It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just sittin in the shade

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by gwynnhwyfar

Gotta use the gifts God gave ya!

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by PurpleChiten

Well, nobody was IN the car, typically, since we were there at folks' houses, washing them in their driveways...

I was thinking more along the lines of how we didn't MEAN to dent the hoods or roofs...

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by gwynnhwyfar

OHHHHHH .... ooops!!!

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Sure! If your paying!

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Hay rides! Did you get to go on any of those, PC? I used to love them.

How I loved McCall's magazines! I had a Betsy McCall "paper" doll and always cut out her dresses. The prettiest dresses I've ever owned were made by my Mom and grandmother.

Sorry I disappeared last night. We finally got a good rain by way of a thunder storm (which knocked my wifi out). It looks like, perhaps, we may get the same today; but I am not complaining.

J

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by LadyJae

I LOOOVEEEDDD the hayrides!!! Especially the ones that were for fun and not me on the wagon stacking the hay!!

My sisters would lug the bales up to the wagon and I'd stack them until dad figured out how to hook the wagon to the back of the baler and let the bales slide up the chute and onto the wagon. It worked great as long as I kept up and he didn't go above second gear and half throttle

No problem, it stormed here too and I decided to turn in

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   
There's a website, Jibjab.com that does a "summation" of each year in January. Here's last year's example:

I wonder what will be in this year's summation?
We've had the earthquakes, the forest fires, the second highest gasonine price on record, then a drop, the SCOTUS approved the Health Care act, we've had a TON of stuff about the Myans, and are now in a historic heat wave that's breaking long held records.

What are the big events that will be included in the 2012 video?

If we had personal videos of our very own, what would be in yours?

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Caledonea talking about Mom's recipes kinda struck home with me. My Mother has been gone since '86, but the fig trees are full and we're making tarts. My Mother used to make them whenever the figs got ripe, and I was in the process when I decided to click on this thread. I cooked the figs down yesterday, and picked some more this morning. I have two large fig trees in my front yard, and a couple of others on the property. I planted the ones in my front yard back in the early 90's; the others were already here.

The way we do it is to roll out some dough similar to making biscuits, and fill them with figs that we've previously cooked down. Then fold them over and seal the edge with a little pressure from a fork or something similar (like apple turnovers). Then we cook them in a deep-fryer until they're just right, let them cool a minute and add powdered sugar, cinnamon or whatever you like. If you like figs, you'll find these tarts absolutely delightful.

My goat "Maggie" loves the over-ripe ones, and I leave some on the lower branches for the grand-kids to reach. I don't get the higher ones either because I leave them for the birds.
Thanks for sharing you guys, hope you're having as much fun as I am with Mom's recipes today.

BTW, the cooked figs can be frozen for later as well, although we generally just can them.
edit on 7/9/2012 by visualmiscreant because: grammar

edit on 7/9/2012 by visualmiscreant because: spelling

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by visualmiscreant

Oh man... that reminds me of one of my favorite treats from my grandmother!! Fried Apple Pies!!!

We'd pick up the apples as they fell from the trees. Peel, slice then put them on the roof with netting to keep the flies off to let them dry out (dehydrating before the dehydraters). She'd store them for the winter but always used some to make an apple-pie type filling.
She'd roll out the biscuit dough, put a dollop in the middle, fold them over and "seal them" with a fork to make the cool little ridged edges then fry them up in a skillet of grease.

They were sooooooo good!!! Hot ones were great, but they were even good the next day after they had cooled off a lot. She's put them in little sandwich bags and send us off with a bunch to eat while we played.

Thank you for that great memory!!!

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I was born in 1958. I remember when we were told not to play in the woods but of course we did anyway. The first time I discovered a salamander there I was utterly fascinated. I tried taking one home but Mom and Dad didn't go for it. Mom was like, "What the hell is that thing? Get it out of here!" LOL My brother and all the guys in the neighborhood built a fort and I wasn't allowed because I was a girl, but one of the guys let me in when the other guys wern't around.
Being out in the woods was so amazing, like a world within a world. So quiet except for the sound of songbirds and buzzing insects.

I remember when there was hardly any traffic and we could actually play in the middle of the road. Whatever we did, we were always outside playing, no computers or video games. We had wonderful imaginations and could be explorers in space or whatever we wanted to be. We would sit in the yard and read a good book with the sun shining down and the wind in our hair.

I too remember catching fireflies, it seemed so magical and special. There wern't as many buildings back then and areas were more open with tall trees and green grass. There was nowhere near as much crime. Ah, the good old days innocent and free.

edit on 9-7-2012 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   
That's what nostalgia is all about! It may not have been "great and wonderful" back then, but it's "great and wonderful" in our memories! :up;

The heat has eased up a LOT today!! It's been rainy off and on, but a very welcomed rain!!

How's the heat wave treating everyone else?

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleChiten
There's a website, Jibjab.com that does a "summation" of each year in January. Here's last year's example:

I wonder what will be in this year's summation?
We've had the earthquakes, the forest fires, the second highest gasonine price on record, then a drop, the SCOTUS approved the Health Care act, we've had a TON of stuff about the Myans, and are now in a historic heat wave that's breaking long held records.

