It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have you ever come close to saying to hell with it and quit your job?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Yes defiently been there done that, only ever had the one job and a couple of months ago decided enough is enough after 4 years. Did have a good 2-3 years though of thinking about doing it though.

Main reason being was working too much, like 55-65+ hours a week. Which imo is far too much for a job you hate to a certain degree. The money was alright but working so much was affecting my focus in life which is music. Being too knackered after work to get on with it and when it came round to the weekend found myself having to dig deep to fight against the tiredness and exhaustion of the work week. Also at some points I had to reduce my sleep to 2-3 hours a night just so I could get the desired time on it.

I have regretted doing it a little though because very weirdly since I've now got all the time I need, my interest and motivation has dropped massively. A few other factors have affected this but it has messed me head up a little bit. I have been doing a insane amount of learning however so its not like all the extra time has gone to waste, just more like not how I would of planned it if that makes sense. I can feel my interest and motivation coming back though and its gonna be stronger then ever

Peacceee

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by DropBeatsNotBombs

love to know how u got motivation back cause i,ve lost it all...thats my problem....its become a struggle and can,t get my ass out of it.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by sparky31

love to know how u got motivation back cause i,ve lost it all...thats my problem....its become a struggle and can,t get my ass out of it.

I'm in the same boat especially after they tried to $hit can me (they had an agenda...)
edit on 9-7-2012 by pityocamptes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by sparky31

Tis a tough one, not got it completely back yet but can feel it brewing....a new goal of moving away has helped me hugely

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by DropBeatsNotBombs

Tis a tough one, not got it completely back yet but can feel it brewing....a new goal of moving away has helped me hugely

...and that is what has crossed my mind as of late - MOVING AWAY. I told my sig other if the job prospect does not pan out by years end, we are gone, as in out of the area/state. Maybe a change may help...

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by pityocamptes

Deffo mate...fresh opportunites, new people & places etc etc

For me its quite a exciting change because i'm changing from country life to city life....cannea wait !

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   

oh i,ve thot about that but i,m kinda stuck where i am at moment for family reasons.....mainly my mother and fact that her only regular visitor is me even tho i have 2 sisters,mummys boy i may be called but whos the 1 that always sticks by u? even getting up at a decent hr is a struggle now,longer i sleep then the shorter a # day.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   

I hear ya, I've had similar thoughts about leaving my mum as well....been pondering family vs my own thing. I really wanna stick about and help her out as much as poss and be the best possible son I could be, but at the same time I wanna go off and get on with grabbing life by the horns.

Thinking frequent visits is the answer

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   

No, I worked to retirement.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Sure did, and followed through with it.. got sick of the business owners BS and complete lack of morals, handed my resignation in, then an hour later my boss did the same. 2/3 of the staff quit that day (wasn't planned in advance). I quit on a Friday and that weekend was quite possibly the best weekend of my entire life, it so liberating to get rid of the bs and re-discover the enjoyment that made me get into IT in the first place

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Over the years I've quit a number of different jobs, for various different reasons but it usually boils down to companies don't treat their employees very well and taking a chance on finding a better situation is the only option. after reading one of the other posts, I have to say I agree with it money does not equal happiness doing a job you like with people you like in an environment that you like can create a better affect on your mind than seeking the highest paycheck, I'll never get rich doing what I do and if the environment is not making me happy I will leave no ill will but so what I do have you're bills paid a couple of months in advance to help with the transition from one job to the next

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   

I worked as a night porter at a very large hotel for little more than 2 years. From the beginning I was already looking a job elsewhere, but it gave a good pay to work the graveyard shift especially when you are without higher education like myself, which, I guess, is why I stuck around for as long as I did.
Finally I got fed up with it, the work burden had grown significantly during the time I had worked there, and I just needed to do something else for a change, but I realized that I would never get the motivation to find something else while I was still working there. So I quit.

Worst thing was that they offered me a promotion with a small salary increase to stay. I always felt like that was a slap in the face. I mean, I must have deserved the promotion since they offered, but that it took a resignation to trigger it just seemed so extreme to me - can't help but think that had I quit a year earlier would they have done the same?

