It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LOL British people! (The real Britain)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by TritonTaranis

no work for the kids these days, because people like you are happy for eastern europeans to take their jobs, DETOOKRJOBS.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I met the girl who was to be my wife of 29 years-today in 1980 and at that time, I was unemployed
recieving £1.99 unemployment benefit every two weeks. There was a recession on then in the UK
with millions looking for work and there were none of the benefits that are available today.
We were starting out with nothing.

I managed to get a job at a newspaper company in 1983, taking out the trash and cleaning toilets,
that was the job... but I stuck to it. I was laughed at by skilled employees and one chap even
considered that I must be mentally impaired -as to take on such a role. I told him to read the news
he was printing and got back to my job.

Every morning at 6.00am, I carried huge containers of trash down three-flights of stairs and
dragged them across a dark alleyway to make the garbage into bales.
I worked alone and relished every moment of it... I was working, I had standing.

I worked hard and showed the employer that I had disciplines, I was there early... 5.45am.
Not on time, early.

I helped anyone that needed helping and sometimes, this meant that overtime was created
and took every piece of it I could lay my hands on.
I kept my head down and hoped the job would last.
I brought in supplies, worked on the Printing Press and cleaned ancient toilets.
I chased rats around the Canteen, checked for bombs on Orange Day and fought hooligans that
wished to break in on Christmas Day.

Managers looked to me for my willingness to help and my discretion, I worked at their homes
and assisted with matters that were 'delicate'
There are times when males stray... and homes get broken because of it.
Not judging and not asking questions, I was trusted by strangers for money.

As technologies changed, I grew along side it, becoming proficient with computers and many different
softwares. After all, it was I that was humping the big boxes into the building with the heavy screens
and massive hardrives... I.T was just something getting started.

Vacancies appeared and I managed to get one at a desk, a treat where I could rest my aching back!
Again, working alone through the night, I was there New Year's Eve, New Year's Day and all the
other times that most folk were enjoying their families.
26 years and then redundant.

What did it all teach me?
Get a job, no matter what the pay is or what the difficulties are. Don't whine and DON'T look to
the Government teat for any help. Do the job to BETTER than your abilities, always go further and
always show that you care.

If you accept the principle that nobody is going to help you but yourself, then you may stand a chance.
Stealing is for mugs... taking short-cuts means you're gonna have to look in the mirror someday
and ask if your parents would be proud of you.

Yeah, they may toss you out onto the scrap heap after many years of loyal service, but kids... this
ain't a movie. You took the job for the money, you took the job to show that you weren't a waste of
space, you took the job to be an adult with respect.

Here endeth the lesson.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Well, we are not all scum as you make out, far from it.

I think the area you come from has obviously influenced your opinion.

Regards, Skellon.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   

What a load of tosh! So you think there are loads of jobs out there for young people but you think they're all too lazy or unreliable to take up a reasonable job offer? Chances are, the 5 you sacked weren't flogging themselves hard enough for you, or they were not prepared to take your bull# for your minimum wage. How about you? would you work like a polish person on minimum wage for long hours without complaint? I guess not. That's obvious because you're the one doing the hiring and firing. Stop complaining about the young people of this country. It's not their fault that there are little or no opportunities for them.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by TechUnique
The stereotype of British people is funny! Everyone I've asked seems to think all brits are posh, stuck up rich kiddies. The stuck up part may be correct for a lot of people but the posh, rich, docile jig is a load of tosh.

I remember a few years ago at school I was promised that as long as I worked hard I could do whatever I want as a career, I could do what I loved and make a comfortable living from it. What a load of tosh. I can't even get a job in a supermarket or Mcdonalds.

Interesting, I've never heard low/middle classes use the word tosh, only upper class;
English slang term meaning 'nonsense' i.e., utter Tosh

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by digitalf

The stereotype of British people is funny! Everyone I've asked seems to think all brits are posh, stuck up rich kiddies. The stuck up part may be correct for a lot of people but the posh, rich, docile jig is a load of tosh.

I remember a few years ago at school I was promised that as long as I worked hard I could do whatever I want as a career, I could do what I loved and make a comfortable living from it. What a load of tosh. I can't even get a job in a supermarket or Mcdonalds.

