It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Now Do You Believe in Global Warming?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I am 100% certain that various human activities (deforestation, other landuse change, pollution, contrails, carbon emissions etc) affect that climate on local, regional and global scales in variety of ways, one of which is a slight warming over and and above any warming that may happen naturally. This does not in any concievable way mean that climate - locally, regionally and globally - cannot also be changing for other, not anthropogenic, reasons as well.

I'm also pretty sure that on a centennial timescale, we are undergoing very slight global cooling due to reduced axial tilt - this has been going on for several thousand years.

Natural variation means we cycle between warmer and cooler periods. Without human intervention, we should expect each cycle to be slightly cooler than the one before (due to reducing axial tilt) - the impact of human activities should therefore manifest itself by changing this and leading to the cycles becoming warmer. So, a naturally cool period is not a s cool as it should be, warm periods are even warmer.

I believe that almost all cientists who have been studying the subject for the past few decades would concur. Where some may disagree is on the precise extent of changes wrought by the various different human activities.

What the media and some political commentators, along with those covertly funded by religious extremists, may say is another matter altogether, but I take no notice of them and urge everyone to do likewise. Stick with the science.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by geobro

I went to the website and my mind went numb with all the... 'stuff' on that page. Even if I could find the article, I wouldn't consider it a reliable source. Sorry.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by fenceSitter

theres a little search bar left side near top beside bookstore sorry dont know how to add this maybe somebody can

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   

deny ignorance is the motto here

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
This year in Oregon, the last couple of months have been cold, rainy and ten degrees below normal. We have been freezing. It was like this last year too. Summer weather finally arrived on July 4, but the leaves are already turning, way too early. No fires or drought here.

This is not normal weather for Oregon, but that does not mean it is getting colder. Next year it could be hotter, and maybe summer will decide to show up on time. That would be nice, because I really miss growing tomatoes, it is just not warm and dry enough this year.

So, I do not think it is getting warmer, and one or two years do not make a trend. Droughts can last seven years, or more, but then they end. This hot spell will end and then everyone will be talking about how cold it is.

edit on 10-7-2012 by PacificBlue because: sp

edit on 10-7-2012 by PacificBlue because: grammar

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Paradoxically global warming can cause global cooling due to changes in currents and ice melting. But hey let's call it climate change. To those who say it is just normal weather variation I call BS. !00 year records are being broken all the time and a lot of it has plainly gone topsy turvy. Growing seasons where I live are all over the place.

I'm one of those who believes that man has only minor input in this. Piers Corbyn thinks much is solar related.
www.weatheraction.com...
www.weatheraction.com...

edit on 10-7-2012 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
anybody who believes in global warming should look out my window right now its chucking it down & thats normal for summer in scotland . do a house swop with someone in the hot part of usa hay i will even get a free grope at the airport

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Atzil321

Lol, omfg, you guys are so funny. We " humans" are not even responsible for 1000th of 1 percent of any trace gas in the atmosphere. I am sure that if the earth can manage to deal with krakatoa, " which incidently speaking, realeased more co2, carbonmonoxide, flourines...etc in one day of erupting, than man has been able to manage in our entire stay on this planet." Than I am sure that mans meddling will be ok.

I mean, I keep hearing how fragile, and easy to break our ecosystem is. Well, we wouldn't be here, flat out. Iff all the co2 in the world were a 8 lane highway, 1000 miles long, man is responsible for paving 6 inchs of it. We have next to no impact on long term livability of the rock we inhabit. Look at nature, there are hundreds if not thousands of examples around the world of cataclysm, on a scale man will never be able to achieve, yet the earth and life persist and remain.

Take the chicken little crap to a venue that has less people, with the ability to reason, where ideas are what matter not facts. Because the facts are most obvious, man is a side line player in the game of earth. We don't even contribute positive or negative, in any meaningful manner to the long term weather trends or climate of this planet.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   

It seems like this CNN article is really just highlighting places where it is hot, and I just wanted to comment that one of the examples is that it is really hot in the Southwest. They mention cooling stations being used in Las Vegas. I grew up around there and it has always been that hot in July and August. It is normal for the temperature to be over 100 degrees in the summer. It has always been very hot and dry in the Southwest, and it probably always will be.

