It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Scientist - Ouija board helps psychologists probe the subconscious

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Poppycock. Ignorant. Unscientific. Myopic. Unbelievable. Dangerous. Downright stupid!
Did I make my position on this clear? Read up and see if you agree with me.

New Scientist - Ouija board helps psychologists probe the subconscious

Believers think the answer comes through from the spirit world. In fact, all the evidence points to the real cause being the ideomotor effect, small muscle movements we generate unconsciously. That's why the Ouija board has attracted the attention of psychologists at the University of British Columbia in Canada. Growing evidence suggests the unconscious plays a role in cognitive functions we usually consider the preserve of the conscious mind.

Take driving your car along a familiar route while planning your day. On arrival, you realise you were not in conscious control of the car, it was your "inner zombie", said Hélène Gauchou at the Association for the Scientific Study of Consciousness conference in Brighton, UK, this week. "How can we communicate with that unconscious intelligence?"

Gauchou's approach is to turn to the Ouija board. To keep things simple her team has just one person with their finger on the planchette at a time. But the ideomotor effect is maximised if you believe you are not responsible for any movements - that's why Ouija board sessions are most successful when used by a group. So the subject is told they will be using the board with a partner. The subject is blindfolded and what they don't know is that their so-called partner removes their hands from the planchette when the experiment begins.

- Being in the science field they totally ignore the reality metaphysical. They are myopic.

- They admit that it only works in a group, so even if this was a way to measure the unconscious intelligence of a person, how on earth could they use this to measure the unconscious intelligence of a single person if the unconscious intelligence of the group has clouded the results? How can you sift through and find the unconscious intelligence of just one person in the mish-mash group unconsciousness?

Side note - OF COURSE the unconscious plays a part in cognitive functions. That's common sense. But this is more like children playing with matches. They have no clue what they are playing with but what they think is interesting is really just dangerous.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Your eye is still closed.

When it opens you'll go mad for a time, but you may recover.

Until then, believe.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by aaaiii
Your eye is still closed. When it opens you'll go mad for a time, but you may recover.
Until then, believe.

I have no idea what you are talking about. You'll have to expand upon it.
Believe what? That psychologists should use quija boards?
That's insane. They are metaphysically DANGEROUS .. not to mention the
fact that their procedure is totally unscientific. (for reasons given)

So, according to you, what am I supposed to 'believe in'??

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   
I've always wondered what the results would be if you used a group of blind people.

It would seem to be the easiest way to debunk a quija board imo.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Believe that they work.

You are right. Metaphysically, they are dangerous.

You don't understand what I've said because your eye isn't open.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Believe that they work.

I KNOW they work. That's why I said that they are dangerous metaphysically.

You don't understand what I've said because your eye isn't open.

Again .. I have no idea what you mean by 'my eye isn't open'.
I don't understand what you said because I already said that they work.
I already said they are dangerous metaphysically.
So when you say I need to 'believe' ... what are you talking about???

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   

You used up all the adjectives I was going to write.

Totally agree.

Morons have got no idea what they're toying with. I'd like to read their post-experiment reports and how they would apply scientific reasoning after stumbling upon super-natural phenomena. That would be hilarious.

"At approximately 10.36 pm Test Agent 6 appeared to have problems with his eye-balls rolling back into his head"

Peace Out - Ned

PS - (off topic a bit) just thought of that Steven Wright joke - "I went to this restaurant last night that was set up like a big buffet in the shape of an Ouija board. You'd think about what kind of food you want, and the
table would move across the floor to it."

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   

You're under the believe that Ouija boards open a portal for demons to come through. You wouldn't be the only one to think this. But this study is a way of showing that the planchette moving isn't down to demons, but to our subconscious. I don't know what else to say. This thread is confusing...

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 07:13 AM
link   

You start a thread and then you are hostile to its posters.

Why should I listen to a word you say?

There is more to the "world" than what you see right now.

In time you will see the truth.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Dangerous?!

Lmao it's a wooden board and a plastic planchette. What are you so scared of? Heresay?

Welcome to the 21st century. Leave your medieval fears, superstitions and dogmas at the door.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Snoopy1978

Deny ignorance. Have faith.

The two go hand in hand.

I was once like you. Then I got sick and my eye opened.

To see is at once wonderful and a curse.

You are a puppet marching to the beat of a deranged drummer. Cut the strings.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   
calling people who play with it moron? lol

its a fake game, believing that it has something to do with demons/multi-dimension/underworld is moronic!

The article pretty much sums up the reason, if a single person is aware they are the one moving it, it wont move, .... its kinda like someone farting in the elevator lol...

edit on 7/9/2012 by luciddream because: *fixed spellings*

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Reply to post by aaaiii

Who talks like that? Lol. What is this open your eye, see the truth belief? Is it an attempt to be superior to the average person? Your above us oh cryptic one...

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Ouija boards are very real! the spirit or whatever doesn't move it, they use you as a median to move it for them. Ive had them tell me things that turned out to be very true such as the Iraq war, and my cousin turning out to be pregnant when she was told by doctors she couldn't have children

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by strafgod

Laugh.

I'm not above you. I just see more than you do.

I talk like this all the time. Make fun of me. I don't care.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Yes, this study is BS in the sense that its paradigm exclude the possibility of paranormality.

Paranormality has been proven over and over again by studies more serious than this one (appears to be), get over it and move on.

When using the computer, if the subjects said they didn't know the answer to a question, they got it right about half the time, as would be expected by chance. But when using the Ouija, they got those questions right 65 per cent of the time - suggesting they had a subconscious inkling of the right answer and the Ouija allowed that hunch to be expressed

They pretty much invalidated their own study with this conclusion.

Their test questions should have been of such a nature that 'subconscious inklings' could have been excluded alltogether.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Deny ignorance. Have faith.

The two go hand in hand.

I was once like you. Then I got sick and my eye opened.

To see is at once wonderful and a curse.

You are a puppet marching to the beat of a deranged drummer. Cut the strings.

Do you not see what lies beyond the veil?

Puppet and drummer are entangled in the string you wish cut.

Faith and reason are bad counsel.

The enlightened see with the eye of truth.

Truth shines discretly iridiscent yet blinds the arrogant and the meek.

Look, we both can play this cryptic speak game. Words are for communicating directly or, in your case, twisted around to confuse others into thinking you posses some occult knowledge.

All gibberish that means nothing.

Is it an agenda or pure ignorance?

As Triumph, the insult comic dog, would say, REVEAL YOURSELF!

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   

From the article real cause being the ideomotor effect, small muscle movements we generate unconsciously.

Have a read up on ideomotor effects, they seem to be true and would 100 per cent explain the phenomena experienced by people 'using' the ouija board - the main problem is that if you believe in evil spirits that belief becomes like a self-prophecy. In this way subtle suggestion and social expectation play a big part in manipulating people's behaviour.

The true title of the article should be about ideomotor signalling but New Scientist had to 'sex up' the title and now it is mis-leading but the actual story is correct - but for a experiment a person could use just about anything - a ouija board would be bottom of my list of props because of its negative connotations.

Good post
edit on 9-7-2012 by yyyyyyyyyy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 07:50 AM
link   

I see what others don't. That's the truth.

When others see what I see they'll know what I know.

I can't make it any clearer than that.

It must be experienced to be understood.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Reply to post by aaaiii

To see and know what others dont, yet not able to describe it ("the truth"), must be hell.

imagine if einstein had this problem

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join