Interesting, I've never heard low/middle classes use the word tosh, only upper class;

Do you have to be 'upper class' to have an appreciation and a love of the language? No, you don't. As much as I disagree with the OP which seems to tar everyone with the same brush, you don't need to be nobled gentry to use the English language to its fullest.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by something wicked

Originally posted by digitalf

Do you have to be 'upper class' to have an appreciation and a love of the language? No, you don't. As much as I disagree with the OP which seems to tar everyone with the same brush, you don't need to be nobled gentry to use the English language to its fullest.

Wasn't suggesting for one second that any language, especially slang was reserved for any class, just making an observation.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Pardon?

You think I work for the sun newspaper?....................

I'm 20 years old and living in one of the most deprived towns in England, Hastings. Literally one of the most deprived towns economically and even socially.

I didn't even bother to read the rest of your post after you accused me of being something I despise. This is not sensationalism this is how I see the state of affairs around me.

Clue up.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   

reply to post by Pardon?

You think I work for the sun newspaper?....................

I'm 20 years old and living in one of the most deprived towns in England, Hastings. Literally one of the most deprived towns economically and even socially.

I didn't even bother to read the rest of your post after you accused me of being something I despise. This is not sensationalism this is how I see the state of affairs around me.

Clue up.

So why not make it clear you are describing the environment around you? That's not Britain, that's the town you live in. You will find similar examples in other parts of Britain, Europe, America - sheesh, anywhere!!! Do you think all Americans live in a 'Happy Days' or 'Friends' environment? Like it or not, you pandered to stereotypes, while making fun of people who believed the opposite end of the spectrum was true for Britain as a whole - you can't have it both ways.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by TechUnique

What a heap of bull# this post is. I live in England. I was brought up in a deprived council estate in the North East. I've never seen a kiddie raped or anyone stabbed. Yes it happens but very, very rarely, although newspapers like the Daily Mail would have us believe we live in a stinking cesspit of crime, drugs, and perversion.

We don't.

The vast, vast majority of people aren't into drugs or crime. They go to work, they get married, they live decent lives. This isn't Mexico. This is a civilised country and still relatively safe. As for your friends turning to crime because they can't get jobs, why? Tthis is a country where if you're unemployed you get benefits, free housing, you get fed, watered, you want for no basic needs. If criminals put as much effort into finding a job as they do into ripping people off, they'd be in employment in no time.The truth is there ARE jobs out there, you just have to want them more than the rest of the chumps out there.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by digitalf

tosh and pish (meaning; bollocks!)

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   

You Sir are a disgrace do
you pay less than the minimum wage too ?

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Speak for yourself..

My teeth are pretty nice for a Brit.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Here an example of the real Britain
and the hidden reasons for such high unemployment .

Cheap Labour?!

www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Troofseeker

Just calling it how I see it. And I don't like what I see. The youth are our future and that leads me to believe that the youth are the real Britain.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Yah but they sure have cute kids!

No you sound just like an American, Tech. I like the part about bad teeth. My whole family (largely of Brit heritage) inherited this trait everyone of us had braces. Now its slick though. Just a palate expander and boom, you've got a new face and mouth.

It ok to rant here on ATS. The world is not fair and its getting worse. A meeting of the minds is just what we need.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
you know what the english did in your situation 200+ years ago; they left and formed america.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Apologies for saying you work for the Sun < spit>.
I should have said The Mail.
And the fact that you "didn't even bother to read the rest of your post" gives me a major clue about your attitude and therefore a reason why you're unemployed.
Oh, and having lived in Hastings for a short while I can honestly say if you think that's deprived then you don't know you're born.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 04:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Pardon?

Hastings was an economic haven about 10 years ago.
Now its gone to #.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Troofseeker

What a heap of bull# this post is. I live in England. I was brought up in a deprived council estate in the North East. I've never seen a kiddie raped or anyone stabbed. Yes it happens but very, very rarely, although newspapers like the Daily Mail would have us believe we live in a stinking cesspit of crime, drugs, and perversion.

We don't.

The vast, vast majority of people aren't into drugs or crime. They go to work, they get married, they live decent lives. This isn't Mexico. This is a civilised country and still relatively safe. As for your friends turning to crime because they can't get jobs, why? Tthis is a country where if you're unemployed you get benefits, free housing, you get fed, watered, you want for no basic needs. If criminals put as much effort into finding a job as they do into ripping people off, they'd be in employment in no time.The truth is there ARE jobs out there, you just have to want them more than the rest of the chumps out there.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join