I do not remember "cooling stations" in the Southwest before, as everyone has air conditioning. It is not like Chicago or elsewhere, where everyone does not have air conditioning and it is very humid and not usually that hot. That is where you would need cooling stations. Cooling stations in Vegas make it sound like it is abnormally hot, when it is not.

However, I do agree about the extreme weather we have been seeing, and it does seems to be continuing and there will probably be more disasters in the future. I do not remember this many people dying due to weather events before, ever. It seems like one month of weather events now would have been equal to a year of events in the past, and yes, I might be exaggerating but it does seem like never ending floods, storms. tornadoes, etc.

edit on 10-7-2012 by PacificBlue because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-7-2012 by PacificBlue because: fix txt

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Man has been here for a while, in the last 150 years we have just started making machines that can pollute.
in the last 100 years we have tons and tons of machinery that emits CO2 and other such harmful gases.

But think about it, the planet has been here for billions of years, volcanism, earthquakes, plant die offs, animal die offs, oceans changing, meteors crashing, solar winds and the sun shooting flares and CMEs at us.

Then you have mankind, who has been here for the passed 200 years pollution machine wise.

Do you really think 200 years is enough time for mankind to change the earth? The earth took billions of years to get to this place and point now. And if 200 years of man's inventions can mess up the earth, shouldn't millions of years of plants and animals and ice shelf changes of caused more?

What about our sun? I've had yet to read that our sun could be the issue. To me, it makes more sense that our sun is causing these changes than mankind could. I believe we are destructive, don't think I am not on that boat, but at the same time, we want to think we are powerful and big players in the scheme of things, but we are extremely tiny in the honest scale of it all.

I want to venture that our earth has normal cycles of these exact things. That we would of gone through this global warming even if we were all still hunter / gatherers.

Look at the sun, it's what keeps changing, and if the sun is directly connected to the earth via the high atmospheric vortexes, than why would it be so far off to say, we are actually retaining parts of the sun.
edit on 10-7-2012 by Moneyisgodlifeisrented because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
When people understand that one recurrent theme in new age religions, channeled occultism, supposed extraterrestrial communications and extreme environmentalism is 'mother Gaia' (earth/nature worship), then perhaps people might understand where 'climate change' fear stems from and it's ultimate purpose. The Guidestones tell you leave room for nature, leave room for nature.....and in order to do that, their utopia consists of just 500 million humans. When the 'elite' subscribe to the doctrines of lying spirits, their actions will follow. The question for everyone else is... will you believe it as well and support calls for forced depopulation - murder? This will be the outcome of today's god of science.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by reddwhite

Before you continue dissing people and their ability to reason, consider this from the source...

one Yale University study found that 66% of Americans said they believe in climate change, up from 57% in January 2010

...looks like you are actually in the minority.

You keep rambling on about 'facts' yet you don't provide any. This is simply your opinion which of course is allowed but clearly not convincing.

Look at nature, there are hundreds if not thousands of examples around the world of cataclysm, on a scale man will never be able to achieve, yet the earth and life persist and remain.

Here are some examples of cataclysm on a scale which man CAN achieve:

facingthefuture.org - Deforestation Facts

- Half the world’s tropical forests have been cleared or degraded. Every hour, at least 4,500 acres of forest fall to chain saws, machetes, flames, or bulldozers. Population growth, poverty, and unequal access to land are among the major causes of deforestation (Forestry Department Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations).

- The net loss of the world’s forests is estimated at 7.3 million hectares (18 million acres) per year (Forestry Department Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations).

- Worldwide, 1.6 billion people rely on forest products for all or part of their livelihoods (World Resources Institute and Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations).

You remember forests right? The large areas of plants that help replenish our oxygen supply? We are destroying them much faster than we are replenishing them.

youthxchange.net - Wetland Loss Worldwide

- The world's wetlands are shrinking: 1/2 of them have been destroyed in the past 100 years alone as a result of human population increase and development…

- the USA has already lost some 54% = 87 million ha of its original wetlands: 87% to agricultural development and 8% to urban development;

- Italy has lost about 94% of its wetlands, while Ireland has lost an equivalent amount of its peat bogs;

- 1950–1985: The Netherlands has lost 55% of wetlands in only 35 years!

