Rush Limbaugh ad boycott is working

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Evolutionsend
reply to post by Doalrite

Maybe you're the one that's programmed wrong. I did listen. Just long enough to decide that I did not want to hear anymore.

Just because you find something that lingers in obscurity does not mean it's right. In the case of Rush Limbaugh, he remains the KING! of the am dial because he's not a decent person, and not even a good radio personality.
edit on 9-7-2012 by Evolutionsend because: (no reason given)

You said you listened to his show a few times for 3 or 4 minutes, for having listened for such a brief period you sure have a strong opinion about the guy. Sounds like a case of liberal group think to me.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Listen to his show a bit more then three to four minutes. Being forced to listen to his show since I was young. I have to say he comes off as a bit of a jerk at times and informative at other times. Sometimes his shows are interesting where I would shush everyone in the car to listen. Other times I would try to shut off the radio because he made me mad with some comment.

As Doalrite said, 99 percent of the things he says are true most of the time. That guy, Rush, actually prides himself on that fact, if I remember correctly.

The boycott did seem to be working at first. I heard it was only dead air for commercial blocks when it first started. When I was listening in sometime ago I heard the whole commercial block full. Many people that I know that liked him still liked him too.

The only difference it made was that those that already hate him, hate him even more.
edit on 9-7-2012 by undergroundlight because: error

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I used to be a faithful listener. Then he was bought off by Bush 1 and betrayed Buchanan and the people. Then he lost his hearing from doing too much oxycontin. He had the nerve to rail againt pot heads while he was additced to a much, much worse drug. He is the penultimate hypocrite and I could no longer stand to hear his voice. He is a shill for the very people we hate. The 1% ultra rich monsters who have ruined this country.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   

He is simply the Howard Stern of the GOP.

half the people listen to him because they can't stand him.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Before you jump to conclusions take the dare. Listen to Rush everyday for 6 weeks. If you can do that and still hate his guts I'll pay you 500 bucks

If I can listen to Rush everyday for 6 weeks I would expect a payday a lot bigger than $500. I'm thinking a congressional medal of honor and about $48,784,409,456.32.

CJ

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Look just because you don't like what he has to say or how he says it doesn't mean he is wrong...

I turn him off quite a bit however i like to know what each side of the partys are saying.

But of course the world is flat and witches float.. and anyone that disagrees should be hung high to discourage that kind of thing

Since he is so terrible I please ask that you show me where his facts are wrong....
edit on 11-7-2012 by Doalrite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doalrite
Look just because you don't like what he has to say or how he says it doesn't mean he is wrong...

I turn him off quite a bit however i like to know what each side of the partys are saying.

But of course the world is flat and witches float.. and anyone that disagrees should be hung high to discourage that kind of thing

Since he is so terrible I please ask that you show me where his facts are wrong....
edit on 11-7-2012 by Doalrite because: (no reason given)

Ok. Here are a few of literally hundreds where his "facts" are wrong.

LIMBAUGH: On California contractor C.C. Myers completing repairs 74 days early on the earthquake-damaged Santa Monica Freeway: "There was one key element that made this happen. One key thing: The governor of California declared the [freeway] a disaster area and by so doing eliminated the need for competitive bids.... Government got the hell out of the way." (TV show, 4/13/94) "They gave this guy [Myers] the job without having to go through the rigmarole...of giving 25 percent of the job to a minority-owned business and 25 percent to a woman." (TV show, 4/15/94)

REALITY: There was competitive bidding: Myers beat four other contractors for the job. Affirmative action rules applied: At least 40 percent of the subcontracts went to minority or women-owned firms. Far from getting out of the way, dozens of state employees were on the job 24 hours a day. Furthermore, the federal government picked up the tab for the whole job (L.A. Times, 5/1/94).

LIMBAUGH: "Banks take the risks in issuing student loans and they are entitled to the profits." (Radio show, quoted in FRQ, Summer/93)

REALITY: Banks take no risks in issuing student loans, which are federally insured

LIMBAUGH: "Don't let the liberals deceive you into believing that a decade of sustained growth without inflation in America [in the '80s] resulted in a bigger gap between the haves and the have-nots. Figures compiled by the Congressional Budget Office dispel that myth." (Ought to Be, p. 70)

REALITY: CBO figures do nothing of the sort. Its numbers for after-tax incomes show that in 1980, the richest fifth of our country had eight times the income of the poorest fifth. By 1989, the ratio was more than 20 to one.

