It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People raised Athiest tend to fall into religion when they grow up.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
...and I'll bet their parents as SO dissapointed in them.

I found this interesting article that says that, of people who are raised to not believe in a God, only about 30% maintain their "religion" (or should that be un-religion) into adulthood.

Did you know that Atheists have the lowest retention rate of any “religious” group? Some interesting Data from CARA

But take a special look at that number at the bottom of the pile, yes the very bottom. Atheists “retain” only thirty percent of their “flock.” To quote the CARA blog: And if you think it is challenging to be a Catholic parent, try being an Atheist parent! Some 70% of Americans raised to believe God does not exist end up being a member of a religion as an adult (about one in five former Atheists drift off to become an open-minded agnostic or None).

N.B this number reflects only those raised as Atheists. A large number of Atheists in this Country are “made” in the sense that they were raised to believe but now are Atheists. It remains to study how many of them remain atheists and for how long.

Arc hdiocese of Washington

The article claims that religion is the natural state of mankind and that it is unnatural for people to grow up not believing in a higher power.

Why? I remember the venerable Archbishop Fulton Sheen observing many years ago that “Atheism is acquired.” In other words, no one is born an atheist, and atheism is not natural to the human person. Even the most casual observer of the human scene must accept that belief in God, is a natural and ubiquitous human trait. It therefore makes sense that Atheism, while a phase many pass through, it not usually an enduring state. We are spiritual by nature and “wired” to see beyond the merely physical, to the metaphysical, beyond the merely material to the mystical.

Here is a link to the original study.

I believe that all people possess a spiritual side that connects them to a part of this world that cannot be quantified by science. Whether this means there is a God or not, may be up to interpretation but, I believe it is unnatural for people to go about believing that only purely natural, mechanistic forces shaped the world around us while dismissing evidence for another, spititual plane.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Interesting, but how do the "Nones" differ from the Atheists?

I believe the two are one in the same and therefore the numbers are off.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by emaildogs

From what I understand from the article, the Nones are people who believe in a God but, don't hold to any particular religious denomination.

They aren't athiests or agnostic, they just don't hold to "organized religion" and prefer to figure things out for themselves, I guess.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by emaildogs
Interesting, but how do the "Nones" differ from the Atheists?

I believe the two are one in the same and therefore the numbers are off.

A "None" is either someone that do not adhere to any specific religious belief system in particular, or, someone that have no specific opinion or standpoint on whether there are some typ of "divine" force in existence and is open to both possibilities, or, simply doesn't care, while an Atheist, on the other hand, have clear standpoint and opinion on the matter.

As for people that have been rased as Atheists becoming religious, that ofcourse also happens, although I have personally heard somewhat more of the other way around; people that have been rased as Christians or after some other Religion, but later on become Atheists.
edit on 9-7-2012 by Nightchild because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

I believe that all people possess a spiritual side that connects them to a part of this world that cannot be quantified by science.

I agree with you, FortAnthem. There are studies ongoing trying to find the "God gene", and the theory is that religion is a "spandrel". From the appendix in Robert Wright's excellent book The Evolution of God

To shift back into less technical terminology: you might say that we were “designed” by natural selection to feel love and awe and joy and fear. (So long as you understand that “designed” is a metaphor; natural selection isn’t like a human designer who consciously envisions the end product and then realizes it, but is rather a blind, dumb process of trial and error.)

But to say that these emotions are a product of “design” isn’t to say that when they’re activated by religion they’re working as “designed.”

Similarly, humans were “designed” by natural selection to be able to run and were also “designed” to feel competitive spirit, but that doesn’t mean they were “designed” to participate in track meets. Religion, like track, doesn’t seem to be an “adaptation.”

Both seem to be what the paleontologist Stephen Jay Gould called a “spandrel”—a phenomenon supported by genes that had become part of the species by doing something other than supporting that phenomenon. A spandrel is an incidental by-product of the organic “design” process, whereas an adaptation is a direct product. Religion seems to be a spandrel.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem

I found this interesting article that says that, of people who are raised to not believe in a God, only about 30% maintain their "religion" (or should that be un-religion) into adulthood.

