It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

***Shock Poll*** Report: 83% of Doctors Have Considered Quitting Over Obamacare!!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   
when I made the statement "doctors were not gonna go for this, they will quit", to another poster in another thread I was accused of believing just as Sarah Palin did in the "death panels".

Here you have the results of a nonpartisan and unbiased survey. 83% of the doctors in this country are considering another career!! Now, we will face a massive shortage.

Eighty-three percent of American physicians have considered leaving their practices over President Barack Obama’s health care reform law, according to a survey released by the Doctor Patient Medical Association.

The DPMA, a non-partisan association of doctors and patients, surveyed a random selection of 699 doctors nationwide. The survey found that the majority have thought about bailing out of their careers over the legislation, which was upheld last month by the Supreme Court. Even if doctors do not quit their jobs over the ruling, America will face a shortage of at least 90,000 doctors by 2020.

The new health care law increases demand for physicians by expanding insurance coverage. This change will exacerbate the current shortage as more Americans live past 65. By 2025 the shortage will balloon to over 130,000, Len Marquez, the director of government relations at the American Association of Medical Colleges, told The Daily Caller. “One of our primary concerns is that you’ve got an aging physician workforce and you have these new beneficiaries — these newly insured people — coming through the system,” he said. “There will be strains and there will be physician shortages.”
The DPMA found that many doctors do not believe the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act will lead to better access to medical care for the majority of Americans, co-founder of the DPMA Kathryn Serkes told The DC.

The Daily caller

I have a couple of questions for the ATS community:

Do you think doctors will be able to deliver adequate care to a patient based on time constraints, due to the overload of patients they will be expected to see?

Do you believe you will receive state of the art healthcare under Obama's govt. program?

Do you believe you will be in charge in deciding what procedures, test or surgeries you need or will that be mandated by the govt.?

Finally, do you believe you will receive the medication you may need for a particular illness?

Thanks as always for your time,
Pax

edit on 7/10/2012 by paxnatus because: typo

+6 more 
posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by paxnatus

83% of the doctors in this country you say? I'm a little bit skeptical, I know you've stated that the poll is "nonpartisan and unbiased", but your source is from a site founded by Tucker Carlson... so... I think I'll remain skeptical until looking further into it.

Unbiased?

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   
I dislike obamacare but I also dislike doctors.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   

if this is true.

this is really bad.

you know what! GO DOCTORS! if you don't like something, QUIT.

RESIST OPPRESSION!

the doctors are going to quit because they are being forced to do what they don't want.

THIS IS AMERICA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GOOD FOR THEM.

sucks for us, caus we all gunna die.... ( i hope not )

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Lighterside

I'm not buying it until "9 out of 10 doctors recommend it."

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Seriously, though, I don't know how reliable your source is--but even if 83% is a made-up figure, I still wouldn't be surprised if the real figure is pretty significant. I intend to check out your source and see if I can dig deeper....

+21 more 
posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Well, I tracked down the source of the poll to Kathryn Serkes

“The numbers of doctors who are ready to throw in the towel are stunning,” said Kathryn Serkes co-founder and Chair of DPMA and author of the survey, which concluded on May 26.
doctorsandpatients.org

And sourcewatch.org has this to say about her right off the bat...

Kathryn Serkes is the Co-Founder and Chairman of the Doctor Patient Medical Association (DPMA), a conservative group working to repeal health care reform[1] that calls itself "a nonpartisan association of doctors and patients dedicated to preserving free choice in medicine."The DPMA has ties to the Tea Party Movement.
sourcewatch.org

"nonpartisan and unbiased" my ass.
Sounds like a bunch of fear mongering to me.

ETA

I'm very independent, with conservative and liberal values alike (both sides are equally retarded imo), but it seems every time I hear a conservative claim they have a "nonpartisan and unbiased" bit of information that will play into the topics of an election year, it rarely ever is.

edit on 10-7-2012 by Lighterside because: eta

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lighterside
Well, I tracked down the source of the poll to Kathryn Serkes

“The numbers of doctors who are ready to throw in the towel are stunning,” said Kathryn Serkes co-founder and Chair of DPMA and author of the survey, which concluded on May 26.
doctorsandpatients.org

And sourcewatch.org has this to say about her right off the bat...