What are the big events that will be included in the 2012 video?

If we had personal videos of our very own, what would be in yours?

Ok now that was friggin hysterical....not sure wether to laugh or cry....what I don't get is how can it all be so OBVIOUS.......and it still continues.....sigh......
edit on 9-7-2012 by MountainLaurel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   

That's what nostalgia is all about! It may not have been "great and wonderful" back then, but it's "great and wonderful" in our memories! :up;

The heat has eased up a LOT today!! It's been rainy off and on, but a very welcomed rain!!

It was great and wonderful in many ways, and in some ways, maybe very difficult, and more so for others, and I'm not talking about myself here, because I had it good compared to others, though there were some very difficult times.

I think nostalgia has a way of remembering the good, or making the simple and even mundane seem pleasurable.

We could all be very well talking about these good ol' days down the road, and remembering the hot days , and even the struggles of the economy with a nostalgic type fondness.

Its all good ! ..even if its bad sometimes.

edit on 9-7-2012 by WhisperingWinds because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhisperingWinds

It was great and wonderful in many ways, and in some ways, maybe very difficult, and more so for others, and I'm not talking about myself here, because I had it good compared to others, though there were some very difficult times.

I think nostalgia has a way of remembering the good, or making the simple and even mundane seem pleasurable.

We could all be very well talking about these good ol' days down the road, and remembering the hot days , and even the struggles of the economy with a nostalgic type fondness.

Its all good ! ..even if its bad sometimes.

edit on 9-7-2012 by WhisperingWinds because: (no reason given)

Thanks for staying more positive

Yeah, even though we're not necessairly "happy" right now, we'll probably remember back with fondness. That seems to be one of the tricks that our memory plays on us.

For the mundane things, I guess there's a lot to the old saying "little things mean a lot"

I wonder what things we'll hold on to for our "nostalgia" down the road from what we're experiencing now?

Maybe getting closer to family and friends? Reconnecting with how important the bare essentials are?

....hopefully it won't be reminiscing about "back when we were free" or "before the big war"... we can only hope!!

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Thanks for staying more positive

I am positive (or at least i see myself that way), just at times very honest . I haven't changed my mind about how I want kids of today to see the past. There has always been corruption, and in many ways I do think we have come along way, but in other way perhaps digressed.

For the mundane things, I guess there's a lot to the old saying "little things mean a lot"

I shouldn't have used the word mundane, because what I meant was just purely the 'simple" things...like the taste of a cream-sickle on a hot summer day, with the feeling of sand between your toes, and the smell of lake water in the air. The smell of a great stew cooking , while snowflakes hurled themselves at my bedroom window, all while thinking to myself how much I was enjoying the book I was reading. The comfort of a warm house, the security of a loving family ..and the excitement of Christmas just around the comer.

I think those "simple" pleasures will be remembered fondly by all of us grown ups and children in the years to come.

I do hope your correct, and it won't be with words like "before the big war"..

I think we can both agree , that as long as humanity can pull together, and feel the joys and pleasures of the 'simple" things in life,and the love and laughter of friends and families, we will be truly rich, and we can pull through anything the future holds for us, or whatever damages the past has done to us.

Peace purple one,
, and may the future hold many more of these rich blessings for you, as well as your loved ones.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Beautiful examples of the "simple things" in life!!

Gotta have some "warm fuzzies" to balance out all that goes on in the world

And this is a good ole "warm fuzzy" thread

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by WhisperingWinds

That was truely beautiful..........

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Beautiful examples of the "simple things" in life!!

Gotta have some "warm fuzzies" to balance out all that goes on in the world

And this is a good ole "warm fuzzy" thread

Thankyou.

I was under the impression this was a thread about the good ol' days, when everything was easier, not about "warm fuzzies" so pardon me for bringing up some harsh realities about the good ol' days, if the topic wasn't about the past.

Maybe I got confused by the first two paragraphs in your op.

quote from Op

Back in the "old days" when things were more simple, you could walk around town in the evenings and your neighbors were all out sitting on their porch or in the yard under the shade tree, or even down at the General Store. Kids were playing in the yard and even in the street. You'd stop and chat a while, laugh a little, maybe share a cup of coffee or nice cold lemonade or iced tea.

Those days are surely missed, when the biggest thing we had to worry about was getting our kids into a good college so they could build a better life than we had... come to find out, that just wasn't possible, we had the best life there could be.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by MountainLaurel
reply to post by WhisperingWinds

That was truely beautiful..........

Thank you... and you are more beautiful than any mere words of mine could hope to be.

Remember that .

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   
reply to post by MountainLaurel

You'll have to check out their other year summations! There are some really good ones!!! There's a TON of them so I'm just going to give some links instead of embedding all of them.

You can just search JibJab on Youtube or go to jibjab.com but youtube is easier to find without wading through the other stuff.
www.youtube.com... Kerry/Bush campaign
www.youtube.com... Good to be in DC
www.youtube.com... 2010
www.youtube.com... 2009
www.youtube.com... 2008
www.youtube.com... 2007
www.youtube.com... 2006
www.youtube.com... 2005
www.youtube.com... 2004
www.youtube.com... 2003

new topics

top topics