It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dust Today, Gone Tomorrow: Astronomers Discover Houdini-Like Vanishing Act in Space

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Seeing our knowledge of the Universe, Magnetics, Gravity etc is still in its infancy, why isnt it possible that some "Reaction" had occurred rather quickly and the Star absorbed the material? They havent mentioned whether the Star is more intense or whatever.
What if the material (dust) itself had collapsed into rocky Planets or Satellites around the Star and are no longer detectable to our Sensors.....

Who on Earth wrote the book about how long these events should take in the Universe....Stephen Hawking
????

Its only man guessing that these events take a long time, we really have little idea, other than the age of rocks on Earth, Moon, meteorites etc.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by FractalChaos13242017

Are there humans around? Or any other similar ego-freaks profit-maniac specie? It would seem quite reasonable then, perhaps they found a way to turn dust into profit.

edit on 9-7-2012 by Shuye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by decepticonLaura

a rouge celestial body?!
Kryties, do you know more about this than you are letting on?

Probably, it's even scarier to think that Kryties doesn't even know that Kyrties knows what Kryties know until I know it!

en.wikipedia.org...

A rogue planet — also known as an interstellar planet, nomad planet or orphan planet — is a planetary-mass object which has either been ejected from its system or was never gravitationally bound to any star, brown dwarf or other such object, and that therefore orbits the galaxy directly.[1][2][3] Astronomers believe that either way, the definition of planet should depend on current observable state and not origin.

It's probably a stretch... but is it not possible for a giant rouge body, possibly even a brown dwarf to come passing by at a high speed and remove this dust cloud?

Or did some aliens just stop by with some helixed tractor beams and collect all the matter for resources. Maybe even using the sun as a type of filter to dismantle the material from a molecular state, reducing its density, it's complexity, and now making it easier to manipulate the collected particles for whatever uses. It's not like primordial gases and hydrogen plasma are found readily available everywhere. Although, they do make up a majority of the universe. Maybe, just maybe...
edit on 9-7-2012 by FractalChaos13242017 because: clarification

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by decepticonLaura

Kryties, do you know more about this than you are letting on?

Not unless you include that 3 million years I spent floating around on the Red Dwarf....who knows what wonders I saw on my travels!

edit on 9/7/2012 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 05:46 AM
link   
This really had me thinking, and the the bottom of my thoughts, i remember, once on Coast to Coast AM last year.

There was a geologist who claimed that there were bobbles of a gas in our crust, that could only be there if the planet cooled over a VERY SHORT period, im talking it went from a liquid lava lump, to solid in a matter of minutes.

So maybe, planet formation happens in a short sharp time span, and maybe this is what happened to the dust, it all rapidly collected to liquid lava bodies, or even solid bodies, it would be MUCH harder to spot, especially if we arent looking for them.

The only theory i could think of that is not already explored here

Namaste

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 06:25 AM
link   

thanks for the thoughtful wiki, friend, but i was just funning with your words
i know what a rogue body is, and i also know what colour a rouge one is
[as well as what potentially amnesiac automatons we would find onboard]

slightly more sciencishly, i have doubts that a single passing body could suck up all the dust in the area
even a really heavy one..... this was one hefty cloud of dust, remember..
to my mind it would be a little like throwing a tennis ball through a raincloud.... you'd take out a bit and you'd have a soggy ball on the other side, but it couldn't hope to drag the lot.
anything big enough to do so would also seriously disrupt the sun at the middle
....which may have happened, but you would expect that to be in the article too if it did.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by WiseThinker
This really had me thinking, and the the bottom of my thoughts, i remember, once on Coast to Coast AM last year.

There was a geologist who claimed that there were bobbles of a gas in our crust, that could only be there if the planet cooled over a VERY SHORT period, im talking it went from a liquid lava lump, to solid in a matter of minutes.

So maybe, planet formation happens in a short sharp time span, and maybe this is what happened to the dust, it all rapidly collected to liquid lava bodies, or even solid bodies, it would be MUCH harder to spot, especially if we arent looking for them.

The only theory i could think of that is not already explored here

Namaste

Interestingly enough... I once read a thing about the formation of granite, and how it occurred naturally during the formation of Earth. The argument was made, that creation of granite took place over a very short period of time, going straight against popular theories as to the time line of Earths creation. Mostly all of which took place during the Precambrian or Proterozoic time periods. The author suggested, that instead of taking place over millions, thousands, or even hundreds of years... that the majority of granite found on Earth was created in 10's of years, if not shorter.

From everything that I've read, randomly during my short time alive... I've concluded a couple things.

1. Confirmation bias is the devil...

2. Observer-expectancy effect has diluted perceptions of reality...

3. Things happen faster than we think they can...

We think we have found the answers, while we subconsciously manipulate our perceptions to make these answers fit, and in the end... it all falls apart quicker than we had anticipated. No matter what fun physics, mathematics, or psycho/sociological tools applied, for they are derivatives of what we have indoctrinated into our understanding based on previously mentioned bias'. This applies to all sciences, and most importantly... governance.

