It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People raised Athiest tend to fall into religion when they grow up.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheSubversiveOne

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
reply to post by FortAnthem

You should see what happens on the battlefield when death is rapidly approaching.

How have you made this conclusion?

I can say with certainty, this happens throughout all the world, when death approaches, many call upon Father.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   

You should see what happens on the battlefield when death is rapidly approaching.

Im a military veteran. On what basis are you challenging my assertion?

On what basis are you assuming my question was a challenge? I was curious about where you derive your anecdotal evidence.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Toromos

I think a more interesting question is why do Hindus hold such a high retention rate relative to the other religions.

That's something I found interesting as well. I would have thought Islam would have a higher retention rate because they tend to kill converts (in incredibly effective deterrant IMO) but, I never hear about any such thing regarding Hinduism. Although I hardly ever hear ANYTHING about that religion here in the US.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by jhill76

I can say with certainty, this happens throughout all the world, when death approaches, many call upon Father.

I can agree. This is a result of indoctrination and fear. Not of a sudden change in faith.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Any study that attempts to term athiesm as a religion is bogus from the get-go. Athiesm isn't a religion, it is a lack of religion.

Don't think anyone has been to an Athiest Church or anyone knows an athiest god out there. Must be that Athiest is the exact opposite of religion and can't be surveyed in a religion poll.

Athiesm is non-religion and tossing out a question on some poll with that conflicting of design for the poll, makes the poll rather worthless.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   

I can agree. This is a result of indoctrination and fear. Not of a sudden change in faith.

Even so, why would they call upon Father, and not the Earth or even self. Even the most die hard, have a change of heart, when death approaches. But, again, why God?

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Even so, why would they call upon Father, and not the Earth or even self. Even the most die hard, have a change of heart, when death approaches. But, again, why God?

Because that is what they are taught. If a tribesman, who has no concept of God, is on his deathbed, I assure you he will not mention god.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   

On what basis are you assuming my question was a challenge? I was curious about where you derive your anecdotal evidence.

And likewise your prejudicial arbitrary conjecture.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by TheSubversiveOne

Because that is what they are taught. If a tribesman, who has no concept of God, is on his deathbed, I assure you he will not mention god.

But, from observing all, I have seen this to be incorrect. They may not call it God, Father, or what have you. But, they surely call upon him. The spirit inside will be known of this, even if the human side takes time to come to terms with someone greater than self.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   

And likewise your prejudicial arbitrary conjecture.

I thought we weren't resorting to "ad hom" here. Contradictions—and so early in the debate to.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem

The article claims that religion is the natural state of mankind and that it is unnatural for people to grow up not believing in a higher power.

What is "natural" is not always what is healthy or the best for you.

Most children who were raised atheist were raised by parents with an open mind about religion, not by parents who hate all religions vehemently. If that is how you think all atheists act, you're a moron. Not even going to mince words here.

That the other religions kept more of their flock says only that they use more fear and shame to keep them. Look at the top 5 or 6 religions. They're the ones that most often use shame and manipulation to keep their children on their religious path.

I'm not even an atheist and I can see this.
edit on 9-7-2012 by cetaphobic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   

In these data there are 432 weighted respondents who say they were raised as Atheists. A total of 131 of these individuals self-identify as an Atheist at the time of the survey resulting in an estimated retention rate of 30%. However, there were a total of 1,387 Atheists (weighted) identified in the survey (equivalent to 1.6% of the adult population). What these findings reflect is that in the U.S. Atheists are for the most part "made" as adults after being raised in another faith. It appears to be much more challenging to raise one's child as an Atheist and have them maintain this identity in their life.

Considering we live in a society, and indeed a world, where the societal norm and expectation is to believe in a god, I don't really find any of this surprising. Truly independent and analytical children and adults who don't easily fall into groupthink and consensus are rare. As are people who don't buckle to societal expectations and pressures. These people are usually looked upon by society as rogue, irreverent, and a host of other adjectives to try and pull them back into societal norms.

So the fact that atheists would be a minority in society is an expected outcome overrall, not just this survey. That someone raised atheist might dabble in religion when they get older is no different than the preachers kids who get into trouble all the time when they become teens.

As to higher retention rates among certain religions. Look at the countries those religions are prevalent in, and the societal and religious expectations therein. Also, look at the denomination itself. How proactive or reactive they are.

My point is, there are many contributing factors that are by no means addressed in this study. But then, the study was about numbers, not what contributes to those numbers.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Stating fact isn't ad hom. Your posts have all been arbitrary and your conjectures. A spade is a spade.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   

But, from observing all, I have seen this to be incorrect. They may not call it God, Father, or what have you. But, they surely call upon him. The spirit inside will be known of this, even if the human side takes time to come to terms with someone greater than self.

How can someone call upon something they have no concept of?

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Stating fact isn't ad hom. Your posts have all been arbitrary and your conjectures. A spade is a spade.

How it is a fact my statements are prejudicial? Or is it your own prejudice which insinuates so?

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   

As I stated earlier, the spirit will hold this information, even if the human side doesn't take to. This is mainly for those who have never made a choice, or whom are on the fence. Not for the ones who are marked.
edit on 9-7-2012 by jhill76 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   

As I stated earlier, the spirit will hold this information, even if the human side doesn't take to.

I would need more convincing than that. Until then, we can safely and tolerantly agree to disagree.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   

I would need more convincing than that. Until then, we can safely and tolerantly agree to disagree.

I understand. What I am speaking on cannot be easily validated by human standards.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   

I understand. What I am speaking on cannot be easily validated by human standards.

Maybe the question is then: since it cannot be validated, why do you accept it? I'm not trying to bait you into anything. I would genuinely like to know, since I apparently lack the confidence to take that leap of faith.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Maybe the question is then: since it cannot be validated, why do you accept it? I'm not trying to bait you into anything. I would genuinely like to know, since I apparently lack the confidence to take that leap of faith.

For my answer to be of substance to you, you would have to know who I am. I accept it because I have seen all. I can make this assumption on all based on man throughout all of time. If it were a different way, I would state as such.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join