You remember wetlands? Nature's filtering system? Continuing losses of wetlands and marshes is causing accumulations of chemicals (especially agricultural runoff) which in turn causes other negative effects such as algae bloom.

Speaking of algae blooms Wikipedia - Algae Blooms

- A harmful algal bloom (HAB) is an algal bloom that causes negative impacts to other organisms via production of natural toxins, mechanical damage to other organisms, or by other means. HABs are often associated with large-scale marine mortality events and have been associated with various types of shellfish poisonings.

I saw a documentary about Lake Winnipeg (10th largest freshwater lake) experience a bloom that consumed the entire lake. It is feared it is a precursor to a catastrophic lake die-off. If we start loosing lakes and have our global fishing take a hit, how long before that will start to impact us?

Here are just some of my 'facts' - where are yours? Don't be so naive to think we are not able to affect our planet, it does happen everyday and will continue to happen unless things change.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I could type a long reply, but I already did on another thread so read it there instead.

The Other Thread

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Thought Provoker

I think your first image says it best. What I see from this chart is that temperatures drop as a result of a drop in CO2 - not the other way around. Currently our CO2 levels are much higher and likely increasing which would result in increased temperatures, not the next ice age.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by starchild10
Piers Corbyn thinks much is solar related.

True. But Piers was adamant it would be the coldest May in 100 years in Britain - whereas I said (in mid April) there'd be a change in weather after mid month and it'd end up close to average.

weatherearthnews.blogspot.co.uk...

Make of that what you like.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Nothing has more of an effect on the earth's climate than the sun. Absolutely nothing. Satan himself can't affect our weather as easily as the sun can. What those charts are showing is a natural SUN cycle, the sun's "heartbeat." (Or "heatbeat" maybe.) CO2 always naturally flows with the global temperature, they're interlocked, but the CO2 is not now, and never has been before, the cause of the warming. It's only the sun's energy output. Besides; water vapor is a far, far better atmospheric insulator than CO2 could ever hope to be.

And that output is dropping steadily over time, too. You think it's hot now, you shoulda seen it 5,000,000 years ago. In fact, you can...

And that's NASA. This shows even more time:

As time goes by, the sun is tending colder (which only makes sense because it's constantly burning up hydrogen, its fuel supply). It goes up and down in fits and starts, like the flow of fuel isn't constant, but it's been constantly on the decline forever with only a few bursts of output increase, probably also commensurate with the solar fuel flow. Don't all these charts and graphs make it clear what's going on? Forget CO2, and methane, and anthropogenic global warming; those are patsies being sold to you along with "carbon credits." It's all the sun's doing, and always will be, but that sure won't stop humans from trying to capitalize on it.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Science is not about belief. And the science is clear. All of those doubting global warming are merely repeating the same old red-herrings that are merely recycled denial.
edit on 10/7/12 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Thought Provoker

Actually, the Sun's output has increased over time. Hence the famous Young Sun Paradox - how could the Earth not have been a frozen wast in the distant past when life emerged? Unless "greenhouse gases" help warm the planet.

Short term variations in solar output can affect global climate. But other things also affect global climate.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
ABSOLUTELY !!

I always have believed in it. Before it was a way to make more money off people and further causes.

Climate change has happened since the earth was young and has swung back and forth since those early days.
The earth gets cold spells which turn into ice ages then it warms up and the ice melts and it gets warmer and warmer till it's quite warm. Then it cools down again and starts over again.

Man being here with our pollution MAY have sped it up somewhat but it would have happened anyways. That's the way it works. I don't know why it is so hard to understand for some people.

You exterminate every living creature from the face of the planet and it will still go through "climate changes".

I believe these are the facts and haven't been convinced otherwise.
edit on 10-7-2012 by mwood because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I believe because of the data I've read, not because of a summer heat wave

I think the current heat wave is related to a pacific ocean PDO

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join