It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just sittin in the shade

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by gwynnhwyfar
My cousins and I always used to catch fireflies in a jar on summer evenings!

They were so pretty flashing! We would take them to our bedroom for a few minutes, but we always turned them loose.

J

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by LadyJae

ahhhhh the memories!!! .... we had a permanent roller rink, kind of special for such a tiny town!! We lived in town but had a farm "out in the country"...we spent the weekends out there.

Did you ever do any cow-tipping?

Kids these days just don't know the fun we had!! Our imaginations were better than the internet and more fun than the TV....

We had a mix of the Cowboys and Indians and the Space Race in the 70's, a touch of the old, a touch of the new.... I have to say, that was the greatest decade so far.... for me anyway. I'm sure the ones before it were great too, I just wasn't alive yet

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by LadyJae

good ole Mason Jar with holes poked in the lid... those were the nightlights back then!

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleChiten
reply to post by LadyJae

ahhhhh the memories!!! .... we had a permanent roller rink, kind of special for such a tiny town!! We lived in town but had a farm "out in the country"...we spent the weekends out there.

Did you ever do any cow-tipping?

Kids these days just don't know the fun we had!! Our imaginations were better than the internet and more fun than the TV....

We had a mix of the Cowboys and Indians and the Space Race in the 70's, a touch of the old, a touch of the new.... I have to say, that was the greatest decade so far.... for me anyway. I'm sure the ones before it were great too, I just wasn't alive yet

Well, there was a permanent rink not too far away, but the atmosphere was totally different. When that rink came around, it was like the circus had come to town.

Lol...Our imaginations were better because we had to use them more...lol And that's not a bad thing, I don't think.

Yes, the 70's were a magical time. The 60's is the decade I identify with more, but the 50's is the decade I'd love to live in as an adult. I'm sure my perspective would change, but that seems to be time I'm "stuck" in...lol. It just seemed a more innocent time. For people at least.

J

ETA: Cow-tipping? No! My grandfather would have tanned my hide.
edit on 7/8/2012 by LadyJae because: added content

edit on 7/8/2012 by LadyJae because: grammar

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   

reply to post by gwynnhwyfar

It may sound cruel today.... but did you ever bust open the lighted end and rub them on your arms and legs to make yourself glow in the dark? Bug guts allllll over us!

Nooooo! Sorry, but nope. We never did that, just caught 'em and then let em' go later on when they got tired and stopped flashing so much.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
speaking of the roller rinks being like the circus...

The Lyons Club always had the circus once a year and a county fair once a year.... we thought they were the greatest things on earth!!!

We also had a Horse Show every 4th of July, we even had William Shatner there once which was BIG for a tiny little town like ours... actually one of the major horse shows for Tennessee Walkers, not sure how our tiny little town got it, but they did

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Stars your Purple Czarness.... little blue stars dude...

hahahaha

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadyJae
What a wonderful thread, OP
I was born in the early 50's.

I miss chasing "lighting bugs" (fireflys), family reunions, and cold homemade lemonade.

I miss being able to stop and help a motorist along the road without fear of being murdered, going out to the store at night without looking over my shoulder, and being able to leave the front door unlocked.

And my grandmother's homemade cakes and candies!!

J

yea, me too, born in 1960..

i always remember mom saying " be home when the streetlights come on"

and sleepovers were held in the back yard...

drinking from anyone's hose was ok..

digging a fort in an old field was way cool..

someone always had lemonade or iced tea to drink..

edit on 8-7-2012 by baddmove because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   
a little more nostalgia... I'm a country chiten

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I've been watching this thread sense you posted it PC and going through the flashbacks right along with ya. The eve time was my favorite all the Moms sittin on the porch while the Dads an us boys BBQ the brats an Burgers made with liptons onion soup mix. The girls rollerskating in the ga rages and driveways. Catchin the lightnin bugs and smearing them on our clean white t-shirts and throwing balls up at the bats as they flew by looking for insects. Some of us playin Frisbee with the new state of the art glow in the dark model in the middle of the street. Oh happy days.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
....that's all I can think of right now...........

