It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Higgs Boson, And Why You Should Care!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
So they found a particle that they think is the Higgs Boson. They know it exists now. There is no proof that this particle created the universe. I haven't seen anything other than advanced speculation yet, same with the big bang theory.

This finding only proves that this particle exists. They don't have a clue what they can do with it yet, only a few guesses. They don't know how to control it either or if they can use it to do anything yet. It is an important find but so was discovering the atom. If the atom was not discovered we would know nothing of Higgs Boson. Finding this partical just shows that science is starting to get a better understanding of things.

What the Physicists know today is just a start to what will be discovered. I don't think we will get interdimensional travel before we put ourselves into extinction. Maybe someone from the other side is way more advanced than us and could show us more if we were ready. But then again, there is still no real proof that other dimensions even exist yet.

As far as this being evidence that god doesn't exist, the proving of the God's partical is about as useless as a tit on a bull for proving that. I believe in God but I myself know that everything has to be created to exist. That includes God. Did God create the Universe? Beats me, I don't think knowing that is really that important to spend any time trying to find out more or prove it happened. I'm here, there's trees here, I gathered some dead wood to make a fire in my pit and cooked a couple corn on the cobs and some hot dogs. The hot dogs used to exist but now they don't. The corn on the cob used to exist and tomorrow I may find evidence of it's existence in the toilet. Those things I believe are true and the fact that I ate something is more important to me than the Higgs Boson. It's all a matter of perspective. This discovery can be important to others if they desire, it is their life and they can believe what they want about it's importance. I don't especially want to pay for it though, I think we need our roads fixed more than this research.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
So they found a particle that they think is the Higgs Boson. They know it exists now.

How do they know it isn't merely a psychophysical manifestation of their collective desires? An experimenter psi effect?

edit on 8-7-2012 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Wifibrains

Do you understand how cern works?

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
You do realise that it isn't actually called the "God particle" right? It is truncated from the "God-damned particle" called by one physicist because it was so "god-damned" hard to find. The term God Particle has been latched onto by news organisations for the purpose of sensationalizing this for the general public. This has nothing to do with religion.
The Higgs Boson is the "proof" that the Higgs Field exists. From my limited understanding it is not the "glue" that holds the universe together, it is more like water in a swimming pool the other particles swim in. It is needed to slow down all sub atomic particles enough so they don't just bounce of each other (like skateboarders in an empty pool) and are able to make connections to each other to become the atoms that the stuff in the universe is made up of. The idea of making space travel easier is to find a way to stop interacting with this Field/water so that light speed travel is possible. Light/photons and Gluons do not get slowed by the Higgs field.
Although I could be wrong but this is my understanding of this subject.
edit on 8/7/2012 by Lucas73 because: Spelling and Paragraphing

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   
After I watched the Michio Kaku (sp?) video the following video was one of the watch next vids.
style="height: 390px; width: 640px"> "http://www.youtube.com/v/RIg1Vh7uPyw?version=3&feature=player_embedded" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360">

Hope this works as I have never posted a video before.
FAIL! lol oh well here is the link

www.youtube.com...
edit on 8/7/2012 by Lucas73 because: put in link for video

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wifibrains
The methods are too destructive. What have they really found?
I wrote this earlier, www.abovetopsecret.com...
at the end of the thread, pg 3, I hopefully describe how to make a Higgs boson with one particle, avoiding destruction.
edit on 8-7-2012 by Wifibrains because: (no reason given)

You show you have zero understanding. I would explain, but it would be best if you simply researched on your own as I would have to write a book.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lucas73
You do realise that it isn't actually called the "God particle" right? It is truncated from the "God-damned particle" called by one physicist because it was so "god-damned" hard to find. The term God Particle has been latched onto by news organisations for the purpose of sensationalizing this for the general public.

Lederman gave it the nickname, and it was because it is "so central to the state of physics today, so crucial to our understanding of the structure of matter, yet so elusive". So no, it was not truncated from the God-damned particle, that actually stems from a joke that was made.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   
LHC and CERN is 99.99994% sure they discovered something. Most preferably a boson particle, but they are not sure if it's the Higgs. For that to be proven they need more data and research. If it is the Higgs, as you all know very well, then we could be able to manipulate space and time by just adjust the mass of matter. We could travel at speeds of 2.99792458 x 10 8 m/s.That's the speed of light. The photon has no mass so that's why its able to travel that fast. Think about it. These are implications that we cant even imagine. We could travel in time, warp speed, explore the vast universe. It may take decades, centuries, or even millenniums but the proven math is there and we will achieve it.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by PhD6Unknown

Source those wild fantasies please.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by PhD6Unknown

At best this allows us to recognise the Higgs Field. Hypothesising, we could say that perhaps we could "circumvent" this field, as to completely get rid of inertia and mass etc, allowing something to go at light speed and to be able to instantly change direction without any of those nasty Gs, but realise that a human travelling at light speed, for him/her, time would stop.