LIMBAUGH: "Oh, how they relished blaming Reagan administration policies, including the mythical reductions in HUD's budget for public housing, for creating all of the homeless! Budget cuts? There were no budget cuts! The budget figures show that actual construction of public housing increased during the Reagan years." (Ought to Be, p. 242-243)

REALITY: In 1980, 20,900 low-income public housing units were under construction; in 1988, 9,700, a decline of 54 percent ;Statistical Abstracts of the U.S).In terms of 1993 dollars, the HUD budget for the construction of new public housing was slashed from $6.3 billion in 1980 to $683 million in 1988. "We're getting out of the housing business. Period," a Reagan HUD official declared in 1985

LIMBAUGH: "The poorest people in America are better off than the mainstream families of Europe." (Radio show, quoted in FRQ, Spring/93)

REALITY: Huh? The average cash income of the poorest 20 percent of Americans is $5,226; the average cash income of four major European nations--Germany, France, United Kingdom and Italy--is $19,708.

LIMBAUGH: "Ladies and gentlemen, we now know why there is this institutional opposition to low tax rates in the liberal wing of the Democratic Party. It's because [low tax rates] are biblical in nature and in root. When you can trace the lowering of tax rates on grain from 90 percent to 20 percent giving seven fat years during the days of Pharaoh in Egypt, why then you are tracing the roots of lower taxes and rising prosperity to religion.... You can trace individual prosperity, economic growth back to the Bible, the Old Testament. Isn't it amazing?" (Radio show, 6/28/93)

REALITY: Amazingly wrong. Genesis 41 is about the wisdom of instituting taxes, not cutting them. After Pharaoh had a dream that prophesied seven fat years to be followed by seven lean years, Joseph advised him to "appoint officers over the land, and take up the fifth part of the land of Egypt in the seven plenteous years...and lay up corn under the hands of Pharaoh." In other words, a 20 percent tax on the grain harvest would put aside food for use during the famine. Pharaoh took Joseph's advice, and Egypt avoided hunger during the famine.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

continued...

LIMBAUGH: "It has not been proven that nicotine is addictive, the same with cigarettes causing emphysema [and other diseases]." (Radio show, 4/29/94)

REALITY: Nicotine's addictiveness has been reported in medical literature since the turn of the century. Surgeon General C. Everett Koop's 1988 report on nicotine addiction left no doubts on the subject; "Today the scientific base linking smoking to a number of chronic diseases is overwhelming, with a total of 50,000 studies from dozens of countries," states Encyclopedia Britannica's 1987 "Medical and Health Annual."

LIMBAUGH: "The worst of all of this is the lie that condoms really protect against AIDS. The condom failure rate can be as high as 20 percent. Would you get on a plane -- or put your children on a plane -- if one of five passengers would be killed on the flight? Well, the statistic holds for condoms, folks." (Ought to Be, p. 135

REALITY: A one in five AIDS risk for condom users? Not true, according to Dr. Joseph Kelaghan, who evaluates contraceptives for the National Institutes of Health. "There is substantive evidence that condoms prevent transmission if used consistently and properly," he said. He pointed to a nearly two-year study of couples in which one partner was HIV-positive. Among the 123 couples who used condoms regularly, there wasn't a single new infection (AP, 8/29/93).

LIMBAUGH: "If you have any doubts about the status of American health care, just compare it with that in other industrialized nations." (Told You So, p. 153)

REALITY: The United States ranks 19th in life expectancy and 20th in infant mortality among 23 industrialized nations, according to the CIA's 1993 World Fact Book. The U.S. also has the lowest health care satisfaction rate (11 percent) of the 10 largest industrialized nations (Health Affairs, vol. 9, no. 2).

LIMBAUGH: "The videotape of the Rodney King beating played absolutely no role in the conviction of two of the four officers. It was pure emotion that was responsible for the guilty verdict." (Radio show, quoted in FRQ, Summer/93)

REALITY: "Jury Foreman Says Video Was Crucial in Convictions", read an accurate Los Angeles Times headline the day after the federal court verdict (4/20/93).

