It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just sittin in the shade

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I have some fond memories of the good ol' days, but there was just as much "bad" in them, and in some aspects maybe more.

Those were the days you dared not speak out against an abusive clergy member or authoritative figure like a teacher. I witnessed some horrendous things done by teachers, and no kid dared speak out.

I think the old days had a lot of repression against speaking out against authority figures who abused their positions of power and trust. These days it easier for kids to feel they don't have to take it, and there is much more counseling and support for kids if they are experiencing difficult situations of any kind.

Yes, there was a neighborhood community with lots of kids that played with each other, but unfortunately there was also the odd creepo neighbor who liked to play creepy inappropriate games with neighborhood children. Back then I remember it was just handled as "so and so" has a bit of a 'sickness", and swept under the rug.

The summers were long, and hot, and boring. If you were a family just getting by, they were spent at an overly crowded public pool, with maybe a two week vacation at a lake, or a long boring car trip too far away, in a car that was equally as crowded as the pool.
(second hand comic books bought from the neighborhood kids was the only thing that stopped a world war from breaking out in the back seat)

I never enjoyed cow tipping, just for fun, or torturing insects, though my brother did like to start ant hills on fire.
I did enjoy reading books, and that is what kept me happy through the boredom. Artwork as well.

There was more freedom, and less fear about letting your kids out and about, but kids did go missing back then as well.

I'm sure everyone has their own unique experiences from back in the good ol' days, and its great that many have mostly great memories, but I think the same can be said for kids of today. Some will be talking like these were the good ol' days at some point, and maybe they will be, compared to what the future may hold for them, or by what they experienced.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Out of respect for the OP, I am removing my content that is off from the main topic and the overall intent of the thread.
edit on 8-0720127-1212 by gwynnhwyfar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Actually, it's interesting that this came up, because I've watched episodes of Mad Men where I had those flashback moments. So many of the props are the same things my family had. We had that same cabinet stereo record player. I wore the same pj's (home sewn, from a Mc-Call's pattern) as the little girl on the show. We had the same metal kitchen stool with the unfolding steps. I used to admire my Mom and Aunts dresses, and yes, I had to help them zip up the backs.

But also those negative things rang a bell - like when the family was on a picnic and was leaving, and they just gathered up their blanket and left all their trash and thought nothing of it. I noticed that in particular because my family was so concientious about "packing out" trash and my friends thought we were wierd. Also the way the secretaries are treated, and how everybody drinks and smokes all the time in that show. It's not far-off from how it actually was... I was born in 1968 and grew up through a lot of that period.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by gwynnhwyfar

I remember my mom sewing my sister's Homecoming dress from a McCalls pattern and going with them to pick out the fabric.
She wanted the crush-velvet and they couldn't find it. (it was the 70's) So she bought a set of curtains and made the dress out of them...it looked really good though!!

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Thank you for seeing my point, and acknowledging it wasn't all fun and games , with the cleaver type families, and like I said, different people have had different experiences.

Appreciating the good ones is great to do, and making the bad ones distant memories, but a catalyst for change is a good thing.

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandma, and that must have been difficult for the whole family.
edit on 8-7-2012 by WhisperingWinds because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Purpose of the thread:

Let's share our friendship and virtual coffee/lemonade/ice tea and bring back those feelings of comfort and happiness that we once felt in abundance.

Don't ruin it for everybody like you are prone to do.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by PurpleChiten

I bet it did look great! If it worked for Scarlett, in Gone With the Wind, it should work for a Prom/Homecoming dress.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   

We didn't have a lot, but we made do with what we had

And smiled while we did it!

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Anybody else remember the Drive-in Movies??

We still have one pretty close by. I try to go at least once a year just for nostalgic purposes

There are still quite a few out there!

www.driveinmovie.com...

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I'm sorry if my opinion that it wasn't all comfort and happiness in the good ol' days makes some uncomfortable.

I think its wise to point out to the younger generations that may be struggling with issues in this world , that there were issues back then as well, and many of them were changed because people acknowledged them ,and promoted change through exposing them.

I don't want them to feel that kids back them constantly had smiles on their faces, and didn't have to struggle with difficult situations, and make difficult choices.

Maybe they will see that change can be brought about for issues effecting people all over this world, and it wasn't all a bed of happy memories back in the good ol' days, and in many aspects..we've come along way.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   

I missed the drive in boat, but we went to LOTS of plays and now in the town where my folks retired, there is this wonderful old theatre, Stuart's Opera House, that has all kinds of great shows, from community theater, to touring bands like the Red Stick Ramblers, and lots of other stuff going on, that is so much fun!

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Wow! That sounds great!! I wish we had more entertainment of that type around here. I'm sure they're building some happy memories!

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   

I remember going! they used to charge per car so everyone used to cram as many people as possible in one car!

those were the days!

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   

you should go to Branson Mo.

thats a cool place

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by OpinionatedB

When they started charging per person, we'd have at least three that would hide in the trunk and another in the floorboard of the backseat under a blanket!!

If they couldn't see them, they couldn't charge them!

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Branson is pretty great!!!

Always a good time to be had and it's good, clean fun!

....or Vegas!!! I'm flexible!

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   

lol... I have never been to Vegas

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleChiten

Wow! That sounds great!! I wish we had more entertainment of that type around here. I'm sure they're building some happy memories!

It is really fun! We go out every Thanksgiving to spend time with the folks, and usually catch a couple of shows at Stuart's!

BTW - I didn't make the drive-in boat, but I totally remember the skating craze! We had a permanent skating rink in Colorado Spgs (yeah, I lived all over, I am the quintessential military brat) and my friends and I skated there regularly.

Which reminds me of this...

We used to go around the neighborhood washing cars in order to earn money to go to the movies, or go horseback riding in Pine Valley!!! We charged $5.00 a car, and we had to use the owner's hose, but we brought our own buckets, sponges, car washing detergent, towels, and chamois clothes to dry and detail it with. Don't blame me if we felt like we had to climb on top to do the job right!

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 11:22 PM
link   

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join