Kathryn Serkes is the Co-Founder and Chairman of the Doctor Patient Medical Association (DPMA), a conservative group working to repeal health care reform[1] that calls itself "a nonpartisan association of doctors and patients dedicated to preserving free choice in medicine."The DPMA has ties to the Tea Party Movement.
sourcewatch.org

Unbiased my ass.

Beat me to it. She's a lobbyist lap dog. She's also a member of ALEC, which is one of the most infamous lobby groups around. She is all-around a bought and paid-for person.

The site is very sinister itself, trying to pass itself off as authoritative but living in corporate pockets. Shameful person.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

Agreed.

I flagged this thread because I think it deserves some exposure as a learning experience to all. Smelled fishy right off the bat, once I saw Tucker's site being the source, I knew it was only a matter of time before I would find the BS.
No way that guy would let anything unbiased into his domain.

Sorry OP, I don't think we'll be seeing a doctor strike anytime soon. From what I understand, most take their oaths very seriously.

edit on 10-7-2012 by Lighterside because: content tweaking

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Shockpoll is exactly right- I'll believe it when so much as 10% of doctors actually do quit. Nobody is going to quit their well paid job they spent years prepping for rather than do more business at a more reasonable price. This is no different than those polls you see every election year saying that half of the party will defect to the other side if their primary candidate doesn't win. Idle threats.

Cry me a river if you're expected to actually help the public after going into a field like medicine, particularly for all of those who went to public schools or otherwise used public funds to get where they are.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Damn...I'm getting slow.

Others already beat me too it....Daily Caller plus a anti-healthcare reform lobbyist conducting a poll =

Let's think about this...Doctors are going to quit because they are going to get too much business and in return make too much money...yeah...that's logical.

edit on 10-7-2012 by OutKast Searcher because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-7-2012 by OutKast Searcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 01:36 AM
link   
In fact they don't even have to quit. Let me see any significant number of doctors walk out of the work place for 1 month. That's what working people do when they're pushed too far- they flex their muscle. So let's see how committed these people really are to what they must know deep down is social injustice. Go on strike for one month- people who make a heck of a lot less and are in far more precarious financial situations do it all the time- people who are really being endangered by events stand up and prove the gravity of a situation- I've seen guys lose their houses for the cause. Let's go conservatives, solidarity! But I'll believe it when I see it.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lighterside
reply to post by Cuervo

Agreed.

I flagged this thread because I think it deserves some exposure as a learning experience to all. Smelled fishy right off the bat, once I saw Tucker's site being the source, I knew it was only a matter of time before I would find the BS.
No way that guy would let anything unbiased into his domain.

Sorry OP, I don't think we'll be seeing a doctor strike anytime soon. From what I understand, most take their oaths very seriously.

edit on 10-7-2012 by Lighterside because: content tweaking

I don't know why they made it so obviously contrived. I mean, if you are going to cherry-pick poll respondents and fabricate results, you should come up with a realistic number like 60% or even maybe 70% but... 90%?! That's just begging for somebody to look up the source and reveal their intentions.

If you are gonna be a notorious lobbyist for big money, cover your tracks a bit better. I think I should get into that business.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Lighterside

Tell me something Lighterside do these principles look biased to you?

PATIENT-PHYSICIAN RELATIONSHIP
PRIVACY
MEDICAL CARE & PROGRAMS SHOULD BE VOLUNTARY
PATIENT & DOCTOR AUTONOMY
CONTRACTUAL FREEDOM
OWNERSHIP OF HEALTH CARE
PRICE EQUITY
TRANSPARENCY
MARKET COMPETITION
ACCESS TO CARE, NOT “INSURANCE”
PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY
PATIENT EMPOWERMENT
EVERY PATIENT IS DIFFERENT

doctors and patients organization

I believe these are things we should all strive for with our doctors. DPMA stands for Doctors and Patients Medical
Association not anything covertly conservative or liberal for that matter..Looks like straight common sense to me!