LIMBAUGH: "There are more American Indians alive today than there were when Columbus arrived or at any other time in history. Does this sound like a record of genocide?" (Told You So, p. 68)

REALITY: According to Carl Shaw of the U.S. Bureau of Indian Affairs, estimates of the pre-Columbus population of what later became the United States range from 5 million to 15 million. Native populations in the late 19th century fell to 250,000, due in part to genocidal policies. Today the U.S.'s Native American population is about 2 million.

LIMBAUGH: "Anita Hill followed Clarence Thomas everywhere. Wherever he went, she wanted to be right by his side, she wanted to work with him, she wanted to continue to date him.... There were no other accusers who came forth after Anita Hill did and said, 'Yeah, Clarence Thomas, he harassed me, too.' There was none of that." (TV show, 5/4/94)

REALITY: Hill could not have continued to date Thomas, since they never dated. Two other women, Sukari Hardnett and Angela Wright, came forth in the Thomas case with similar charges.

LIMBAUGH: "Now I got something for you that's true--1972, Tufts University, Boston. This is 24 years ago--or 22 years ago. Three year study of 5000 co-eds, and they used a benchmark of a bra size of 34C. They found that the--now wait. It's true. The larger the bra-size, the smaller the IQ." (TV show, 5/13/94)

REALITY: Dr. Burton Hallowell, president of Tufts in the '60s and '70s, had "absolutely no recollection" of such a study, according to Tufts' communications office. "I surely would have remembered that!" he exclaimed. Limbaugh's staff was unable to produce any such study. A search of the Nexis database--while revealing no evidence of a Tufts study--did produce a number of women theorizing that the presence of large breasts caused a lowering of IQ in some males

LIMBAUGH: "You know the Clintons send Chelsea to the Sidwell Friends private school.... A recent eighth grade class assignment required students to write a paper on 'Why I Feel Guilty Being White". '... My source for this story is CBS News. I am not making it up." (Radio show, quoted in the Chicago Sun-Times, 1/16/94.)

REALITY: When Richard Roeper of the Chicago Sun-Times called CBS, the network denied running such a story. Ellis Turner, the director of external affairs for Sidwell Friends, told Roeper: "There is no legitimacy to the story that has been circulating.... We're anxious to let people know that this story is not true." The essay topic would be particularly difficult for the 28 percent of the school's student body that is not white.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   

There are hundreds more if you want me to continue. To simply say he doesn't lie to further his agenda is false.

Rush's "Facts"

CJ

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Resigned from ESPN for potentially racist remarks about Donovan McNabb before he was going to be fired.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by ColoradoJens

There are hundreds more if you want me to continue. To simply say he doesn't lie to further his agenda is false.

Rush's "Facts"

CJ

80s

Ok i see that there must be a website out their dedicated to pointing these things out.. which is good it keeps people on their toes and we need this... Even with Obama and all his out right lies. I see where Rush could possibly be inacurate in the things that he said however I didn't really see anything offensive.

I really can't believe that I'm defending Rush here... like I said I don't really like the guy, I think he is so full of himself that its disgusting.

However someone who has been in the buisness he is in will report things wrongly, it happens to everyone.

How about some false hoods that he has spoken about obama and the current administration.

Sorry man I was born in 81... it is 2011 now... if your gonna bash on him and keep it relavent then keep it within the last 5years

Like I said before he is correct 99 percent of the time if he wasn't it would be all that they talk about all day and night.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by ColoradoJens

Rush's "Facts"

CJ

This is directly from the link you posted;

Rush Limbaugh has gotten a lot of mileage out of his claim that volcanoes do more harm to the ozone layer than human-produced chemicals. He featured it in his best-selling book, The Way Things Ought to Be (paperback edition pp. 155-157): "Mount Pinatubo in the Philippines spewed forth more than a thousand times the amount of ozone-depleting chemicals in one eruption than all the fluorocarbons manufactured by wicked, diabolical and insensitive corporations in history.... Mankind can't possibly equal the output of even one eruption from Pinatubo, much less 4 billion years' worth of them, so how can we destroy ozone?"

Limbaugh calls concern about the ozone layer: "balderdash. Poppycock." The only people who worry about it are "environmental wackos," "dunderheaded alarmists and prophets of doom."

this was written in 94... and hasn't it come out recently that he was correct that the scientist lied and blew out of purportion what human effects on the planet was...

