It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cell Phone surveillance Higher than Ever

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I realize there is another thread, however my article (source) is more indepth; in my own opinion.

I read my local newspaper, Pittsburgh Post Gazette, about everyday from my iPad. Well today after reading about Andrew McCutchen's tweeting issues I came across an article I believe deserves the attention of ATS.

"I never expected it to be this massive," said Rep. Edward Markey, a Massachusetts Democrat who requested the data from nine carriers -- including AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile and Verizon -- in response to an article in April in The New York Times on law enforcement's expanded use of cell tracking. Mr. Markey, who is the co-chairman of the Bipartisan Congressional Privacy Caucus, made the carriers' responses available to The Times.

How massive is the data collected by authorities?

WASHINGTON -- In the first public accounting of its kind, cell phone carriers reported that they responded to a startling 1.3 million demands for subscriber data last year from law enforcement agencies seeking text messages, caller locations and other information in the course of investigations.

AT&T alone now responds to 230 emergency requests a day nationwide -- triple the number it fielded in 2007, the company told Mr. Markey. Law enforcement requests of all kinds have been rising quickly among the other carriers as well, with annual increases of between 12 percent and 16 percent in the last five years. Sprint led the way last year, reporting more than 500,000 law enforcement requests for data.

The government is continually grinding us into a police state whether we like it or not. However don't be mad at your cell phone provider.
1. It's the law, better you than them.
2. They give the enforcers a hard time because of the legitimacy of the request of your data.

The cell phone carriers' reports also reveal a sometimes uneasy partnership with law enforcement agencies, with the carriers frequently rejecting demands that they considered legally questionable or unjustified. At least one carrier even referred some inappropriate requests to the FBI.

The article also says that the range in crimes vary from street crimes to "terrorism". Everyday, many times a day, we are watched. More than ever in America we are being stripped of our privacy, guns, thoughts, and speach. We have no rights anymore, just the illusion of such rights.

Source

edit on 10-7-2012 by AudioGhost because: Source link had to be added

edit on 10-7-2012 by AudioGhost because: Found another thread added first paragraph

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Already posted..Link..

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Oh haha either way deserves attention. I'm glad I'm not the only one reporting on it.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
My guns and voice are not illusions, It's our constitutional right to disobey unlawful laws

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Forgot to add...

Wire tapping is down, thanks to texting.

As cell surveillance increased, warrants for wiretapping by federal and local officials -- eavesdropping on conversations -- declined 14 percent last year to 2,732, according to a recent report from the Administrative Office of the United States Courts. Read more: www.post-gazette.com...

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by mytheroy

It is for times like these that the founders implanted us with rights to have guns and a voice.

new topics

top topics

join