It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Funny thought about Model Rocketry

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
So, I am building some model rockets with my son. I had built some as a kid, mainly when I was a Civil Air Patrol Cadet (earned the Cadet Model Rocketry badge, which was cool, looked kind of like the USAF Missile Badge, and worn in the same place). Built a few more when i worked at US Space Camp....

Anyways, just so happens science channel is showing episodes of the "Large Dangerous Rocket Ships" competition, and showing some of the various rockets. Some of the highlites included a civilian rocket that has made it to space. Several that race to 10,000+ feet, a full size Patriot Missile model that went to 7000 feet, some equipped with digital cameras' to film the launch, several that could go 1000 mph+ a 1/10 Saturn V model that is probably 5 stories high, etc...etc...you get the idea.

And then I had a funny thought. You have Iran and North Korea who, as national projects are still having trouble with even short and medium range missiles....and yet we have people building the above in their garages. I know there is a differnece, with Iran and N.Korea trying to guide and deliver a warhead over 1000s of miles. But still, just kind of a funny thought.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
This brings back some childhood memories : ) It is such a awesome and intense hobby these days !

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I think the guys from "Storm Chasers" should use them to launch tornado monitoring devices into the storms from a safe distance.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   
You know what else is a funny thought? Most 3/4 of American flags are made in China.

Know what else is funny? The US has over two million of the world 9.5 million inmates. We also have the longest prison sentences, the longest probationary periods, as well as the youngest and oldest prisoners and people in prison and / or on probationary or "corrective" sentences. And we consider ourselves the freest nation on Earth, yet we have the most laws to break.

And model rockets? Yea, I see what you mean. but those rockets don't carry explosives and when they launch, they are far less prone to malfunction or explode, not to mention travel extremely long distances, hitting an exact target, while evading radar or enemy fire.

edit on 8-7-2012 by SubPop79 because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-7-2012 by SubPop79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Ya remember in the mid 70 could only fire them in winter because of fire retriction here in northern ontario
had a tree stage 2 " with 3 D engine best I got was 3,000 feet
Ho fired one from under water also first stage just made it above the water then the second and third stage
did not seperate so that was the end of that one

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by SubPop79

I mentioned about the techncial difficulties....it was just a funny thought....

Looking at the rest of your reply, you do know what that is right....fun?!?......Think positivie much???

This is, after all...."Generaol Chit Chat" Forum
edit on 9-7-2012 by SrWingCommander because: add

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I remember saving money from my paper route to build the cool twin engine Estes Gemini ...that worked fine. The next big one was the Saturn 5 with 4 engines. Almost 3 feet tall...took a lot of savings.....well it came down to launch day. As the engines fired (guess I did not use enough glue on one of the engine holders) 1 rocket engine tore up and through the rocket causing a fire on the whole thing, it went up about 10 feet and Corene d into the ground on fire! Yep I was a little upset with all the work I put into it....kind of like a North Koren rocket.

I wonder were they buy there kits?

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Iran?? Maybe...Estes is probably the best kits, maybe the NKs should call them.

new topics

top topics

join