It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Migraines in children

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Ugh, when I was a kid, I used to get at least one a week. Up until a bit into puberty it kept up. The only thing I found worked was excedrine migraine, and taken before it actually hit. I had to figure out the signals that told me a migraine was coming, for me it was the back of my eyeballs started feeling pressured, and a metallic taste in my mouth. Good luck, once a migraine sets in, the only cure for me was sleep. Kinda hard to do when you have a migraine. I used to throw up as well when I had them. Any light or sound makes it unbearable.

Never found any triggers. Tried for years, cut out one thing at a time from my diet etc. Some people too much sugar will set one off for example, others dairy products.
edit on Sun, 08 Jul 2012 13:39:45 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by CoolerAbdullah786
reply to post by lonegurkha

Well see I wonder about food allergies also, but the thing is she eats almost the same stuff all the time. She really doesn't like a lot of variety haha. The one thing she constantly eats that is on the list of food triggers is cheese. I don't know if it would be a food allergy, though, because like I said it has only happened once a month for the past few months and she eats cheese constantly.

I have had migraines for about 16 years now. I dont have any specific triggers that I know of. I just get one about once a month. Have you tried giving her a childrens vitamin? Like the once a day gummies? If she doesn't have much variety in her diet she could have a B12 deficiency. Low B12(and other vitamins) is linked to migraines.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Thank you for all of the replies, everyone!

You all have given me some good advice and things to look into it. It is seriously appreciated. I'm most humbled by all of the support. My daughter, wife, and I all thank you.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by CoolerAbdullah786

Does she eat different varieties of cheese. If so, it could be one specific type.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by lonegurkha

She mainly eats cheddar cheese, but she also likes pizza rolls, cheese pizza, and mac and cheese.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Some of the possible triggers for migraines are things like chocolate and cheese (and she does love cheese). Her yearly check-up is in about a week and a half and we're going to discuss this with her doctor, but I'm also looking for any information I can for the time being.

Has anyone else experienced this with their children over the years?

yes.

why not cut the cheese and chocolate and FIND OUT or are you incapable of even a little backbone?

seriously.

my son had this and after cutting out various foods had no effect and him losing nearly 4 weeks at school being sent home after only 2 or 3 hours i tried the below device.

my son had this and i used microcurrents of about 5 days .total time was about 8 hours in total.

wet felts are placed behind the ears (attached to a headphone) and a current of less than 10 microamps is passed which reverses every 10 minutes using this device.

as the felt loses moisture due to evaporation the current gets less and less going down to about 0.1 microamp at the end of 2 hours.

about 7 days later the migraines stopped.no pain at all.

google antioxidant effects of microcurrents....

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by nobodysavedme

why not cut the cheese and chocolate and FIND OUT or are you incapable of even a little backbone?

Seriously there is absolutely no reason for you to come on this thread and acting like an asshole. OF COURSE I'm cutting those things out to see if they have any effect. Please point to me where I said I wasn't going to or where I lacked a little backbone.

You know I came on here to get advice from people because I'm seeking a bit of peace of mind before I take her to her doctor's appt. There's always gotta be someone who has to ruin it with their condescending attitude.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   

It's known but most of the time it starts when somebody is a teenager like I was or a young adult.

Vomiting works because it's a way of resetting the brain. You might want to teach your daughter to inform you when she starts feeling "strange"; this is the warning that the veins are going to become constricted later and thus creating the migraine pain. When feeling strange the veins are wide. A teensy bit of coffee might help here.

When too late, hot pad on feet and belly and cold wet cloth under neck/on forehead. Also a way of resetting.

Good luck!

edit on 9-7-2012 by QueenofWeird because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by QueenofWeird

Thanks, Queen. We'll look into using a wet washcloth if there's a next time, insha'Allah. But coffee? For a five year old? :-) Most medical websites say that coffee could be a food trigger for migraines so I don't know if that would be a good idea.

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
You should definitely consider the smells in your environment.

