It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Louisana eliminates state funding for libraries

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
Plus with the rise of people having internet access, libraries are not as vital as they have been in the past. But that won't stop liberals from pouring money into failing programs, that's what they do.
I would venture to say that if you stepped into a library lately, you'd find they're about more than books. They are also where a lot of folks without computers or internet access go to use the technology.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
I'm sure if Library funding is cut, a bunch of very concerned liberals will step up and donate funds out of their own pockets.

Wait....never mind....liberals don't like spending their money on things the mean something to them. That is the governments job. I wish they would put their money where their mouth is, but it won't happen.

Why don't you make a deal with the liberals, they will pay for the libraries and then the conservatives pay for the war in Iraq, Afganistan, and the war on drugs.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by stanguilles7

Privatization is a done deal. Even the Library of Congress is run by Library System Service Inc last I heard. I would prefer otherwise, and it is feasible to have true public libraries comes back, but I doubt that will happen until after private enterprise has upped the revenue stream in the course of modernizing and then goes too far, which will create demand for a return to free public owned service, because the government is too incompetent to pull something like this off. Only if the change starts in public schools will that scenario be avoided.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by The Vagabond

I'm confused. I've never seen one of these for-profit libraries you are referring to. Where has this been the case? And how do they generate income? Do you have to pay for a library card?

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by LDragonFire

In this state the prison industry is private and for profit, now arrests and imprisonment are way up.

Now they will gut the last remaining state funds for libraries.

RED state people please do consider carefully how you vote!!!!

They do consider how they vote they don't want police, fire, EMS, libraries or schools. And really I do not blame them one bit because they have all these things and obviously none of it has helped cure the vote against your own economic interest mentality they have always had.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by stanguilles7

They still say public library, you would never know that it was private or for profit. What happens is that the localities wash their hands of the library and hand the money over to LSSI, who in turn do all of the hiring and management at cut rate and pocket their cut of the public funds.

That's why in many places where there are networks that allow you to order books from other nearby libraries, the libraries in wealthier cities don't participate- because the wealthier cities didn't sell out to LSSI and thus don't participate in the corporate network.

I have plans this evening but later I will be back with more info. I need to dig up some links to really outline how it works- my only knowledge of it comes from getting a job at a public library which made me an employee of this private company for a while.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Thanks for the info. I am very perplexed as to how it can be a 'private' for-profit when it has no revenue stream other than taxes.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 12:43 AM
link   
OK, on further examination, "done deal" was an overstatement. It turns out that the county I was working in at that library was the first in the country to turn its entire library system over to private enterprise- so I got a look at the future a bit early and assumed that was the nature of the business already, especially given how much they loved pointing out that they even ran the Library of Congress.

Wikipedia- RCLS

How did they do it? Well there's not a lot of documentation on that online, besides the superficial PR spiel on their website.

We specialize in helping communities create a fresh, revitalized, new beginning for their library:
- implementing cost-saving efficiencies
- locating un-tapped funds
- harnessing today's electronic resources
- creating community outreach programs

But taking this stuff together with what I've actually seen in practice, it appears that what they do is fire the public employees and replace them with minimum wage part timers to reduce payroll, cut back on services deemed too expensive, start sending late accounts to collections (ie: selling debts), and start programs that qualify them for additional state and federal funds such as their adult literacy program link. They also have a considerable number of volunteers working for them, which of course reduces the need to spend government funds on creating jobs. The volunteers of course don't have to fill out a W-2 and think they are working at the public library- why would they assume anything other than that the money they save the library is going into other library programs- where else could it go right? Well, it goes to stock holders.

They get the entire budget, and any more funds they can qualify for, and all they have to do is spend less than they take in without falling outside the criteria of the funds they are receiving- and who the heck is checking really?