Either way, the whole concept of jobs seems absurd to me.
edit on 06/06/12 by Mads1987 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Every flipping day.
I used to absolutely love my job. Then one of the owners hired a relative. Apparently it is ok now to sleep at your desk. I even have a picture. So, now everyone is miserable because of one person that wasn't fired when they should have been. I've been here 17 years and I don't want to throw that away but it is getting harder every day to even look at this little tool of an employee.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
My sister and brother-in-law own a carpet cleaning business. They hired a guy and took him to his first job, cleaning the carpet in a big hotel ballroom. In the middle of the job, he stopped the machine, turned to my brother, and said, "I need to make a phone call." And, he never came back. .

Now, whenever we want to run out on something, we always say, "I have to make a phone call."

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by pityocamptes
$hit, I was off for a few days trying to get some sanity back - been a while since I had a day off. Today, I almost called up and said adios... I asked my sig other if she would support my ass while I took an extended vacation. You should have seen the look on her face when she realized I was not joking... priceless...

Seriously though, working just does not have the appeal it did in years past. Different times, or maybe just burnt out? Anyone else feel like that?

And this is why America is where it is. Don't rip on me for it. Rip on yourself for it. Why you say? Because of the very fact from 1930 to 1940, people had jobs where they picked up trash off the street with a broom, shoveled dirt, paving concrete and many other labor intensive jobs for hardly any pay. More worse than it is now. Then shortly after that, World War II happened. So many people joined to serve their country and 1,076,245 were dead or wounded by the time it was over. Then shortly there after that, the Vietnam War and you hopefully know what goes on from there.

Europe right now is far worse.

My point is...anyone who complains now has no idea. Our military members get paid very little for the amount they do and some have to spend years in the desert fighting a war. SO WHAT if they signed up for it! You signed up for that job you are working. On the CONUS, it can be weeks before a day off or sometimes months. CONUS bases can be worse than deployed bases.

If you have a problem with your job...STEP UP and start coming up with some changes. I have changed numerous things at my job within my first year.

edit on 10-7-2012 by johngrissom because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Come close? I have.

We had a really crappy assistant manager who was a total prick when the manager was off premises. He especially loved to give me hell and throw his imaginary weight around... jealousy.. small penis or something.. who knows...

Anyhow, I threw him up against a wall, drew back my fist, told him I quit and he proceeded to cry like a baby. I didn't end up hitting him... who could hit a crying baby.... the shame.... but it was oh-so-tempting. I heard he got the sack not long after I left because they found thousands of dollars worth of stolen goods from the business on his premises.

IRM

edit on 10/7/12 by InfaRedMan because: swearing and all that :s

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Seriously though, working just does not have the appeal it did in years past. Different times, or maybe just burnt out? Anyone else feel like that?

I have felt like that, and have left several jobs. I agree with the poster who said it's WHO you work with, and the environment/culture, that makes the difference.

The last time, I left the full-time workforce RIGHT BEFORE the 2008 collapse. I was working for a major hotel, and the same BS that others here have described happened there. I moved up the ranks just far enough to see how management REALLY operated; it was sickening--calling it "crimes against humanity" would not be too far a stretch.

But when I pointed that out, I was told, "You don't have to agree with Corporate, you just have to do what they say." I replied, "Um, no, I don't. I don't know how you sleep at night, but I can't go there. This is wrong."

Shortly afterward, I was written up (having previously got glowing reviews and regular raises, and acknowledgment of stellar work), then discovered a file my boss left OUT ON HER DESK that was crammed with ammo in the form of emails I'd sent...she was systematically and secretly "documenting" EVERYTHING I did, and I knew it was for HR, so they could stuff it all in my file. I quit the next day, at the insistence of my husband. I've never been happier.

I've discovered that in the end...everything works itself out. Don't be a slave, paid or otherwise. Stay true to your self, and your beliefs, and don't let money force you to do anything you know is wrong.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
no , but got suspended for telliing someone what i though about there attutude towards me..
sad what u cant do anymore..

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by aaaiii

No, I worked to retirement.

Well, unfortunately that is gone in todays day and age. No pensions, crappy wages even with degrees, making saving almost impossible. 401k's controlled by money grubby fund managers willing to risk it all for small gains, etc. Count yourself lucky...

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by aaaiii

I had a similiar experiance in the military. They refused my request to retire for two and a half years.

It took a congressional inquiry to get them to finally release me.

I didn't vote for the guy last time around, but I will this time.

Out of all the Reps and Senators in my area, his staff were the only ones who seemed to have their act together.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join