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

All we can do is try to expose our kids and grandkids to as much of the "fun" as we can....at whatever time they're willing to participate

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by MountainLaurel

well, we have the time machine, a good shade, some good drinks in the red solo cups.... we can always jump ahead or back anytime we want!!!

Today sure was another scorcher here. We hit 100 again, a solid week of it and have shattered records from the 1930's! Storms have been passing through and next week's supposed to be cooler. I'm definitely looking forward to it!!! Mid to High 80's all week instead of 100's will be a welcome change!

How's your weather holding up?

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by baddmove
yea, me too, born in 1960..

i always remember mom saying " be home when the streetlights come on"

and sleepovers were held in the back yard...

drinking from anyone's hose was ok..

digging a fort in an old field was way cool..

someone always had lemonade or iced tea to drink..

We had a small creek below the house..crystal clear water that stayed cold as ice. I remember drinking from that creek while we worked in the garden. I haven't tasted water that good since then.

J

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by LadyJae

Here at the farm there's an old pump and well...we always hated drinking it though!! There are a lot of iron deposits in the ground water around here, mostly red-clay soil... you could definitely taste the iron in it.
Had an aunt from Indiana that always LOVED drinking the stuff though, it reminded her of her childhood growing up in this area.
She always drank water from that well and had fresh cowmilk when she visited us. ...she's in her 80's now and still kickin, so it sure didn't hurt her any.... maybe I should go pump me a glass.... I do use it for watering the flower garden when I don't want to get the hose out of the barn

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   

edit on 8-7-2012 by PurpleChiten because: The aliens stole my post!!!

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by PurpleChiten

since we have the time machine back lets go to early spring when it is still cool outside!

and I love making the glow body paint, but some little girl I know, cute as a button, thinks its gross to smash bugs on her arm!

what can I say...kids these days!

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by OpinionatedB

We've got one that doesn't mind it at all!! She'll smear it everywhere!!

...you saw her bare lil toes and tongue sticking out

edit on 8-7-2012 by PurpleChiten because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   

reply to post by LadyJae

Here at the farm there's an old pump and well...we always hated drinking it though!! There are a lot of iron deposits in the ground water around here, mostly red-clay soil... you could definitely taste the iron in it.
Had an aunt from Indiana that always LOVED drinking the stuff though, it reminded her of her childhood growing up in this area.
She always drank water from that well and had fresh cowmilk when she visited us. ...she's in her 80's now and still kickin, so it sure didn't hurt her any.... maybe I should go pump me a glass.... I do use it for watering the flower garden when I don't want to get the hose out of the barn

You know, I can remember the kitchen sink at my grandmother's had a hand pump. (I can just barely remember using a ladle to drink from a crock that used to sit in it's place.) I don't remember any iron taste though. I can't imagine that drinking water with metal sediments in it could be good for a person.

I've always preferred fresh whole milk! The jugged type tastes more like milky water to me. I've churned up many a crock of buttermilk with my granny and made more than a few pounds of real butter. There's nothing on the market that compares to the taste of homemade butter!

Many of my younger years was spent on a working farm. We milked our own cows, planted and canned our own vegetables, picked and canned our own fruit, slaughtered and ate our own meat. Back breaking work but an independence that is almost unattainable now. It certainly fostered in me a deep respect for the animals.

J

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   
The absolute WORST thing we ever raised was 4 acres of bell peppers!!!

They didn't get over two feet tall so you had to bend over to pick them and it took forever!!! I'll never ever ever ever raise peppers again!!

I LOVE baling hay and raising tobacco though!

by the time you paid for the plants, set them with the tobacco setter, picked them and took them to the pepper station, you didn't really make much off them. We could have made more cutting posts than doing those darn peppers

and we're in the middle of Daniel Boone National Forest, so there are plenty of posts to cut! Trees everywhere!! I live in the middle of the woods

edit on 8-7-2012 by PurpleChiten because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join