In other words, they are ALLOWED to skim off the top, as long as they keep the politicians out of trouble with the public.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   
One more thing to add

The Impact of Outsourcing and Privatization
On Library Services and Management

In the Riverside case, we uncovered some vague indications of increasing workloads and
decreasing compensation—especially in terms of benefits—that might lead to diminished work
forces over the long term. There was also a clear indication of a change in the staffing pattern in
some libraries, with non-professionals handling tasks that had formerly been carried out by
professionals. Some observers might interpret this as the cynical manipulation of labor by a forprofit employer. An equally valid view, in our opinion, is that this represents a specific instance
of a much larger trend in library management, involving innovative approaches to staffing
patterns in order to find more effective allocations of scarce resources. The evidence is equivocal
and the conclusions by no means certain. More study is needed, and perhaps more time to
develop a discernible pattern of activities.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Why should I care what happens in Louisiana? I'm sure people from all across the nation and world will now be sticking their nose in the business of a state they've maybe visited once for spring break. I'm starting to wonder if federalism is possible with modern technology.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by snusfanatic

While the people of the several states are of course entitled to do as they please within the bounds of the constitution, there are plenty of reasons why state policy has impact and is newsworthy beyond the states borders.

For example, if Louisiana or some other state eventually found itself spending so much on police and prisons that it could no longer produce literate students (we're no where near that point right now of course) then that state would become a drain on the union- its young people would be unfit for military service by reason of illiteracy, it's people would be statistically more likely to resort to crime for want of job skills (and those people are allowed to go to other states whenever they like mind you, which makes it everyone's business), etc.

So our country does have an interest in the strength and stability of each state. This does not give us authority over or an expectation of anything from them, but it should motivate us to be aware of their condition and be prepared to support them when they need and desire support, in the interest of the common good.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Carseller4

That doesn't include people who are no longer looking for work.

Nice try though!

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by snusfanatic

It is our business because a lot of tax dollars from people up North go to support those in the South.

I see that the southern states enjoy producing stupid people that only exist to drain society via crime, prison, etc.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Jindal is doing what any other politician does.He does not wanna look like he's "soft on crime." especially during an election year so,where do you make your budget cuts?

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   
##SNIPPED##
Are libraries as important as in years past? Maybe not, as technology improves access to information. However, libraries are still infinitely more important than National Guard bases, military spending, PARADES, and other stupid things.

I'm glad I'm on the back 9 of life. Things are NOT getting better for society.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
You know if southerners fit the stereotypes that some people seem to be operating from in this thread, there probably would have been a couple of duels by this point. Let's give each other a little more credit than to correlate intelligence to geography (which, ironically, is a little less than intellectual in and of itself).

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I spent my entire career as a librarian in a public library, funded by local property taxes. My state, Washington, is one of few that has NEVER had state aid to local libraries.

Somehow, we've done just fine--including in rural areas. State aid is just like Federal aid. It comes with expectations, rules, and requirements. In many states, for example, state aid comes in the form of "intermediate" library districts which administer state funds for such things as automation systems, and adminster Fedeeral funds from the LSTA system (Library Services and Technology Act). Basically this creates a whole new bureaucracy that local public libraries are beholden to. But they are our leaders and they know what is best for us.

In my view, as a practioner in the field, the local public library is far better off creating their own future with their own local public input. If you don;t have state aid to local public libraries, count your blessings.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   

I don't know about other areas, but the town in Alabama that I live in, people think you're crazy if you read. I had so many people ask me either "why??" or "Are you nuts?" when they found out that I like to read. The education level in that town is ridiculous. Out of 60 applications at the store that I worked in, about 5 graduated, and another 10-11 got their GED. Out of 60! The other 44 made it to MAYBE 10th grade.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Rough place to try and run a business I guess. I remember a Bill Hicks routine about that: "what you readin' for?..."

But one would hope that to be a worst case scenario rather than the norm, and at least that's an anecdotal example of a larger problem touching this topic, but I could fairly guess that the, 'nothing lost cause the whole south is ignorant' attitude that some are taking will miss some of the more relevant lessons this story offers.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Vagabond
I could fairly guess that the, 'nothing lost cause the whole south is ignorant' attitude that some are taking will miss some of the more relevant lessons this story offers.

Well said.

Thank you.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join