Limbaugh's chronic inaccuracy, and his lack of accountability, wouldn't be such a problem if Limbaugh were just a cranky entertainer, like Howard Stern. But Limbaugh is taken seriously by "serious" media--in addition to Nightline, he's been an "expert" on such chat shows as Charlie Rose and Meet the Press. The New York Times (10/15/92) and Newsweek (1/24/94) have published his writings. A U.S. News & World Report piece (8/16/93) by Steven Roberts declared, "The information Mr. Limbaugh provides is generally accurate."

Seems to me even in 94 they had a list of his inaccuracys and were publishing them. That holds him accountable and as for people that don't agree with him.. well they do let those people on the air.. I"m not sure how they did when i was 13 but these days and i'm in my 30s they do.

And really i don't even know if these things presented are facts because how can I check them..

Just because its on the internet doesn't mean its true.

So if you can give me facts related to the last few years I will be able to give you personal experience about it

THanKS

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Seriously? I only started at the top of the list regarding dates. You asked for examples and I gave you twenty.
You honestly want me to keep going?

CJ

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   

I'm just curious about his current screw ups... and there are things posted in the 94 report you posted that they critized him about and he was right.

so yes I would like you to keep going but keep it with the last few years...

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   

I'm just curious about his current screw ups... and there are things posted in the 94 report you posted that they critized him about and he was right.

so yes I would like you to keep going but keep it with the last few years...

Look, google Rush Limbaugh and lies - you'll see there is even a weekly list of his lies. I don't want to go through the hassle - and you claiming he was right about greenhouse admissions? Please cite any facts where he was proven right - and what other ones do you believe he was right on?

Just the truth and nothing but the truth: from the first in a list of many sites from the google search I have no doubt you'll run on your own:

Today on his radio show, Rush Limbaugh tried again to rewrite history about his 2009 declaration on Obama, "I hope he fails."

After a caller criticized Limbaugh for this, he responded: You have just purposely misstated something that you know to be untrue. I want the country not to be harmed. That's why I wanted Obama to fail. And you know what I meant by it. You're a smart guy. I can tell. Plus you're a union guy. So you know. When I said, "I hope he fails," I meant: I don't want the country damaged by the kind of things he believes and wants to do.

In reality, Limbaugh was explicit in declaring that he not only wanted Obama’s agenda defeated, he also wanted the country to suffer after Obama’s proposals were enacted. On February 13, 2009, Limbaugh told his listeners about the stimulus plan: "I hope it prolongs the failure. I hope it prolongs the recession. Because people are going to have to figure out here that this is not how economies recover. Government is not the central planner." Limbaugh made it clear that he meant much more than wishing for Obama's policies not to pass. Limbaugh said: "Of course I want Obama to fail. And after this stimulus bill package passes, I want it to fail."

From June 4 2012

this again?

I have a feeling based upon the fact you are now putting an emphasis on particular lies that you won't be bothered to read all of them on your own.

CJ

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
The stimulus package was destined to fail because it was a slush fund with no clear purpose.

I happened to be listening to Rush that day and yes he did say

Limbaugh told his listeners about the stimulus plan: "I hope it prolongs the failure. I hope it prolongs the recession. Because people are going to have to figure out here that this is not how economies recover. Government is not the central planner." Limbaugh made it clear that he meant much more than wishing for Obama's policies not to pass. Limbaugh said: "Of course I want Obama to fail. And after this stimulus bill package passes, I want it to fail."

I happen to agree with him here because the people need to wake up to what is going on. Obama has been a great deciever and Rush called him on it. One thing about being in politics as long as he has he has seen some #e.

I don't think it was politically correct for him to say it the way he did but hey its sticks and stones. The fact is that Obama has suceeded in most of his policies that he has wanted and they are going to tear the foundation of america away. He had control of the house and the senate and passed everything he thought was needed... when he lost the house he blames all other things he can on the republicans.

Now don't get me wrong here like you probably are.. I'm not a republican and i don't support the republican agenda, nor am i democrat. I completely think that there isn't a difference enough between the two parties behind closed doors to even call them a seperate name.

I do pay attention and I do like to learn. I have republican and democrat party values.

I'm sick of the finger pointing and the blame game from all of our politicans.. I applaud people who fairly point out both sides problems..

This is one reason that I don't care for Rush, because he does only push the right sides agenda.

