It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Harry Potter Thread

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I put this here because there really is no place to discuss books, unless they've been made into a movie.

So there is one glaring error in HP that I noticed. It concerns his muggle family.

In the first place, why was he placed with them at all? They clearly hate him to no end. They don't want him.

Is there some laws in the UK that forces other family members to take care of a child if their sibling dies? Why couldn't his muggle family give him up for adoption or just abandon him to the streets? Why not give him to a family that would love him as their own?

It just seems to me that he shouldn't have been placed there at all. They all hated him and abused him to no end. Why wouldn't they rescue him from that? What was the point to having him with that awful family?

Not to mention there was no way at all they vould protect him from Voldemort if he attacked them.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Have you even read the book/watched the movies?

He's there because of his blood-ties to his muggle family through his mum, which protects him from He Who Shall Not Be Named
, until his 16th(?) birthday.

In the later sequels, he loses that protection & has to leave.

Yes I've read the Harry Potter books..go ahead & mocketh me

edit on 9-7-2012 by SmoKeyHaZe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

You are aware that this is a fantasy book...right? The Author wrote it as she wanted to. I don't think she took UK social issues into consideration when developing her imaginary characters.

Have you read the books. They are worth the time....

Des

edit on 9-7-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Obviously, you didn't read well enough. He was placed with a Muggle family because they were the last remaining trace of his true blood (Aunt Petunia) and thus, were necessary for Dumbledore's protective charm (designed to last until adulthood) to work.

It was all explained in the books, if you actually READ them.

Something else I should mention: being the Boy Who Lived, and ending up as the Chosen One, he had an almost infinite number of opportunities to let the fame and wealth go to his head. But the Dursleys taught him humility, and what it was like to be the underdog. Kinda like Hercules, you know? He was never a hero until he was first trained, and then learned the best lessons in life: hope, faith, and love.
edit on 9-7-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I think it's because Harry's parents were rich... Harry inherited the wealth. His Aunt and Uncle probably received some of this money to care for him.

I just read the above posts and did not know about the charm from Dumbledore. Makes sense.
edit on 9-7-2012 by Catalyst317 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Funny I think I am the only person in the world yet to see the movies, or read the books..

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Catalyst317

Oh...please. Don't answer the question until you know the answer. And yes, there is an answer. It pains me to see that some people read like every other page of the books, and came out with all these materialistic views.

NO, DON'T SLAUGHTER HARRY! MUST REMEMBER HIM FONDLY....

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by TechVampyre

Trust me, you're not. I'm a HUGE fan (have even written six continuation stories) and I'm more than a little pained seeing these users shoot off uneducated answers. Now I get a perspective on how these people will answer questions they have no clue about.

Really let's you in on the whole taking them for granted bit, huh?

It's especially painful considering this is the very first Harry Potter thread I've seen on here, and I'm ready to dive in for a enthralling discussion...and this is what I find. Seriously, people...

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity

Oh...please. Don't answer the question until you know the answer. And yes, there is an answer. It pains me to see that some people read like every other page of the books, and came out with all these materialistic views.

NO, DON'T SLAUGHTER HARRY! MUST REMEMBER HIM FONDLY....

I'm sorry. I didn't realize Harry Potter was such serious business... LMAO

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Every time I see "Harry Potter" I have to laugh. Reminds me of "Hairy Putter"...

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   

It was an entire decade of my childhood, from the first book to the last movie. I loved the series...it brought me years of joy. So yes, it's a little bit serious to me. It's like me peeing all over your favorite teddy bear as a child. Or maybe your first bike. Or maybe even the grave of your first pet dog. Yes, the grave of your first pet dog. Imagine me peeing all over it.

Imagine me doing that...and laughing.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Again... my apologies... Harry Potter = serious

I'll be sure to write him a letter and apologize profusely... OH that's right..... IT'S FICTION

link   

Are you still single? I bet you are.

link   
No, I was unaware of the charm.

I've read the first book and seen all of the movie except Death Hallows. I'm a prolific reader, and I've read a lot of books. I haven't really been all that impressed with them and don't understand why they're so popular. At the risk of rehashing an old argument, they aren't all that original to me. I still like the movies though.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Then no, you don't know crap about Harry Potter. You have to read the books to get the finer details. With that said (and with all due respect) this thread is no longer worth my time.

R.I.P. Harry Potter...even though you lived.

Those who loved the series as I did, will recognize the reference.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Dissing Harry Potter = Single..... LMAO

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   

I'm well aware that things are changed from books for the movies.

And what finer details? The first book wasn't really written with a lot of detail in mind.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   

My comment clearly took a flying leap straight over your head...or maybe it dove through your ear...either way, have a nice day. I'm sure your insensitivities will take you far in life.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   

As I said, a waste of my time. Similar to saying, "What? I can do a Van Gogh. It's really not that good-looking anyway."

Pure disrespect of art (literary art, in this instance). But that's all on you. Have a nice day.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity

My comment clearly took a flying leap straight over your head...or maybe it dove through your ear...either way, have a nice day. I'm sure your insensitivities will take you far in life.

WOW.. sensitive much?

Note to self... Do not insult Harry Potter.... other wise... NERD RAGE

top topics

<<   2 >>

join