It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your prediction didn't come true. Therefore, I reject your existence!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
No, no, no. That's not the way this game works.

Far too often on here, there are immediate responses with negativity and denial of anything that someone has predicted would be the outcome if x and y, and given that z is happening in the near future. (Apply this, if you will, to Elenin, Nibiru, 12/21/2012, or the London Olympics... then feel free to apply it to anything else that has had predictions, or prognostications applied on this fair site.)

We can't fault the dreamers for dreaming any more than we can fault slaves for being enslaved. Dreaming of the possibilities is a condition that is thrust upon many of us. That's probably why a lot of you are here. If nothing else, these people should be opening your minds to the possibilities that others may have already noticed, and may already be acting upon. Extra knowledge, or even the fleeting introduction of new flawed knowledge cannot hurt you. The critical component is your own ability to process these ideas, and incorporate them into what you already know of the universe.

Denying Ignorance is not about shooting down ideas, but rather about ensuring that everyone has the best possible info. I'd suggest you can't develop that info in a vacuum. You need the interactions and ideas of the people around you... and even though some of them might seem mad as hatters at times, it does not mean that there's nothing you can learn. Even if one topic keeps coming up, there's got to be a reason for it. If you're getting tired of arguing the same points, maybe it's because you're arguing the wrong points. Get new ones. Synthesize new ones from the crazy ideas that guy just made.

Refusal to learn is ignorance, and blindly attacking the ideas of another person does nothing to deny it. Who cares that they've been wrong before. This is not a presidential race... it's a discussion with the intent of understanding the way it all fits together. No idea will come out of this unchanged.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Why must you label the attacks as "blind?"

If I know someone is wrong, should I not say so? You're claiming to embrace "deny ignorance" yet you allege we should all be more sensitive to the crazy people who spout endless nonsense? I don't get it..

People that attempt predict the future and are wrong should stop doing it.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Predictions/Prophecies waste our time since we always have to wait and see what happens on the date that was given. This is absolutely stupid to do considering how the governments continue to pillage the rest of the world, only a matter a time before they move on to us...

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by TinkerHaus

We should give them 3 chances at least. If at first you don't succeed, try and try again. When you get all 3 wrong you're not psychic. Troll away

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   

You don't like dissent being labeled as "blind", yet you call the others crazy and say they're "spouting nonsense".

This is exactly what the OP is trying to put a spotlight on....The hypocrisy of people who are naysayers, who decide what is right or wrong, based on their own opinions, yet do not like to have labels put on them. Why is it ok for you to say that others are crazy and what they say is nonsense?

Besides, there is always a 50/50 chance that somebody is wrong. All you can do ahead of time is get on one side or the other. If you disagree, state your reasons, do not judge, label, or insult.

That is why there is a predictions forum. If you think those people are crazy, then why go on there? Unless you have a desire to somehow make yourself appear superior by putting down somebody else's post, there is no logical reason to participate in the predictions forum if you are so against the idea of it.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by CrikeyMagnet
Refusal to learn is ignorance, and blindly attacking the ideas of another person does nothing to deny it. Who cares that they've been wrong before. This is not a presidential race... it's a discussion with the intent of understanding the way it all fits together. No idea will come out of this unchanged.

Including the predictions. I don't deny someone's existence if their predictions do not come true and furthermore, I don't know anyone else who denies a person's very existence. Your title is complete and false hyperbole. I just deny their ability to predict the future. I deny their claim that somehow they are more insightful, more connected, more knowledgable, or more intelligent than the rest of us to make them some sort of prescient leader. In other words, I deny their ignorance. I thought that was what this site was about: Denying Ignorance.

Just look at the failed predictions on here. Every time a carrier heads for the gulf the "predictions" escalate. False Flag! They're gonna sink the Enterprise! Hold onto your hats. Here comes WW III! It never happens. THAT'S the predictable part. Wasn't today supposed to be the end of the Internet? Oops. Didn't happen. The year 2000 was going to be the end of the world! Oops. Didn't happen. Y2K was going to destroy all computers. Oops, didn't happen. Pick a year. Pick any year for the End Of The World!

Now we're supposed to take seriously that 12/21/2012 is going to be the end of the world. Hello? And when that doesn't happen, what do you think the predictors will say? "Oops, we meant 2013." We have had 2,500 years worth of end of the world predictions: 2500 years, and it never happened.

I happen to have a bookshelf full of "prediction" books. they range from Think Tank books written by people like Herman Kahn, who wrote, "The Year 2000" to astrological predictions like "5/5/2000; ice: the ultimate disaster" or the People's Almanac "Book of Predictions." Some of these predictions are given by religious leaders, some by "psychic seers," and some by prominent scientists. Almost none of them have come true, certainly nothing earth-shattering.

About the only guy who really has a track record is Ray Kurzweil, who has a proven track record. The others' predictions never seem to come true. So what can you learn from this? That's what you want, right? You want to learn. Well, here's a prediction:

If you read a prediction on ATS, there's a really good chance it will not come true.

Learn that and you've pretty well got ATS figured out.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   

I label the blind attacks as blind. Slight, but significant difference. Negation is a blind attack. ("No. Wrong. Fail. Go back to school. Stop talking about whatever you're talking about.") If you have a reason for negating, where's the harm in stating that reason?

Same goes for the person who started it, obviously... You can't just reiterate your position, because there's no motion there. No one learns anything from constantly restating the same thing in the same words. If it's not getting across, consider how you might not be explaining it well enough. It's a challenge of clarity!

