It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone suggest an e-commerce package?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I am more than capable of building a site (systems engineer, designer, etc.) but I do not have the time - involved in other projects. This is for a friend. I initially set up a zencart site, but the templates look like hammered dog $hit, and they are not happy with it. I see places like TemplateMonster offer templates but the ones my friend likes are for previous versions, and I do not have the time to update template code to 1.5.0. TM wants $500 to update them, screw that!!! Basically, zencart is ok, but aesthetics in this day and age are EVERYTHING. No one wants to go to a site that looks like hammered doggy doo...

Anyways, any thoughts about Magento, etc? I am looking for a ecommerce pack that has a secure core, ACTIVELY updated and SUPPORTED, with templates that are EASILY available and look professional. zencart is secure, but the templates suck balls. of course everyone over on the zc site talk about tweaking your own template, etc. but who has the time for this crap???? Any input appreciated. Thanks!

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I think I may be going with Magento. Templates are much nicer, more professional and Magento offers more functionality.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by pityocamptes

If you are looking for the complete package. Volusion.com has every bell and whistle you could want. Templates are very nice too. There are the free ones and ones you pay for. I'm building my online store with them. When I need tech support...guess what, there they are. No outsourcing. You can sign up for a 14 day free trial, no CC required.

Des

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
You have time to make this thread?

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

If you are looking for the complete package. Volusion.com has every bell and whistle you could want. Templates are very nice too. There are the free ones and ones you pay for. I'm building my online store with them. When I need tech support...guess what, there they are. No outsourcing. You can sign up for a 14 day free trial, no CC required.

Des

Hmmmm, I already have a server for one year, and a domain name. Is volusion the entire thing or can you just get the commerce software? Thanks.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Infi8nity
You have time to make this thread?

Yea, why not? Ten minutes won't kill me, designing a template and site involves a whole lot more... been there, done that...

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Since I was looking for the whole ball of wax, including tracking/stocking, shopping cart, and real time cost analysis graphs. I went with them. You should spend 10 mins check it out. It's the most trick site I've ever found. User friendly to the max. They move your domain name for you for free. I too had the name and server with godaddy...moving to Volusion was the best business decision I've ever made.

www.volusion.com...

Open a successful online store
All-in-one ecommerce solution
Sell your products across the web
35,000+ stores use Volusion

edit on 9-7-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Bumping the thread for my own purposes.

Thanks.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

Since I was looking for the whole ball of wax, including tracking/stocking, shopping cart, and real time cost analysis graphs. I went with them. You should spend 10 mins check it out. It's the most trick site I've ever found. User friendly to the max. They move your domain name for you for free. I too had the name and server with godaddy...moving to Volusion was the best business decision I've ever made.

www.volusion.com...

Open a successful online store
All-in-one ecommerce solution
Sell your products across the web
35,000+ stores use Volusion

edit on 9-7-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

Thanks. Hate to lose the damn server, I know she paid a couple hundred for the year (just bought it) - dedicated, not shared.

Spent a few minutes looking at Magento templates and they seem to be pretty bad ass, cheap and PLENTIFUL. Will probably make the migration. I guess I can let her know of your experience, and perhaps in the future make a move to volusion. Sort of on a budget and already spent most with server space, custom logos, etc.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

I have read some real horror stories about volusion... do some reading op before you commit.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by doubledutch
reply to post by Destinyone

I have read some real horror stories about volusion... do some reading op before you commit.

Could you please provide a link where I can read the same. I've committed to the least expensive monthly package. It gives me up to 100 products to list...plus, all the other goodies. It's month to month, no contract at all. That's what I liked about it to begin with....no long term commitment.

I would like to read what others have said though.

Des

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Last night I installed Magento on the server. Seems to run pretty good. Graphics are way better than Zencart, thats for sure!!!

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Glad you found a solution that works well for you...

Des

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I guess developing on Magento was the right choice =)

join