It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Reliable B.O.B ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I'm wondering what your preference of bag is. The literal bag, not the content. I'm personally looking for something that can hold 30-40 lbs but is form fitting and maneuverable, with chest and stomach straps. Something I could move swiftly with in an urban environment but has all the necessities for the woods. Nothing too wide, well you get the picture. Hopping fences, scaling walls, etc. I found a nice Rothco Assault pack but upon trying it on it was much longer than anticipated, but maybe that is what I need? Thanks in advance, please leave your suggestions.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by NTellect

5.11 RUSH 72 WITH ADDED POUCHES.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by NTellect

Check out E bay and look for quality used back packs. Used packs from Dana Design are built like tanks so even broken in packs are still durable as hell. Dana Packs are no longer produced under that name. Dana Gleason has opened a new venture called Mystery Ranch. Also top notch packs that start with superior design.

Used Dana Packs are worth every penny.

www.mysteryranch.com...

Just an example of a great used pack... The bidders went wild for a used Dana
www.ebay.com...

If money is not a problem
Go Ruck for a tank of a bag that easily flies under the radar. These bags are proven time and time again in the Go Ruck Challenges that are held throughout the country.
www.goruckgear.com... utmcsr=google|utmccn=%28organic%29|utmcmd=organic|utmctr=go%20ruck&__utmv=-&__utmk=127200653

Can't forget to give a nod to Snugpak either. Great bang for the buck

The Rocket Pack is pretty popular as a well priced and durable BOB
shop.vtarmynavy.com...
edit on 9-7-2012 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-7-2012 by jibeho because: link error

edit on 9-7-2012 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   
You can find great prices here.

www.majorsurplus.com...

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   
If you have the money, there's nothing better than a Kifaru brand pack. The Zulu or Molle Express models fit your needs rather well. Kifaru packs are customized to your specifications, but they will cost a good wad of cash. Worth every cent if you ask me though; the US military uses Kifaru for a reason. They are also EXTREMELY comfortable when you get one made to your body measurements.

If you are on a budget, SnugPak brand is a great buy, made in the UK with quality materials for very reasonable prices. I use a SnugPak Rocketpak as my current pack so I can keep my Kifaru nice and new until the "event."

Stay away from the typical backpacking casual camping stuff though; most of it is not very durable and usually made in China from cheap materials, not to mention you don't want a bright blue and yellow pack or something like that. Brands like North Face, Kelty, etc. should be avoided for bug out bags.

I would also caution you on some of this military surplus gear I see. The majority of it is not actually military grade, but is just made to look like military gear and does not fit military standards of quality. If you want that level of durability, find out what the military of your choice uses and buy that exact brand. It doesn't matter how much money you save if the pack falls apart when you need it to perform; a mishap like that could indeed be the difference between life and death, and at that moment you would find yourself wishing you had spent the extra few hundred dollars, pounds or whatever.
edit on 9-7-2012 by OrchusGhule because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
cfp-90. Military rucksack. Tough as all get out and will hold the mother load of gear. I think for the money this is the better tougher option. Just make sure it is military standard/issue!

CFP90 Pack Current US Military Issue Camo Two Packs New

« ↑ »
CFP90 Pack Current US Military Issue Camo Two Packs New

CFP 90 Pack Current US Military Issue expeditionary pack with 8,000 cubic inches of space, all the features up to Mil Specs dual pack system with huge main pack and smaller patrol pack, both feature quick release tabs so you drop the pack at a moments notice. Constructed of the best nylon material in woodland camo with a mesh padding insuring comfort and creating a cooling effect. The whole system is adjustable to your size and correctly displaces the weight to your hips and shoulders, and not on your back. Large pack features a full-length removable aluminum support frame is removable and adjustable. Special attention has been give to the padded and adjustable shoulder straps and waist and hip belt. Numerous rugged straps and buckles array the pack, allowing you hang lots of gear while conforming to the proven Alice designs. Back features heavy nylon straps with holes to hang pistol belt gear. Dual large side pockets, each 18x6x3 , bottom features zippered access to compartment large 12x6x7 for sleeping bag storage, main storage over 23 deep, 14 across and 11 wide, special radio pocket with covered antenna slot. All topped with 6 extender bag liner and double drawstring closure to finalize the weatherproof design. Patrol pack is 14 tall, 15 wide, 3 deep with additional large pocket and even more straps and buckles for hanging gear, perfect for short excursions or as daypack for hikers. Best features and construction make the CFP 90 the ultimate pack to comfortably carry all your expeditionary gear.

edit on 7/9/2012 by earthart because: Forgot to add my copied info!

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I have 2 of these marlboro Backpacks that are awesome!. They can pack alot and light weight. The only problem is that its bright RED!! Im like a moving target. Trying to find a way to dye it green or a darker color without fading! Marlboro Backpack

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Thank you for all the responses! I will go through each of the links and get back to each of you. Thank you again

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   
i also second Kifaru and add Blackwawk too.stick with made in USA. lookup online reviews at amazon or elsewhere before purchase.plenty of Blackhawk's on e-bay, need to find out what they are really worth before bidding , alot of different syles made by Blackhawk.
edit on 9-7-2012 by madokie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
After going through each of the links and your suggestions I have come to the decision of the 511 Rush 72 pack. It had outstanding views and it seems perfect for what I need. Thank you to everyone who took the time to respond.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   
I bought 3, one for each of us at a junk store for about 5 bucks each, heavy, big, frame packs that will hold everything we could ever want, 2 of them are name brand, high end packs also... it was at the salvation army store, people throw all kinds of great stuff away there, one mans junk you know...

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

I have the rocketpack and its an awesome bag so far.
Mine is rubberized on the inside and its fully waterproof.

The two side rocketpacks detach and zip together to make a day pack as well and i like having that option.

I can fit everything I need and I still have alot of room left.

I was on an outing this past weekend with a buddy and he has a dana pack.

He told me that out of the people he knew,him and I were the only ones he could think of that could do everything with one bag.
Its no coincidence that you mentioned these packs.

VERY sound advice you posted.

edit on 11-7-2012 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

top topics

join