It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Migraines in children

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by CoolerAbdullah786

A work associate JUST told me he spent the night at the hospital because his kid has been having too many painful headaches. Then I come here and read the OP. Something's going on.

I do admit I've had more headaches lately also, though mild.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by nobodysavedme

nice racist double post. you talk about education, but when you throw out racist remarks it really shows how ignorant you really are.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
You definitly must pay attention to what she ate that day.
My favorite demons are MSG and Aspartame.
Read labels and learn the many aliases for MSG.
The food manufacturers have been increasing the amount they put in food for some time now.
It is reaching past the stage of tolerance for some people.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by OhZone

Definitely doing that, OhZone. Thanks.

I'll do what I can to find out what could be causing them. Like I said once a month isn't bad considering some have them way more frequently. I just don't want them to get worse and it's the puking that really bothers me.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   

I had migraines as a child but they seemed to stop once I hit my mid 20's. I have had maybe 3 since then so I've been very lucky and thankful that this is the case, however I still get headaches probably a lot more often than the average person.

Cheese, tannins and caffeine didn't really affect me as much, what had a greater affect was if a big storm was coming in. Even today, my head starts to ache and I just pray it starts to rain soon because I can feel a build up in my head and if there isn't a release soon enough and I have no ibuprofen on me, I'm a goner.

As well, make sure if she uses a computer she's sitting at it properly, from my experience, once I get my shoulders and neck tensed up, it travels up, starts a headache and if not nipped in the bud may trigger a migraine. Sad to say I always have ibuprofen on me because the second I get a headache I don't want it to escalate.

I really hope you can help pinpoint and minimize her migraines, I remember the pain and holing myself up in a dark room with a cold cloth my grandmother would tie as tight as she could around my head and I wouldn't wish that misery on anyone.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by canuckistanian

Well she does play games on the internet sometimes. If it happens again I'll have to see if she was playing games on days when it happens. Thanks for that.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Too much TV or games can do it too. Also helps to get the eyes checked out, I forgot about that one. Needing glasses and not having them can cause headaches too.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I agree with the aspartame comment. Apparently a lot of people are susceptible to the affects of aspartame. I know my daughter after chewing gum with aspartame would get headaches almost immediately. There are many articles relating headaches to products with aspartame.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Thanks. I'll look into getting her eyes checked also. Her mother and maternal grandmother both wear glasses. That could be.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dizrael

nice racist double post. you talk about education, but when you throw out racist remarks it really shows how ignorant you really are.

While the offending post was removed before I could see what it said, it is incorrect to label someone with "racist" opinions as ignorant.

Simply having an opinion that differs from yours doesn't make someone stupid or ignorant.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   
As someone who has had migraines ever since I was a little kid, the #1 trigger I have found that set mine off is caffeine.

When I was 18 I had a spinal tap due to migraines. Just last year I had both a CT scan and an MRI to check out whats going on with the arteries in my brain. I've been put on all of the popular anti migraine meds and found none of them have worked. Last year I began to include the herb feverfew in my diet, and while it does nothing once a migraine kicks in, I have noticed a reduction in frequency.

I also changed my pillow since I used to prefer a more firm pillow but I would wake up with a sore neck and mild headache that would increase in intensity throughout the day. I went with a softer, more flat pillow and I noticed that helped as well.

Once a migraine sets in, there is very little that can be done for the pain. Handfuls of various opiate based painkillers just made me throw up , and the only thing that helped in even the smallest way was just a cold, dark, and most importantly, quiet room.

It's hard for someone who has never had a migraine to understand what people who have them are forced to suffer through. My wife has never had a headache a day in her life, but she at least understands when I get one I need to be left alone so I can try to sleep it off.

OP, it is also documented that certain food colorings, especially red 40 can trigger migraines, so keep an eye on what your daughter eats as well.
edit on 10-7-2012 by FreeFromTheHerd because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   
double post, please remove this one mods.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by FreeFromTheHerd

Thanks. I'm going to go through this post and make a list of all of the suggestions. I truly appreciate it from everyone. This is exactly what I was hoping for when I originally posted this.

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by FreeFromTheHerd

Originally posted by Dizrael

While the offending post was removed before I could see what it said, it is incorrect to label someone with "racist" opinions as ignorant.

Simply having an opinion that differs from yours doesn't make someone stupid or ignorant.

they ARE either stupid or ignorant.

either A: they dont knbow better there for they are ignorant.

or B: they DO know better and still choose to shoot their mouth off, which makes them stupid and racist.

im not going to argue about the semantics of it anymore its been removed, obviously i wasnt the only one that thought it was racist. so back to the main point of the thread, if you want to argue this more, make your own thread.
edit on 11-7-2012 by Dizrael because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I suffered awful migraines during childhood and they only sparingly appear in adluthood.

The best treatment I have found is Treximet. The moment you or your child starts seeing the lights or gets the funny taste in their, your mouth, take the Treximet. It is a precise combination of Imitrex and Aleve and it works incredibly fast.

Best of luck. I know how criplling they can be. Worse than the worst toothache and one prays for death during a severe bout.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 12 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
This may seem a little off the wall but the fact your daughter (poor lass) vomits immediately after taking the pain killer put me in mind of the occurance of abdominal migraine. More common in children than in adults, it can feel like a 'headache in the tummy'.

If you are able to download BBCiplayer, you may be able to view a programme about how the stomach has a nerve nexus that links directly to the brain.

21:00 Guts: The Strange and... ...Mysterious World of the Human Stomach. Part of The Amazing Human Body. Michael Mosley swallows a camera to get a unique view of his innards digesting his food. Also in HD.

www.bleb.org...

Migraine Org UK has some useful info and links giving a lot of information for migraines and has a download, 'Migraine in Children' that you may find helpful.

www.migraine.org.uk...

(... download the 'Migraine in children and young people booklet' which includes further information on these conditions.)

Hope you find the site useful!

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Just want to thank everyone for the comments, suggestions, and well wishes.

UPDATE: Took my daughter to her yearly check-up on Thursday and talked to the doctor about her headaches. Because her grandmother had a pituitary gland tumor about 30 years ago (after she gave birth to my wife) they are going to give her a CT scan to make sure it's not anything like that.

We are closely monitoring her and watching for any headaches she may get. My wife said that our daughter had a headache last night when she was brushing her teeth for bed. So she had her go lie down since it was bed time anyway and she went right to sleep. No puking. My daughter said the headache wasn't that bad.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join