.

I was miserable. How could this be? I figured it out. I felt like I was missing something.

So I set out to prove everything was just a myth. When I looked deeper, I found something.

I did not write this to judge anyone or their beliefs. My test is very simple. Just one question.

In the very worst moment in your life...Did you cry out to or pray to God?

Please keep your answers respectful...I am truly curious.

Thanks


You were never an Atheist, you were just rebelling against religion. An real atheist understands the reason for the god behind religion, he knows there is no god, even at your "very worst moment"... what you show is a weak mind... you gave up.. and produced a void where this "god" likes to jump into.

A real Atheist unless proven....will never believe in god but keeps an open mind for the possibility to exist. < TO EXIST, NOT EXISTING/EXISTED!


That's why it's the "so you think you're an atheist?" Test.
lol
So you think you can dance?



posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by SuperFrog

Originally posted by adjensen
"Hitchens vs God (god loses by the way)" should be nominated for "most ironic video title ever"... I wonder how Hitch's pomposity served him when he actually had the opportunity to debate God.


And you for sure know that he had that opportunity?? Interesting. You know something we don't.
Message still stay, even after Hitchen.




Originally posted by GmoS719
What you describe as faith is blind faith.
My faith is questioning why and how and relying on God to help me understand.
Now you might think they are one in the same, but I don't.


So, how do you answer simple question - why some children are born incomplete?! God likes them less then us, born normally?

At the time I had no idea if I will survive, I asked my self what possible reason might be for children to die, and many have died where I was in middle of war. Why they have not been given opportunity to live, love, age...


I ask that same question sometimes. I can't answer it. It doesn't make me believe in God any less though.
I guess we will just have to wait until we meet our maker to answer those questions.



posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by GmoS719

Originally posted by WienelPistor
reply to post by GmoS719
 


Atheism is a REJECTION of belief(s) in a higher power, it is not a belief system. That's all that being an Atheist means.


Any way you spin it. You believe there is no god. You don't believe in a God.
It means the same thing. It's a belief.
And if that's all being an atheist meant then why do you guys try so hard to bash religion?
That's right, chalk one down on the beliefs column.


There is no spin to it...

1)AT DEFAULT there is NO GOD.

2)MAN invented GOD.. thus HE believes in GOD A belief.

Atheist don't have a BELIEF there is no god, we are at still at point 1)DEFAULT - NO GOD. Religious folks are at point 2.
edit on 7/10/2012 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

edit on 7/10/2012 by luciddream because: (no reason given)



new topics

top topics



 
8
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

log in

join