Truth be told, the only practical space travel I can think of that won't kill or blow the mind of a human is that folding space technique which allows you to get to a location faster than light without ever really going faster than light. It requires an incredible amount of energy for one.
edit on 9/7/12 by shadowland8 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 03:42 AM
link   

we are now able to have the potential of traveling inter-dimensionally, Traveling through time (backwards and forwards), we can now discover Worm-holes and gateways to other universes. We now have the potential ability to travel to parallel universes and to discover if all of these possibilities do in fact exist. All science within these fields point to the likely-hood of their existence, with the Higgs Boson we can confirm and potentiality use them.

Who is this 'we' you are talking about? 'We' have had the ability to go into space for 60 years now do you really think you will ever go there in your lifetime?

The discovery of the higgs will probably only benefit a few super rich and will probably never make any impact on the average joe in our lifetimes.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 04:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Diablos

Actually backwards time travel was first confirmed mathematically possible by Godel, and then a real physical possibility by Frank Tipler... String theory need not apply. All one needs for backwards time travel is rotating space.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Very true, they've not actually said it's the Higg's.. they're just mostly sure it is, 4.9 sigma probability.

It's like looking at a bus coming up the road, you know it's a bus, your just not sure of the number until it gets closer.

Personally I hope it is the Higgs Boson, then I might finally get an answer to a question I've wondered about for years...

"what happens if you combine Pasta and Antipasta ???"

Peace

Rock Ape

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 05:45 AM
link   
reply to post by XeroOne

Because it has NOTHING to do with god or gods. It's a flippant name, that is all. Please leave all this god nonsense out of it.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Why are all you people claiming the higgs boson has already officially been discovered?

This isn't actually the case at all, rather, after trawling through all the data generated by collisions at the LHC over the last year or whatever they are noticing some particular parts of this data that is standing out to them, indicating that something previously undetected has been detected. They are hopeful it is the higgs boson but truth be told it could be any particle that hasn't previously been detected.

This is all in seriously preliminary stages so far and we are far from claiming to have finally detected the higgs boson, over the next six months we will find out more about all this, but right now you lot really are jumping the gun claiming we have officially detected the higgs boson.

This video will be of interest to you guys:

And PLEASE everyone stop calling it the 'god particle'. Really is a stupid name.
edit on 10/7/12 by blayze because: forgot something..

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 03:52 AM
link   
I for one Don't Care.

There is no real science here.. only theories which are guesses. The Higgs Boson won't give us the secrets of how the universe was created and it wont give us travel to other dimensions. . It may give Mankind a new type of weapon but that's about it.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 05:14 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

Scientific theories are not guesses. Please at least bother to understand the terminology before you try and bash it.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix
I for one Don't Care.

There is no real science here.. only theories which are guesses. The Higgs Boson won't give us the secrets of how the universe was created and it wont give us travel to other dimensions. . It may give Mankind a new type of weapon but that's about it.

You're extremely ignorant. Extremely extremely IGNORANT.

Please go get educated.

Then maybe you may realize it is thanks to physics that we have the modern world.

laser
transistor
electronic computer
television
radio
internet
microwave ovens
MRI scanning machines
GPS
Radar
Wireless Communication
WIFI
mobile phones
engines in all vehicles
cooling and heating systems
all engineering/infrastructure

All made possible or incredibly improved in one way or another through scientists studying physics.

People like you who think a theory is just a guess, that is so god damn ignorant i struggle to comprehend how people can be so short sighted, let me guess, you're middle class American?

I find it funny people like you don't fathom the understanding and knowledge these people have, and how deeply into this stuff they are, it's not like they just come up with some guess and give it a fancy name.

