It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Higgs Boson, And Why You Should Care!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

Ghost147 did a good job dissecting your post so I'll just chime in with this:

often they have to keep changing their tunes when new information comes to light.

So you think they should stick to ideas that are contradicted by fact? What, like religious extremists who interpret their scripture literally? No thanks, again you have demonstrated nothing but your own ignorance of science.
edit on 10-7-2012 by john_bmth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by john_bmth

Ghost147 did a good job dissecting your post so I'll just chime in with this:

often they have to keep changing their tunes when new information comes to light.

So you think they should stick to ideas that are contradicted by fact? What, like religious extremists who interpret their scripture literally? No thanks, again you have demonstrated nothing but your own ignorance of science.
edit on 10-7-2012 by john_bmth because: (no reason given)

Your ignorant of the truth that science is actually philosophy in disguise. How can one fact today stop and cease to be a fact when new information tomorrow changes the way the thing being studied is perceived? It can't yet science claims this all the time. Hence there are no solid facts. Science is philosophy that often times becomes close minded dogma a religion unto itself. Many scientist refuse to even look at new data that challenge their views and pet theories. The upshot of this is science is no better than the religions so many of you abhor. You are claiming that science doesn't have any people with have rigid belief systems based on this dogma akin to religions. Look again, The scientific world is full of them. Perhaps you'd be a little less ignorant of science if you would open your eyes. You would claim but that's not the science it's the people - No, I say.. it's the scientific method and the ideology under which science is taught - it's flawed.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Again, you're just projecting your own misunderstandings of science. But, prey tell, what are your corrections to the supposed "flaws" of scientific method be?

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix
How can one fact today stop and cease to be a fact when new information tomorrow changes the way the thing being studied is perceived? It can't yet science claims this all the time. Hence there are no solid facts.

I have already stated that nothing is finite. However, that does not mean there are no solid facts. We know a phenomena is occurring (fact), our explanation on that phenomena is becoming ever more accurate. We can say beyond reasonable doubt that [so and so] is what likely causes [this phenomena] to do what it does. This tends to be a difficult concept to grasp for some people and is forgivable.

Religious individuals in particular are constantly taught within the mindset of "this is absolutely true and everything else is wrong and a lie", "I know the truth", "following these sacred texts will lead to the truth". Everything about their core belief system is absolute knowledge.

Science - on the other hand - works as you have stated. There is no absolute knowledge and it would be a risk to say so for we don't know everything. In fact we know little of anything at all.

But, we can - beyond reasonable doubt - devise an explanation from our observations in nature (which includes mathematics) that [so and so] is likely to cause [this phenomena].

It is the very same way our legal systems work.

~ Man is accused of murder
~ Evidence suggest he is guilty
~ Man is sentenced to prison

For the most part it is a good system. But, every once and a while, even though the evidence suggests otherwise, the sentence was incorrect.

Should - if this is the case - we abolish our legal system?

Many scientist refuse to even look at new data that challenge their views and pet theories.

Many? I have my doubts about that. I would say that a few do. Through those individuals arrogance comes their demise. Progression ends with that level of arrogance.

During the earlier years of modern science I would say that this was very accurate. Back then - however - theories were driven to abide by many religious views or other arrogant views. Saying that Humans were animals would be a good example.

You are claiming that science doesn't have any people with have rigid belief systems based on this dogma akin to religions. Look again, The scientific world is full of them.

Nope! I completely acknowledge that there are individuals out there that have the mindset in which you've described. This is not - however - a majority of the population by far.

Perhaps you'd be a little less ignorant of science if you would open your eyes. You would claim but that's not the science it's the people - No, I say.. it's the scientific method and the ideology under which science is taught - it's flawed.

I have never witnessed this. Could you provide some material in which the shows that the entire body of science is teaching in this way?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join