I am constantly on the lookout for new reporters or talk show host that truely have an unbiased opinion who ask the hard questions.

The only one that I have found that doesn't make me sick on some personal level is the Alyona show.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Sorry to interrupt between the people who have some respect for Limbaugh and those who have none, but I'd like to ask what happened to the thread? Are we pretty much agreed that the boycott had, at most, a small temporary effect and is now meaningless?

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lanba

Originally posted by guohua
reply to post by Evolutionsend

I think you need to stop listening to NPR or what ever it is, maybe you need to update your choice of internet news outlets.

From what I have read and understand, they lost 1% of their revenue for the month of May and they are back to normal as of the month of June.
Here, I found a source for you:
articles.nydailynews.com...
Here you go, from the same source,

TextLimbaugh himself was relatively unaffected in any direct way, since he is paid through a long-term contract with his syndicator, Premiere.

Rush's pay days were not affected

OK. lets get a little more information for you sense it would appear by your post, you are out of touch.
Here you go:

Washington Post Declares Rush Limbaugh Boycott Nearly Over, Failed

Yes, the words Failed are in the Head Line! This is from March of this year.

“The dark clouds hanging over Rush Limbaugh appear to be lifting,” writes Farhi. “On Monday, the 600 or so radio stations that air Limbaugh’s program were told by his syndicator, Premiere Radio Networks, to resume running “barter” ads during his program.” Clear Channel, Premier’s parent network, had previously suspended barter ads while Limbaugh was in the news.

If only NPR had 600 or more stations!

TextThe boycott was initially successful, forcing fewer than five of Limbaugh’s national advertisers to cease funding the program. However, boycott organizers who claimed that over 100 advertisers dropped Limbaugh’s program were stretching the truth as “some of these companies weren’t regular Limbaugh sponsors in the first place.” Most of the advertisers who opted to drop their ads from Limbaugh’s program were only airing those spots in regional markets.

How many Advertisers? Was that Five and how many did your source say? Nineteen wasn't it?

At the height of the controversy, Limbaugh lost two small syndicated stations in Western Massachusetts and Hawaii. All of the major markets that carry Limbaugh’s program opted to weather the storm – now it seems the clouds are clearing.

www.mediaite.com...
OK, Massachusetts and Hawaii,,,,,,,Anyone care?

I don't really listen to Rush, my husband does. But I have heard the Liberal stations to include NPR and read MoveOn.orgs stuff and read the Huffington Post,,,, Those People Are Nuts!

They are crazy but you are the one who is proud that Rush's payday was not affected, just the company's. You are proud that a rich white guy who is a fat junkie and doesn't care about you at all still has plenty of money. NPR is crazy but you hero worship a hypocrite junkie? Poor republicans never cease to amaze!

"WAAAAA WAAAA my sources are right and yours is wrong because I say so! WAAAAAA!!!"

Why bring up his race? What does that have to do with anything? Makes your ideas look radical,

Boycott his show and let the rest work itself out without using racism to stoke the fire.
peace

ps: i boycott alot of companies but wouldn't tell others to do so. Its more of a personal thing

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   
The Rush Limbaugh show is absolute marketing and entertainment genius. His producers and directors know exactly what they are doing and who they are doing it for. They researched the demographic, attitudes and politics of his potential listeners, the types of products they buy etc. The Limbaugh show is a very clever rack to hang advertising on, scripted, researched and delivered.

Personally he is a misogynist, fatassed junky but he sure knows how to appeal to a certain class of people with his blustery, self aggrandizing, pompous persona; however He thinks his devotees are stupid and calls them dittoheads.

An apt description.
edit on 11-7-2012 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by olaru12
The Rush Limbaugh show is absolute marketing and entertainment genius. His producers and directors know exactly what they are doing and who they are doing it for. They researched the demographic, attitudes and politics of his potential listeners, the types of products they buy etc. The Limbaugh show is a very clever rack to hang advertising on, scripted, researched and delivered.

Personally he is a misogynist, fatassed junky but he sure knows how to appeal to a certain class of people with his blustery, self aggrandizing, pompous persona; however He thinks his devotees are stupid and calls them dittoheads.

An apt description.
edit on 11-7-2012 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

Doesn't his ratings blow the msms numbers out of the water? What does that say about americans in general?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join