This is the organization responsible for conducting the survey but the doctors whom participated were chosen at random.....I guess you are one of the few that believes Obamacare would be wonderful! Care to answer the questions I asked in my OP?

Pax

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Alright, how about someone with a little common sense respond. I work in the medical field as a nurse and have for years.. Do you honestly believe doctors are going to treat patients for free. That's right no health insurance and we are gonna just give you top notch care..who is going to reimburse the doctors for their time, effort and expertise opinion? Oh wait i know, the govt. right??? Geeze, not fear mongering here just applying what i do understand about the health care field....

It does not take a rocket scientist to see this......Think people! There will be repercussions from this and it will be felt by all of us!

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 01:56 AM
link   
They won't quit over the poisonous pharmaceutical drugs they prescribed that eventually turn into advertisements on the television over class action suits? I.e. yasmin, transvaginal meshes, and etc.?

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by paxnatus

Do you honestly believe doctors are going to treat patients for free. That's right no health insurance

From your own source.

The new health care law increases demand for physicians by expanding insurance coverage.

So which is it...are they going to quit because the demand is going to increase due to more people having insurance coverage...or are they going to quit because people are going to not have health insurance???

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 02:08 AM
link   

I believe these are things we should all strive for with our doctors. DPMA stands for Doctors and Patients Medical
Association not anything covertly conservative or liberal for that matter..Looks like straight common sense to me!

This is the organization responsible for conducting the survey but the doctors whom participated were chosen at random.....I guess you are one of the few that believes Obamacare would be wonderful! Care to answer the questions I asked in my OP?

Pax

That's just it. "DPMA" is a group created by a notorious lobbyist. It is not some official medical site no matter how professional they make it look. She was the same person who also lobbied against the right to sue employers for injuries. She is owned.

I'll give you an example of this sort of subterfuge. Go to "martinlutherking.org". Looks like a pro-MLK site, all fancy and pro looking. Now look at the bottom of the page and see who's hosting it.

Twisted and greedy people do this all the time and it's simply a part of how American hegemony operates now days. Don't be a sucker.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 02:08 AM
link   

I work in the medical field as a nurse and have for years..

oooh awesome! maybe you can help me understand why it cost $5,000 to have 2 people spend 15 minutes setting a broken hand and putting it in a fiberglass cast (i can buy the materials myself for $21 which is still fairly high considering what it is)

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Well, all in all I'd say the numbers may be off but the situation is quite bleak. I live in what amounts to the medical center for the region with 2 full trauma centers/hospitals and dozens of clinics specializing in everything across the area. I also go to one of the schools running feeder programs to the higher medical degrees. This is all the talk in this area and for good reasons.

It takes, on average, 12 years of education to become a doctor. They run up debts to rather scary rates in the process. No pity asked for, mind you, but they deserve above average pay and then some for what it requires to get there. I certainly don't want the C students working on me on a crisis, so it takes a bit more to get the best doctors. They won't work for hourly wage in Obama's fast food medicine future. More importantly though, no one will have incentive to go into the 12+ year pipeline to become Doctors in the first place. The worst effects of this won't hit hardest for years to come.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 02:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

It's not like we're going to be paying these guys fry cook's wages, or even down to the median national income.

Another thing is that this will force people who are actually listened to by congress to start really pushing for efficiency.

How much are we wasting on redundant development and marketing of competing drugs, some of which are dangerous, just because the best way is already patented or out of patent protection and big pharma needs something proprietary, and how much more to other corporate jackassery that has nothing to do with patient care?

Maybe the pie needs to shrink a bit so that those who have some power in the system are given incentive to protect their share at the expense of those who aren't doing anything to earn their cut. Fact of the matter is I'd be fine with putting every single doctor who graduates on half a million dollars salary- that would only account for a bit under a third of the total revenue of the healthcare industry in the US anyway- but they're not going to get it by providing care to only a small percentage of the population and doing it inefficiently and often unsafely. They're gonna have to work smarter and harder- for starters not letting patients die because they refuse to cancel a round of golf- I've got nurses falling out of my family tree like acorns and I hear such stories regularly.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join