It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man makes final payment on mortage with 62,000 pennies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
I love this story, and considering it was a bank, I find it hilarious.

He made a promise to his wife in 1977 and kept his word.. gotta luv this dude.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

Some people say they are redundant coins but one Massachusetts man proved that a penny can still go a long way - if you have enough of them, that is.

Thomas Daigle, of Milford, paid off the last installment of his mortgage with one cent coins, fulfilling a promise he made when he bought the house he and his wife Sandra bought in 1977.

He phoned ahead to warn staff at Milford Federal Savings and Loan Association, telling them he would be dropping off about 62,000 pennies weighing 800 pounds for his final payment.

The bank was '100 per cent for it,' he told The Milford Daily News, adding that he just wanted to make his last payment on April 24 'memorable'. 'It was something I wanted to do,' he said. 'I always follow through. I was just praying I didn’t die first.' Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Wonder how long it took them to count it and i'd imagine the poor guys face who had to count it and double check it wouldn;t of been happy especially if he had turned up 10 mins before the bank closed with 800lb's of coins to weigh

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Banks are equipped to deal with vast quantities of coinage. Hence, we call them "banks". If he had done this to a department store as opposed to a bank then it would have been a rebelious act. As is...no big deal.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Numbers33four
Banks are equipped to deal with vast quantities of coinage. Hence, we call them "banks". If he had done this to a department store as opposed to a bank then it would have been a rebelious act. As is...no big deal.

They were ok with it, but considering it is a bank there isn't much they can do..I suppose.

The point I was getting at was that he actually went to that length to keep a promise to his wife.

Have to admire a man who keeps his promises..

edit on 8-7-2012 by WhisperingWinds because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Numbers33four

He doesn't sound like he wanted it to be a big deal in that respect.
Like he says, he wanted to do something memorable. It's not a "screw you, banks!" type of scenario, just something fun and clever to celebrate his final payment.

I love it.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I wonder how he got a hold of 62,000 Pennies and how long did it take for him to gather them all up.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone
I wonder how he got a hold of 62,000 Pennies and how long did it take for him to gather them all up.

He started in 1977 ,

Daigle started saving his pennies when he moved into the home, gathering an average of 2.5 per day. On bad-weather days he would sort them into rolls of 50 and store them in steel military rocket launcher ammo boxes.

The optician says his wife of 35 years laughed whenever he would pick up a penny he found on the ground and say it was going to the mortgage.

Daigle said he is just glad to have the coins out of his house. He still picks up stray pennies off the street but now takes them to coin sorting machines instead.

'I’m too old to pick up those boxes of pennies,' he said, adding that he has replaced his hobby with creating a garden in the backyard.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

top topics

join