Upon deeper thinking about this Houdini-like vanishing act event in space, I have concluded two things... either a rouge celestial body is responsible... or like you hinted... the 'dust' coalesced rapidly, faster than cosmologists want to accept. I hope that they do spend some good time observing this star, finding out just where this 'dust' may have gone. There's really only so many possible ways for this to have happened, many of which are still observable... but not for long. I'm sure this is weighing heavy on many minds, and this will in fact happen. I can't wait to hear what comes from this! It could possibly change our entire paradigm of the rate in which galaxies and more so planetary systems form.

Edit: Oh hey, what do ya know... a couple google searches later, and I found something referencing what I was talking about(in regards to granite, and the creation of earth)

The Age Of Earth and The Formation Of The Universe Honors Seminar

Polonium Halos as a Creationist Clock
By Scott Pfahler

It is important to note, however, that polonium halos do not give any specific age of the Earth and young Earth supporters are not attempting to use them as a dating method. Instead, polonium halos are seen as a way to discount scientists' claims that the Earth has a geologic record which took billions of years to form. In short, polonium halos are not natural clocks because they cannot be said to give any specific age, but creationists infer certain things about these halos that they say are evidence of a young Earth.

It's not that Earth isn't of great age, it's that the scientific community is inaccurate in their understanding of the rate in which it became what it is.

He believes that because of polonium's remarkably short half-life, (sometimes just microseconds long) there is no way that these granites could have formed through millions of years of cooling as geologists commonly claim, but instead must have formed nearly instantaneously, as by some supernatural power.

I'm going to go out on a limb here, and call this man crazy. But just crazy enough... to maybe be right. Although I haven't read too much about it, admittedly. I don't support the conclusion that some 'supernatural power' is responsible, but I would agree that science really doesn't explain all that much and what we have accepted is far from the truth.

Who is Robert V. Gentry?

en.wikipedia.org...

Robert V. Gentry (born 1933) is a nuclear physicist and young earth creationist, known for his claims that radiohalos provide evidence for a young age of the Earth. He is a member of the Seventh-day Adventist Church.[1]

Further more...

Gentry received a masters degree in physics from the University of Florida, and thereafter worked in the defense industry, in nuclear weapons research.[1] In 1959 he was influenced by a televangelist, and subsequently converted to Seventh-day Adventism and strict creationism. Thereafter he entered the doctoral programme at Georgia Institute of Technology, but left when he was refused permission to work on the age of the Earth for his dissertation.[2]

I smell conspiracy! Anybody else?
edit on 9-7-2012 by FractalChaos13242017 because: additional statement

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Trying to think outside the box made me think of something; what evidence do they have that it was dust to begin with? Aren't they just speculating? This question may draw a bit of ridicule, but perhaps someone here knows the answer, and will enlighten us...

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Like soymilkalaska said the gas and dust were probably at a perfect mixture of oxygen, helium and other gasses coupled with fine dusts at a flammable ratio, add fusion and POOF! Its kind of what happens when a flour mill explodes.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Maybe a STAR unseen there was in the process of going black hole or neutron star and ate everything? Or there was a cosmic distortion that occured where the original pic w/ the gas was a reflection from another location and what ever caused the misunderstood image (like a lens) has moved. Thats a lot of gas that just dissappeared, interesting find OP.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by SoymilkAlaska
dust near star?

hmmmmm.

star have big gravity

and fire HOT.

me thinks dust go INTO FIRE

FIRE HOT HOT.

FIRE EAT DUST.

Hot.....

peace

Did you even read the article? It would not disappear due to heat, it would turn into finer dust.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Dang, I told my wife it was aliens that stole our Dyson.....

Could have been a star faring civilization in billions of ships recharging their batteries before moving on...

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
we are observing it from the past, maybe a piece of time has been cut -out or dropped for some reason...

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   

The Graphics Processor responsible for the dust cloud burnt out.

They cant replace it because it would look too fishy!

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by AtcGod

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

That possibility is in the very improbable category. They would have had to be extremely idiotic to go after a disaggregated cloud dust in place of taking a few condensed planets. Imagine the trouble of getting all those particles the time and energy required now compare that with taking a moving some planets around...

The only advantage would be if it was a slow process (done in steps because of mass issues) but that isn't the case here...

One thing is certain nothing dispersals, it has been moved/transformed into something else...

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Oh great first there was global warming.............then climate change..........and now dust disappearing (unlike the dust in my house that keeps appearing)

I can feel another tax coming on !!!!!

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
SPAM removed by Admin
edit on Jul 9th 2012 by Djarums because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
The first pic posted by OP is an illustration... the second a photo? Would be nice to have a before after set of images to see the difference. Of course a dust cloud big enough to see from earth would indeed be really big. And thinly dispersed.

We are in a nebula but don't see that from here. You have to look a long ways away to resolve that fact. So from that stars position, I dunno if that dust would be visible outside your average spacecraft window. You would need a really big vacuum to suck up all that dust. It would take a lot longer than 6 months(?) to do that.

But one thing that could change almost overnight is the luminosity that reflects off the dust making it visible to our far away eyes. Either generated by the star there or some other source. Whats the nearest other sun or group of suns?

Not having a before pic of "dust" ring it is hard to make a quantitative leap of logic anyway.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   

maybe the dust is a living organism and it decided to split

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join