It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scranton, PA cuts all employees to minimum wage!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Fox News
July 9, 2012

Pennsylvania city workers to take mayor to court over across-the-board minimum wage salaries

It looks like employees of Scranton, Pa. (including the Mayor) have had their wages cut down to $7.25 / hour !!

WoW what a kick in the teeth !!

The City apparently "did it anyway" even after a court order saying to pay full wages !!

More court actions are expected.

Employees of a Pennsylvania city, who have all seen their salaries cut to minimum wage as the mayor grapples with budget problems, are hoping a judge restores their paychecks in full.

Scranton Mayor Chris Doherty cut everyone's pay -- including his own -- on Friday, saying the state's sixth-largest city is broke because the City Council blocked his proposed tax increase. Doherty, a Democrat, warned nearly 400 police officers, firefighters and public works employees about his doomsday plan, prompting a Lackawanna County judge to order the city to pay full wages to all employees, citing that it is a violation of their contracts. Hours later, the payday envelopes went out, and, despite the judge's order, they were light.

"This needs to be resolved," Scranton firefighter and president of the local firefighters union John Judge told FoxNews.com. "My members are getting a check for $7.25 an hour. These are people that are the head of their households. They have mortgages. They have other living costs. They are now going to have to throw their bills in a hat and randomly pick what gets paid on time.”

Possible future trend ??

Are they really THAT desperate ?

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 05:50 AM
link   
There are many places in this country that cant afford the light bill. Im afraid this is a taste of whats to come if things dont change soon.

Honestly most smaller places have had to assimilate into larger counties due to budget constraints, hell, even small communities are opting to become a suburb of a large principality in order to stay afloat cause most of em had to fire the local cops.

Its getting real live out there, and the worst part is...its real low key...you don't hear much about it at all. That part in itself is more discerning.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 05:58 AM
link   
What did you expect to happen really? This is what happens when you gut the middle class by stagnating their wages and off shoring their jobs. This is what happens when you destroy companies because you can. This is what happens when you replace good paying manufacturing jobs with minimum wage jobs at Walmart. And this is the path the GOP and TP want us to go down.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 06:03 AM
link   
Oh yea, cauze the gop, tp, and dems have different goals? Their only disagreements are how to destroy the country and who should kill who and who should have sex while they do it.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 06:08 AM
link   
reply to post by phroziac

They are the ones screaming austerity. This is what austerity will bring in short order.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by KeliOnyx
What did you expect to happen really? This is what happens when you gut the middle class by stagnating their wages and off shoring their jobs. This is what happens when you destroy companies because you can. This is what happens when you replace good paying manufacturing jobs with minimum wage jobs at Walmart. And this is the path the GOP and TP want us to go down.

I think millions of people "expected" and were really hoping that a full Democrat Congress from January 2007 until January 2011 plus the Obama White House would have fixed all that

Big letdown on their part.

Many voters feel betrayed bigtime right now.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 06:15 AM
link   
and here's the already existing thread for this topic:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 06:16 AM
link   
HA HA HA! Welcome to my world Scranton!

Screw those government workers! They deserve less! I've been raising a family of 4 on about 7 grand a year on minimum wage, seasonal work with no benefits for 5 years now (seriously not even unemployment, I didn't get an Obama check either, I made too much!).

I'd like to see them make it on that, and they still get more than I do. I bet they have medical insurance. Screw them they deserve less in my opinion. All government workers should get less than minimum wage and no benefits. Walk a mile in my shoes baby, no help from family or friends either. FOAD jack-holes. They deserve less.
edit on 10-7-2012 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Added a little

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Sorry it does and will take more than a couple years to turn back Decades of bad policy. Bad policy which the GOP has reigned over much of. There is no instant gratification to be had when it comes to government. Hell it took until sometime in his second term for Bush to undo everything Clinton took 8 to get done. There are no easy fixes there are no fast fixes. And the only math you need to understand is that the more people you have making good money with time to spend it is what drives the economy. So any policy that drives wages down and encourages offshoring to profit the few is fundamentally flawed.

Now the police and fire depts. are starting to feel the pinch and devaluation of their jobs because we have passed the threshold of how many good paying jobs we can replace with low paying ones.
edit on 10-7-2012 by KeliOnyx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by ladyteeny
and here's the already existing thread for this topic:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

OOps !!

it was a no show in search.

go with the first thread by OLD HIPPY DUDE

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 06:30 AM
link   
You really have to love it when the class wars are between the poor and not so poor!

I mean really, what the F*&$ do you expect when poor people are too stupid to realize that it is not only the middle class who has suppressed wages over the last 25 years....

get a clue and fight your common enemy ...

I see many people are already divided and ready to be conquered!

if people only would ever listen to the word spoken by the likes of Alan Greedspan who said that he encouraged wage suppression to cut inflation but what old greedy forgot was that the world and inflation moved on eating away at the wages most of us get paid.....

I have to laugh because Helicopter Ben Bernanke wrote about how Japan had a lost decade when it had stagflation. He correctly pointed out that Japans economy did not grow for 10 years making it 20% behind the world economic growth... yet these financial morons forgot that this also applies to the money working class people and their wages!.

new topics

top topics

join