Did you know that Atheists have the lowest retention rate of any “religious” group? Some interesting Data from CARA

But take a special look at that number at the bottom of the pile, yes the very bottom. Atheists “retain” only thirty percent of their “flock.” To quote the CARA blog: And if you think it is challenging to be a Catholic parent, try being an Atheist parent! Some 70% of Americans raised to believe God does not exist end up being a member of a religion as an adult (about one in five former Atheists drift off to become an open-minded agnostic or None).

N.B this number reflects only those raised as Atheists. A large number of Atheists in this Country are “made” in the sense that they were raised to believe but now are Atheists. It remains to study how many of them remain atheists and for how long.

The article claims that religion is the natural state of mankind and that it is unnatural for people to grow up not believing in a higher power.

Why? I remember the venerable Archbishop Fulton Sheen observing many years ago that “Atheism is acquired.” In other words, no one is born an atheist, and atheism is not natural to the human person. Even the most casual observer of the human scene must accept that belief in God, is a natural and ubiquitous human trait. It therefore makes sense that Atheism, while a phase many pass through, it not usually an enduring state. We are spiritual by nature and “wired” to see beyond the merely physical, to the metaphysical, beyond the merely material to the mystical.

I believe that all people possess a spiritual side that connects them to a part of this world that cannot be quantified by science. Whether this means there is a God or not, may be up to interpretation but, I believe it is unnatural for people to go about believing that only purely natural, mechanistic forces shaped the world around us while dismissing evidence for another, spititual plane.

Since you stoop to the level of intolerance that christians blame atheists for, we can see that intolerance is prevelant in both camps, and the argument that Christianity is under attack no longer holds any ground.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Funny I was raised LDS but don't practice any religion. Don't qualify as atheist thought.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
The fact that the survey was done by a religious organisation spaeks volumes.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   

You should see what happens on the battlefield when death is rapidly approaching.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
From a statistical point of view this makes sense to me. An atheist (which I presume in this context means non-belief in a religious system) who converts to any religion automatically becomes a non-atheist. The other categories are less clear. I think there are probably lots of "conversions" to and from Catholicism and Anglicanism, for example, simply because there's not that much different between the two religions except for political and ecclesiastical differences. I'm not even sure that would be a real conversion.

I think a more interesting question is why do Hindus hold such a high retention rate relative to the other religions.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by BrianDamage

Circumstantial Ad Hominem fallacy.

Here.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Interesting, it was going to catholic school as a young child that turned me athiest.
2nd.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

You should see what happens on the battlefield when death is rapidly approaching.

How have you made this conclusion?

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Dang, you posted on thread on this study as I was composing my own

I have a little different take on it, though.

Indoctrination of the Young and Belief System Retention

(I'll reiterate one point I made there that someone already brought up here -- categories were self selected, so "none" cannot be a miscategorization of "atheist". It someone had one of each, it means that they were once an atheist, but no longer considered themselves one, regardless of what they now considered themselves.)

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Here.

Yeah, because they couldn't possibly have their own agenda.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Take a look at what the chart's tiltle tells. It is the retention rate for religion, which means all those that left took up no religion, were disenchanted with the nonsense and quit.

That would make the non-religion numbers huge, and added together, highly outweigh any religion.

Lets face reality, athiesm means non-religion, and when folks quit a religion they toss religion out and take up non-religion.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Here.

So when Pew does a scientific poll that supports your position, it's okay, but if it refutes you, it's biased? Pew Research is not a religious organization, regardless of who hired them to conduct the survey, and the underlying data is there for you to look at.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Here.

You could have your own in using the fallacy too.. just sayin. That's a two-way street. It's your baby, feed it whatever you wish. Just make no mistake about it that line of reasoning is a logic fail.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by MagnumOpus
Take a look at what the chart's tiltle tells. It is the retention rate for religion, which means all those that left took up no religion, were disenchanted with the nonsense and quit.

No, it doesn't. Read the sourced material -- if someone was a Catholic and became a Baptist, they would be considered a "non-retained" Catholic, the same as if they became an atheist.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheSubversiveOne

How have you made this conclusion?

Im a military veteran. On what basis are you challenging my assertion?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join