Fabric softeners, detergents, air fresheners and "scented" everything can make the air in your home quite toxic, especially if your child has chemical sensitivities that may be undiagnosed. Once you rid the house of these things - change your air filters. Give it a week or two and see if she is doing better. I'd be willing to bet it will at least help.

www.sciencedaily.com...

www.sciencedaily.com...

seattletimes.nwsource.com...

Good luck.

edit on 7/9/2012 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   

I am pretty sure the jolt of caffiene opens up the capilaries in the brain to recieve the asprin etc better. Most migraine medicines do include a jolt of it, excedrine migraine is acetaminophen, aspirin, and caffeine. Coffee by itself never helped me, but caffiene does seem to be necessary in the pills.

Oh yeah, the cold wet washcloth over the eyes and temples does help a bit for me. Some people prefer it warm though, like my aunt. Other than that, only thing I can suggest is a really heavy window shade, that totally blackens the room.
edit on Mon, 09 Jul 2012 18:26:56 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   
i have suffered migraines since i was about 8 or so. EVERY one of mine can be linked to phsical exertion when i didnt have enough water. not really dehydrated, but not enough for whatever i was doing. i know they were migraines because i get whats called an aura in 1 or both eyes. its a clear "squiggly" going across my vision. when i get thaat its pretty inevitable the pain is on its way. i have a disolvable pill (maxalt) i take to counteract it some. maybe ask her if she sees the auras might help you (and her) combat the migraines.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 02:45 AM
link   

Seriously there is absolutely no reason for you to come on this thread and acting like an asshole. OF COURSE I'm cutting those things out to see if they have any effect. Please point to me where I said I wasn't going to or where I lacked a little backbone.

You know I came on here to get advice from people because I'm seeking a bit of peace of mind before I take her to her doctor's appt. There's always gotta be someone who has to ruin it with their condescending attitude.

Well that is your fault.

You mentioned the chocolate and cheddar.

Right?

Now you mention you cut them out?

You made us waste our time.

Why mention them in the first place if you cut them out and it made no difference?

Tell us.

you seem to be incapable of writing clearly or cogently or to the point.

Maybe a lesson in writing clearly is something you desperately need.

l

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Well that is your fault.

Right?

Why mention them in the first place if you cut them out and it made no difference?

Tell us.

l

not to point fingers at people that dont write very clearly. but you could use some english AND typing lessons.

when i read the OP i was under the assumption that the cheese and chocolate WERE cut down and it didnt help, so its YOUR fault if you didnt understand that.

and by the way, you are being an A-hole.
edit on 10-7-2012 by Dizrael because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   

reply to post by Dizrael

no

it is your fault for not writing clearly and making people waste their time.

i dont use grammer/punctatation cos i am very busy unlike people like who spend all day slouched in front of cable tv watching and beleeving corpporate liees.

some people work for a living unlike welfare parasites.

well first of all, not my post. so try again with it being my fault. dummy.

second, punctuation, propper grammar and spelling... maybe take some time out of your busy day wanking it to make your posts understandable.

third, i dont believe you DO work for a living, you have no tact, people skills, and you cant convey your point logically, AT ALL.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Well that is your fault.

Right?

Tell us.

l

Wow. It's my fault you are acting like a total jerk? And I didn't come here to "waste anyone's time." I came here because I'm worried about my daughter and trying to get answers from people who may have experienced these things. Yes I cut the cheese and chocolate out but that was also the same day I posted this. If it's such a waste of time then don't even bothering commenting. All you are doing is coming across like an arrogant ass.

Perhaps the problem isn't my writing. Perhaps it's your ability to understand? Whatever. I'm done with you. Clearly you just want attention and only care about tearing people down. Absolutely pathetic that you have to do it to someone who is concerned about his daughter's well-being.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Dizrael

Diz, just ignore him. Clearly he's here just to start trouble, be insulting, and take the thread completely off-topic. I mean bringing up people on welfare?

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   

he's pretty good at trolling it seems.

posted on Jul, 10 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
edit on 10-7-2012 by nobodysavedme because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join