It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Do I Bother?!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Reading some of the responses and posts of many of the people here, I wonder... why bother? Some people just hold on to their illusions with both hands and refuse to see the truth. Why beat my head against the walls of denial and ignorance? Then I remember one of my favorite poems and I know why I cannot give up.

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.

Dylan Thomas

The light of a once proud republic is fading away. Our freedoms and liberties seen only dimly in the darkness. As the end nears, as totalitarianism approaches, I grieve knowing that my children and your will never know the taste of freedoms we took for granted.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   
its just a website.
chillax.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
History teaches us that totalitarianism always breeds revolution, although I don't think the US has quite reached that stage yet.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

If it was easy, would it be worth it?? Doubtful! Don't beat yourself up, take a break, relax and then move on with your mission! Nothing good in life comes easy my friend. If your purpose is genuine, you will have these moments. It is what you do after, that will make you stronger.........

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by lacrimosa
its just a website.
chillax.
Do you have your fiddle/violin?

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Freedom to slavery to freedom to slavery.... it's like a sine wave pattern we humans go through. Right now we are on our way back toward slavery, some countries have reached that mark while others are lagging behind leaders like N. Korea and China.

Pretty predictable pattern if you think about it.

When humans are starving and desperate, they pay more attention to their surroundings and their brains seem to work overtime.
When humans are fat and content, their minds get lazy and stop noticing every little detail around them, which is when governments/empires take advantage of the asleep.

Don't waste your time on those whose ears and eyes are firmly closed, nothing you say to them will get past the ego and pride. Reverse psychology works on some, backdoor the ego with that.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by XeroOne
History teaches us that totalitarianism always breeds revolution, although I don't think the US has quite reached that stage yet.
Those revolutions do not always succeed. It is better to resist the dictators before they seize power. Here the seizure is so obvious and in slow motion yet few actually resist. It reminds me of the clapping scene in the senate of the republic

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
All truth is relative.

One person's truth is another person's lie.

Example: Hitler. Even today Hitler is still a hero to millions of people around the planet, despite all the negative comments about him you see.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Why bother? Because you never know whom your words are going to touch. Just because they may not respond, doesn't mean they aren't affected, and don't take what you have to say to heart.

Keep writing what you feel is true. If even one person's mind is changed or opened up because of it, then you have succeeded.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I read what you say.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Good rant and good on you for not giving up.

I had forgotten that poem over time but I am going to paste it into a doc so I may visit from time to time.

Thanks.

The fight to return to liberty is not over yet.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

It is a good one. Good literature can be very inspiring. Do they even teach such in public schools these days? For some reason I doubt it. Reading real literature may cause independent thought.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Though it is a sad poem, I am also fond of "The Charge of the Light Brigade."

The dedication and loyalty made by those depicted is inspiring as well.

new topics

top topics

join