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
SPAM removed by Admin
edit on Jul 9th 2012 by Djarums because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Meaningless
Predictions/Prophecies waste our time since we always have to wait and see what happens on the date that was given. This is absolutely stupid to do considering how the governments continue to pillage the rest of the world, only a matter a time before they move on to us...

Time is linear (though I'm sure that could be argued for a while). We have to wait for the results of everything we participate in. Does that mean we should stop doing all the other stuff we do, too? How better to prepare for the future than to analyze its possibilities?

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Parksie

We should give them 3 chances at least. If at first you don't succeed, try and try again. When you get all 3 wrong you're not psychic. Troll away

Not even that. Predict away. No one says you have to continue reading stuff from that person... but without trying out different ideas, how will we find one that sticks?

I absolutely agree that getting one right out of ten is no qualification as a psychic... but most of these have nothing to do with psychic powers... It's just people saying "Hey! I noticed this connection between two things I heard about, and if they connect in the way that it looks, maybe we can expect something to happen as a result." If not, then maybe the correlation was not right.

You may recognize that as a dumbed-down explanation of the scientific process. Hypothesize... test... refine.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Hmmmmm.... let's see if i can shed any light upon this phenomenon.

You want to say 2 + 2 = 963,342.

Some people say no, 2 + 2 = 4.

Then you say! OMFG! BLIND HATE AND ATTACKS! YOU'RE EFFIN CRAZY PEOPLE! BE TOLERANT OF ME!

Tolerance and open minded works both ways.

I find that usually when people speak of tolerance they always mean that others should be tolerant of them and they don't have to be tolerant of others.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
If you read a prediction on ATS, there's a really good chance it will not come true.

Learn that and you've pretty well got ATS figured out.

I've predicted the removal of certain threads very accurately

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by CrikeyMagnet

I know where your coming from, there are some very lets say very "outside the box" people on ATS, and their threads may not be the regular conspiracies that most are used to, but thats why I love Skunkworks.

I have seen some people immediately jump into a thread, without debate just dissent for what the OP was trying to get at. I personally enjoy the outlandish threads, and one must assume that ATS has a forum just for this for a reason.

But the automatic attacks are disheartening to say the least, can easily derail, and tend to be an argument instead of a discussion. When that happens no one wins. Those who actually have these types of threads are just as opinionated and some very well versed in their particular topics.

To be honest you can tell when someone is just trying to get a rise out of it, and those that actually put together a well thought out thread, and are just trying to convey their thoughts, and truly believe that in some way they are helping others to learn.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone
Hmmmmm.... let's see if i can shed any light upon this phenomenon.

You want to say 2 + 2 = 963,342.

Some people say no, 2 + 2 = 4.

Then you say! OMFG! BLIND HATE AND ATTACKS! YOU'RE EFFIN CRAZY PEOPLE! BE TOLERANT OF ME!

Tolerance and open minded works both ways.

I find that usually when people speak of tolerance they always mean that others should be tolerant of them and they don't have to be tolerant of others.

I'll accept that when it applies to all who request tolerance.

There's a difference that I'm sure is inherently obvious between stating a fact (2+2=4 because the number 2 is well defined, and the number 4 is well defined.) and stating an opinion or prediction ("I think the London Olympics are a trap, and here's why.").

Now, I will agree that some facts are more disputable than others (Like the official story that 9/11 was a random confluence of intersecting "first time in history" events), but opinion and prediction require more leeway. Until the outcome is observed, you cannot know the outcome. So to say with 100% certainty that "You're a [place intelligence insult here] for thinking that." shows what you know. (Naturally by "you", I don't mean you specifically...)

However, keeping an open mind... I'd be willing to entertain the possibility that 2+2 could equal 963,342... but it would have to be a pretty damned convincing argument.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by FissionSurplus

You don't like dissent being labeled as "blind", yet you call the others crazy and say they're "spouting nonsense".

This is exactly what the OP is trying to put a spotlight on....The hypocrisy of people who are naysayers, who decide what is right or wrong, based on their own opinions, yet do not like to have labels put on them. Why is it ok for you to say that others are crazy and what they say is nonsense?

Besides, there is always a 50/50 chance that somebody is wrong. All you can do ahead of time is get on one side or the other. If you disagree, state your reasons, do not judge, label, or insult.

That is why there is a predictions forum. If you think those people are crazy, then why go on there? Unless you have a desire to somehow make yourself appear superior by putting down somebody else's post, there is no logical reason to participate in the predictions forum if you are so against the idea of it.

I didn't call them all crazy, I was specifically referring to the "predictions" that are obviously crazy. Not every single person who makes predictions. Sorry for the confusion. =]

I would say there is a much greater than 50% chance that any single prediction on ATS is completely false. If you want, I can go through the "Predictions" forum and come up with some numbers, I'm great at analysis. =]

I don't go to ANY specific forum on ATS. I just watch the feed and look at topics that sound interesting, regardless of where they were posted. =]

edit on 9-7-2012 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

I'm not saying you have to take them all seriously... but perhaps it can point to a pattern. I've heard 10 times over the last 6 days that the thing under the Baltic Sea is a mushroom. No matter how much I argue it, and say "That was a comparison of its shape to something readers can picture.", it keeps coming back. Maybe there's a reason that it keeps coming back, like... say... news outlets latching on a single misquote to bring out every time the subject comes up. (Which is exactly the same as people here bringing it up again... but reaches a lot more people.) In that case, targeting a symptom of the issue is pointless. You need to find the source.

new topics

top topics

join