It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Solar Cycle 24 : Below Average # of Sun Spots. SCARY?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I will not elaborate too much on the amount of sun spots cuz im just skimming through with half ass.ed research but i will point you in some directions relating to sun spots and the effect that may occur

Below is a graph representing current solar cycle 24 and 3 previous cycles.

www.solen.info...Website containing above graph and including graphs of all 24 solar cycles.

As you can see solar cycle 24 is about to reach its maximum in 2013 and has less then half the sun spots of solar cycles 21 & 22...

according to this probably reliable website www.lunarplanner.com... In 1859 a solar cycle similar to # 24 occurred and this happened

June 21, 2011: In Sept. 1859, on the eve of a below-average1 solar cycle, the sun unleashed one of the most powerful storms in centuries. The underlying flare was so unusual, researchers still aren't sure how to categorize it. The blast peppered Earth with the most energetic protons in half-a-millennium, induced electrical currents that set telegraph offices on fire, and sparked Northern Lights over Cuba and Hawaii.

You hear that, telegraph offices were set on fire. cool

well any ways interesting no less, considering that hole in the ozone getting bigger and stuff. i wonder what effect a similar solar storm would have when you have a big hole in the roof of you house.

Fun reads every one. PEACE ! and be AWESOME even though every one sucks

Please excuse me if this thread is old news to yous

edit on 9-7-2012 by dizTheWiz because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-7-2012 by dizTheWiz because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-7-2012 by dizTheWiz because: my edits are screwed up

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
If it happened today maybe not to much would happen. Then again maybe it could result in millions of deaths indirectly. Large transformers that will be destroyed in the hundreds do not grow on trees. These things weigh say 100 T. They do not even make them in the US anymore. What if the factories that make them are hit too? The companies that do make them do not keep any of them in stock. Can you say "years without power"? Can you say "collapse of civilization"? Can you say "pass the roasted poodle"?
edit on 9-7-2012 by Numbers33four because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Numbers33four

Can you say "years without power"? Can you say "collapse of civilization"? Can you say "pass the roasted poodle"?

ohhh iv been saying it in my prayers, i love poodle

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Would it really be that bad if it WOULD happen???....A global blackout!!! It would suck big time i know but I think that people would not have a choice to snap out of it!!!! People are addicted to technology and we are getting lazy....things are getting too complicated.

I dont wish anyone harm at all, I just think it could bew beneficial for mankind to get back to our roots....literaly

Oh and I ment this for after the massive riots of course....

Teye
edit on 9-7-2012 by Teye22 because: To add

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Originally posted by Teye22

Would it really be that bad if it WOULD happen???....A global blackout!!! It would suck big time i know but I think that people would not have a choice to snap out of it!!!! People are addicted to technology and we are getting lazy....things are getting too complicated.

No. If worse come to worse, buy a generator and a lot of petrol.

I dont wish anyone harm at all, I just think it could be beneficial for mankind to get back to our roots....literally

yes and it would be interesting to see if people have the same childish egos when they realise everything they depended on is gone.

Oh and I meant this for after the massive riots of course....

yes and no. The funny thing is you would have stupid people breaking into Electronic stores stealing TV's etc
. If people are willing to riot, let them. It's just less morons you have to worry about if something like this does occur somewhere down the track.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 03:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Teye22

I'm so frigging sick of self absorbed people thinking the nationwide or worldwide loss of power would be a dandy thing. Fine, if you are young and healthy to bank on "survival of the fittest". But step outside that selfish bubble and think of good, kind, productive people who would suffer and/or die. Maybe these people are your aging parents or grandparents. Or a fragile sibling or cousin.

The elite who effed up the system would get by and live to rule another day, so no, utopia will not be ushered in. Don't be naive! It will be good, decent honest hardworking people who will be hurt. People who slaved away for the system in this poisoned planet of ours and now need things like ac filtered air to survive or dialysis or insulin or any number of things that we take for granted that let these good people stay around and be there for us.

It's great to have the foresight to be prepared for these possibilities. And greater still to have the good health and youth and energy to survive and even thrive through them. But to look forward to such things as some great reboot is selfish and naive. It will be an ugly thing that will largely favor the ugly and ruthless.

Haven't we seen enough empires rise and fall to know there is no reboot to utopia on this planet? It will just be the same old crap, different century. Even at the birth of my nation and its supposed fresh start, there was just enough elite thinking present to sow the seeds of the garbage we are reaping now.
edit on 10-7-2012 by SheeplFlavoredAgain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by SheeplFlavoredAgain

but when it happens, it happens, nothing you can do about it, and survival of the fittest is what it will be weather you want it or not. so complaining about people looking forward to it isnt gonna change a thing. Its called learn how to be self efficient. that is how we will get by. what did humans do way before all this tech crap and drugs for sickness? they used what they had around them, if they died, they died, and the rest would move on and not dwell on the death of one...

Peace
edit on 07/16/2009 by Lichter daraus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Lichter daraus

I'm not disputing that. I'm just expressing my disgust at the thought some people are looking forward to such an event as a positive reboot. I would imagine a lot of these people are young men with not a lot at stake. I can't imagine a whole lot of women and elderly of both genders are going to be enthusiastic about a return to conditions we read about our third world counterparts enduring. At best we can hope for an Amish lifestyle. But the more likely scenario is probably more along the lines of a horror movie for a long time. Even with laws to protect us and a general acknowledgement of our rights in civilized society, most women and children and elderly don't feel particularly free or safe now. How fabulous is it going to be for us in chaotic conditions?

Ah well, maybe Yellowstone will blow and take out a majority of us in one fell swoop, oblivious to strong and weak alike. Everyone is fine with the prospect of everyone else losing everything they worked so hard for all their lives as long as they perceive themselves as somehow advantaged and coming out on top in the end. That's the root of the elite mindset. And it's in rich and poor alike. Screw the other person, I'm getting mine.

But this is all off topic speculation anyway. Let's get back to the science...do we understand enough about the workings of the sun to really predict something dire off of this?

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Could it be the mysterious cloaked spheres that are somehow deflecting the CME's

almost as if they are shielding earth from directed flares

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by SheeplFlavoredAgain
reply to post by Lichter daraus

I'm not disputing that. I'm just expressing my disgust at the thought some people are looking forward to such an event as a positive reboot. I would imagine a lot of these people are young men with not a lot at stake. I can't imagine a whole lot of women and elderly of both genders are going to be enthusiastic about a return to conditions we read about our third world counterparts enduring. At best we can hope for an Amish lifestyle. But the more likely scenario is probably more along the lines of a horror movie for a long time. Even with laws to protect us and a general acknowledgement of our rights in civilized society, most women and children and elderly don't feel particularly free or safe now. How fabulous is it going to be for us in chaotic conditions?

Ah well, maybe Yellowstone will blow and take out a majority of us in one fell swoop, oblivious to strong and weak alike. Everyone is fine with the prospect of everyone else losing everything they worked so hard for all their lives as long as they perceive themselves as somehow advantaged and coming out on top in the end. That's the root of the elite mindset. And it's in rich and poor alike. Screw the other person, I'm getting mine.

But this is all off topic speculation anyway. Let's get back to the science...do we understand enough about the workings of the sun to really predict something dire off of this?

Yes i agree an amish type life style wouldnt be all that bad.

No i dont htink we know anywhere near enough about the sun or anything else in the universe for that matter.

top topics

join