'There's no real science here'
Honestly, just shut up and you wont further embarrass yourself with your blatant ignorance.
edit on 10/7/12 by blayze because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
john_bmth, blayze

Oh Please, spare me your scientific religious dogma. They start with a hypothesis which is a mere guess and seek to prove it through observations via experimentation. If they think their observations proved the hypothesis they form a theory out of it. ( some theories like the Big Bang cannot even be experimented on yet believers fiercely defend it when there are so many other better ideas on the origins of the universe) Doesn't mean they are right have any truth or real facts (of which there are none) because often they have to keep changing their tunes when new information comes to light. Oh it's ever evolving never set in stone always claiming science is so Right when science just keeps chasing it's tail. And then you guys go and swallow this swill and regurgitate it as if your very belief system relies on it - you turned it into and follow a Religion called science. The funny thing is you are no different than the baptists or catholics and your truth is no more right or wrong than any God, but you just don't see it because your cult of science has closed your minds. ( generally speaking of most modern scientists that is)

Sure science gets lucky sometimes and is able to produce workable applications to use for everyday life but it is all based on guessing and observations. We have tons of tools from science that do work but are not really understood and sometimes they never work as hoped for - the point is science does not bring deeper understanding to the core issues because we still lack so much knowledge and are infants as a race. I simply don't believe the Higgs Boson is going to give us as much understanding as needed to know how the universe was created or travel to other dimensions. I think that's really Reaching - even for science. You don't give an infant a loaded gun.
edit on 10-7-2012 by JohnPhoenix because: sp

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Oh Please, spare me your scientific religious dogma. They start with a hypothesis which is a mere guess and seek to prove it through observations via experimentation.

Hardly a simple guess. Scientific hypothesis are derived from other phenomena of a similar variety, mathematical equations and other evidence which suggests the phenomena in study operates and/or exists in a particular way. No scientist grabs anything out of the air without having some sort of evidence to show that it would operate and/or exist in the way they are proposing.

If they think their observations proved the hypothesis they form a theory out of it.

This is mildly correct. Hypothesis graduate to theory status when more scientists begin to accept the original hypothesis (or the coagulation of hypothesis into one main one) when it has been supported by numerous tests and validations. Essentially a Scientific Theory is simply an accepted hypothesis.

( some theories like the Big Bang cannot even be experimented on yet believers fiercely defend it when there are so many other better ideas on the origins of the universe) Doesn't mean they are right have any truth or real facts (of which there are none# because often they have to keep changing their tunes when new information comes to light.

This is what the entire Large Hadron Collider was built for! #among other things# The Higgs Boson is our direct line to studying the Big Bang more directly. The Cosmic Microwave Background Radiation is what we have been studying as it is the very reason the original predictions of a Big Bang were set to a standard, along with the universes expansion and the effect of gravity and so on and so forth.

As for "changing their tune", of course this is what happens! The Big Bang theory #as well as every other scientific theory# is always up for refurbishments and change! That is why they are theories. If new evidence suggests that a specific phenomenon is actually formed/performing this way instead of our original explanation, then we alter our explanation to further our knowledge of said phenomenon. This is how science works. Nothing is finite, everything is relative. This is the fundamental concept of science at it's most basic level.

The funny thing is you are no different than the baptists or catholics and your truth is no more right or wrong than any God, but you just don't see it because your cult of science has closed your minds. # generally speaking of most modern scientists that is#

The mindset of scientists and anyone who accepts it's information is based solely on facts. What we know and what we don't know make up what we believe and how the system of science works. There is no requirement to accept any particular study of science, or theory, or even law. It is entirely up to the individuals perception. If you don't agree with the explanation of a specific phenomena then you are free to not agree with it. If you say it works differently, then you better have the evidence to back up your claims. A theory is generally accepted because the evidence points towards it's accurate explanation.

If other evidence says otherwise, and that is proven correct, then the theory must be changed to be more correct. This is the exact opposite of what standard religious mindset implies.

Originally posted by JohnPhoenixSure science gets lucky sometimes and is able to produce workable applications to use for everyday life but it is all based on guessing and observations.

No, it is based on predictions, observations, evidence and fact. There is no guessing. It is the very reason why we are able to produce the vaccine that will save your life tomorrow, and the reason we are able to accurately save your life the next year from a disease that doesn't exist yet. If things were as you say they are we would not have statistical evidence that shows the success of scientific progression.

Originally posted by JohnPhoenixI simply don't believe the Higgs Boson is going to give us as much understanding as needed to know how the universe was created or travel to other dimensions. I think that's really Reaching - even for science.

You are free to believe that if you think your observations lead to fact. However, these predictions are - yet again - not mere guesses. We can see with mathematics and observations through natural occurring phenomena that being able to alter mass can and will allow us to achieve all that I have listed in my original post.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join