It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huge magnetic loop on the sun

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
I wonder what sized solar flares a loop of this size could create. I don't know weather or not a magnetic loop has ever joined two opposite hemispheres before, but this one has and its massive. I have highlighted the area of the loop with a red circle on my pic. Its a good thing its not facing the Earth right now.

A monster loop that appears magnetically attached between region 1515 in the southern hemisphere and regions located in the northern hemisphere is now visible in the latest SDO images. The size of the gas filled loop is so large that you could easily fit 10 planet Earths inside the bottom diameter.

Solarham

edit on 9-7-2012 by R6A6W6 because: (no reason given)

Mod Edit: External Source Tags Instructions – Please Review This Link.
edit on 9/7/2012 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Awesome stuff! I don't really have all that much to add... other than a new article from sciencedaily.com

'MRI' of the Sun's Interior Motions Challenges Existing Explanations for Sunspots
www.sciencedaily.com...

ScienceDaily (July 9, 2012) — A team of scientists has created an “MRI” of the Sun’s interior plasma motions, shedding light on how it transfers heat from its deep interior to its surface. The result, which appears in the journal the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, upends our understanding of how heat is transported outwards by the Sun and challenges existing explanations of the formation of sunspots and magnetic field generation.

Basically... we have no idea how the sun works lol.

“Our current theoretical understanding of magnetic field generation in the Sun relies on these motions being of a certain magnitude,” explained Shravan Hanasoge, an associate research scholar in geosciences at Princeton University and a visiting scholar at NYU’s Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences. “These convective motions are currently believed to prop up large-scale circulations in the outer third of the Sun that generate magnetic fields.”

“However, our results suggest that convective motions in the Sun are nearly 100 times smaller than these current theoretical expectations,” continued Hanasoge, also a postdoctoral fellow at the Max Plank Institute in Katlenburg-Lindau, Germany. “If these motions are indeed that slow in the Sun, then the most widely accepted theory concerning the generation of solar magnetic field is broken, leaving us with no compelling theory to explain its generation of magnetic fields and the need to overhaul our understanding of the physics of the Sun’s interior.”

It's a good thing that this particular sunspot is rotating away from us, and if I'm not mistaken is on the other side of the sun already... although, there are still some rather large active regions about to be facing us.

As one big sunspot (AR1515) turns away from Earth, another one is turning toward our planet. AR1520, now emerging over the sun's southeastern limb, stretches more than 127,000 km (10 Earth diameters) from end to end:

spaceweather.com... great website

AR1520 has a 'beta-gamma' magnetic field that harbors energy for M-class solar flares. So far, however, the sunspot's magnetic canopy is crackling with lesser C-flares. The calm before the storm? NOAA forecasters estimate an 80% chance of M-flares during the next 24 hours.

Mod Edit: External Source Tags Instructions – Please Review This Link.
edit on 9/7/2012 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by FractalChaos13242017

Hi Fractal,
Yes AR1520 is a pretty big mofo, I expect we will see some fireworks from it before too long. Here's a close up cropped picture of it.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Well that looks like a C section again. Two things come to mind, the portals through which cosmos travels system to system, and also the possibility that the sun become a mom again. All planets, or nearly all, there are some attractions and rogues and collisions, come from the star. Ever seen the pics of water shooting out of a star.

The star is parent of the solar system.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
wow. that's a really awesome image of the sun!! really incredible.

top topics

join