It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Murder of Crows - the secret life of crows

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 04:54 AM
link   
This will be my first post, i did a check but couldn't find it on ATS

i found this amazing docu that i like to share with you.

It will lead to fresh insights and captivating never-before-seen footage of the secret life of crows. We see them everyday and yet as we'll come to realize, until now we've never really seen them at all.

A Murder of Crows is a visually stunning 50 min. documentary that offers a rare and intimate glimpse into the inner life of one of the most intelligent, playful and mischievous species on the planet.

(.cbc.documentaries)
link to CBC

I hope you like it

Mod Edit: External Source Tags Instructions – Please Review This Link.
edit on 9/7/2012 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Cool post, especially for a first! I've always loved crows, amazingly intelligent animals. Man I'm just falling asleep right now too. I'm still impressed they use tools. Does the video cover them dropping rocks in water to raise the level so they can get floating worms? Eureka!

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Excellent thanks for this,will be back to watch this tonight.Crows around here are generally looked at as pests but i love watching them,they are extremely clever.

Regards to all

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Memenquay

I will watch this tonight-I like crows,and often watch how they behave around my house.
Something I have noticed about them is that they operate in a manner similar to military units when foraging-They always have a "scout" who checks over the area first,then sits high in a tree watching for any threats while the rest collect food or nest materials.

They are also said to be able to recognize individual people from up high.

Far from stupid are the crows.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

That is not in this vid, but the part where they use tools, to get tools, to get food is as smart as the stone drop, you can see that at 14.57
hehe, it's funny to watch

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
While most people don't like crows...I do. I have always thought they were one of the most beautiful birds there is. Thanks for the video!

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Been waiting a long time for this one.

Crows are some of the most beautiful and intelligent birds IMO.

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Living in a city makes you feel so far away from nature.
Didn't know that crows are so intelligent, and i 'm glad to learn somethings i didn't know before,
about this amazing creature.
Glad you like

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
very interesting video. I had some crows in my tree in the yard and i would watch them every day building the nest and then raising the baby. Strange thing is there were three birds raising this one baby. I dont know if it was one male two females or two males one female, thought it was kind of weird to see birds in a love triangle though.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
i've had the opportunity to grow up with a bunch of different animals in my life. ranging from wolves to peacocks, ferrets and skunks.

several of the animals we were lucky enough to get while they were still very young and impressionable, and would take to us like family. its truly amazing how people and animals can live in harmony and communicate to each other once this relationship has been bonded. its beyond comprehension sometimes.

animals are people too, sort of.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I have often wondered why crows and ravens are so much smarter than other birds. They have the similar brain sizes to other birds. Is their brain structure different?

I found this TED vid and the guys says crows brain structure is actually like chimp brains. So why did nature assign this structure to them? Is it because they have a broader or indefinite territory, and so they have encountered more varied stimulus, thus creating a more complex brain? He says they are culturally adaptive, which enables them to thrive in city settings. They have the ability to teach each other too. It just seems strange that they are so much smarter than other birds.
Maybe there really is spirit in some animals.

I will watch the the documentary this evening and maybe get some answers. Nice find and first thread, thanks.

Peace
edit on 9-7-2012 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   
That was a nice doc.

Imagine walking in the park and seeing that guy with a creepy mask on.

Ugh the department of defense is funding them because they want to use them to spot out bad guys? Can't anything be funded just for research....not to further the military industrial complex.

reply to post by speculativeoptimist

The OP's doc said their brain size to body size were the same as a primate.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Do they explain why you almost never see a dead crow?

we have seas of crows where I live and in 10 years I have only seen maybe 2 dead crows.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   
If birds were humans, crows would be kings and queens. They even know how to count.

They can learn and mimic up to 10,000 words, more than any parrot.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I saved a crow from impeding peril once.
The post I wrote about that crow is found: HERE.

I found it struggling and stuck with tar all over its talons.
After a while, I cleaned its talons so it may survive again.
While holding it, there were others trying to attack me.
They did not know I was trying to save their friend.
But I did eventually see it fly again that day.
And it actually "found" me days later, and watched me almost in gratitude.

I am forever grateful for that encounter as I hope it would be too.

Crows are magnificent animals and deserve much more attention.
They are my favorite wild animal bar none.

Great thread!

edit on 9-7-2012 by havok because: Added a linkity link....

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   
I have a very stupid question.

Halfway through the program, it shows how the Japanese have to send workers out to clean the crow's nests out of the electrical lines.

As they are leaving to go out into the field, they had to stop at an intersection, it was "stop" in English. Why would it be English?

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Driving from Colorado to southern California (and back) I've encountered 'gangs' of crows at a rest stop and gas station in Mojave. People feed them, so they pester you for food. It's hilarious! As I pulled into the rest stop in the middle of the night, crows flew down and perched atop the mirrors on my truck and peered in the windows. I had a bag of popcorn, and when I came out of the car with it, that, as they say, was that! They all but attacked me, cawing loudly and hopping around me. If you run, the crows do a combination hop & fly maneuver that is a treat to watch.

As I pulled away, they flew after me till I got a short distance out on the frontage road. They seemed to be both thanking me and requesting I stay and feed them more. I remembered I had some fiber bars, so I turned around and went back to the parking lot. They were like excited children that couldn't contain themselves. Blueberry fiber bars drive them into an absolute frenzy. I thought their heads were going to explode.

top topics

join