It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indoctrination of the Young and Belief System Retention

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Interesting find.

I would conclude that atheists are trying to create their own religion, although I would assume they won't call it "religion", but that does not change the fact that they are creating things to suit their beliefs or lack their of, which is still beliefs.

I don't see a problem with it, other than if they deny they are creating a beleif system. If it is only a few people in a group that forms due to shared beliefs it is called a cult. When the cult grows to millions it gains status and then is called a religion.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by adjensen

The highest Christian religion, at 68%, is the Catholic Church, meaning that over 2/3 of people raised Catholics remained Catholics later in life.

Are we looking at the same chart because Greek Orthodox appears to be 73% which is slightly higher than 68%?
The Orthodox church is often referred to by the ethnicity of the members which can be confusing. In the US they are often simply referred to as "Orthodox Christian Church", for example there are Russian Orthodox and Greek Orthodox in the US but there are plenty of "American Orthodox" as well.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by KaiserSoze

Oops, yeah, you're right about that one, sorry

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by adjensen

Originally posted by TheSubversiveOne
reply to post by adjensen

It's obvious that the problem here then is not science, but faith. Because we know it is possible for science and religion to be used for good. It is the faith and probably ignorance that drives men to do such horrific things. Would you agree?

No, I disagree with your first statement, because I believe that, in some cases, it is the dispassionate application of science that is the problem. That isn't a matter of faith, but of ethics, which are not necessarily derived from faith. On the spectrum of moral basis, which runs from Dawkins' "we're all just gene replication machines" at one end to a non-specific deity provided basis of absolute morality, eugenics would likely be evaluated as "proper" at one end and "reprehensible" at the other. Either way, it's a proper science, which is not evil in itself, but the application of it can be viewed as such, depending on one's moral view.

I can agree with this. Except that in the case of indoctrination, it is the faith of the parents, not the science, which intends to indoctrinate children into some sort of belief system. The faith, the enthusiasm and fundamentalism is what is passed on in all cases.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join