It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No place in Berkeley for police armored car

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   

It turns out that a massive, armor-plated vehicle rumbling around town as it wards off bad guys' bullets doesn't quite project the image that city and university leaders in Berkeley are shooting for.

Not that this should be much of a surprise - at least according to those who were initially surprised about the idea even coming up.

City and UC Berkeley officials announced Thursday that they, along with their counterparts in the city of Albany, have canceled a joint request for a $170,000 Armored Emergency Rescue Vehicle from a federally affiliated nonprofit group. Berkeley Mayor Tom Bates said the big question wasn't whether local police could find such a vehicle useful - but why in the world the application was made to begin with.

"When we found out about this grant application we sort of went ballistic," Bates said Thursday. "I mean, why do we need this here in Berkeley, and why would we want to militarize our police force?"

www.sfgate.com...

This is fantastic! I mean, we have to start somewhere right? Turning the tide on the ever-encroaching police state will be hard but this shows it CAN be done.

The reality is that these machines of war were researched and funded by tax dollars flowing to the MIC. Now these same machines are being turned on the citizens that helped pay for them. Most technology exported into theaters of war ends up being used at home.

But, at least this time, not in Berkeley. Kudos to their Mayor.

We can all learn from this.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
They just gave a 162.500$ settlement for falsely arresting a journalist who was covering a protest. So they might be bit tight on the money. I do understand that they would've gotten the federal grant for it. Not sure if that would've covered the whole cost.

PINAC
edit on 8/7/2012 by PsykoOps because: Darn hell %!#% typos

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by KillerQueen

I live in Oakland, which borders on Berkeley. I've had plenty of laughs at their expense. If there is a city that could be labeled as the most liberal in the country, Berkeley would be it. (This is the first time I've ever applied the label of "liberal" to anything.)

However, I agree that this is a good thing. There is a very bad trend of militarizing police forces across the country--without a balancing force (civilian oversight) or rational reason for doing so. I mean, other than the fact that police forces just want to have overwhelming weaponry in reserve--but that's not really rational.

So I gotta hand it to Berkeley for holding the line on this one....
edit on 7/8/2012 by Ex_CT2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by KillerQueen

you have GOT to be kidding us. There are two places where masses of people erupt into destructive mobs: In the ghettos and on university campuses. Berkeley, being a harbor for leftist students and staff, would be the first place one of those units would be sent.

Don't go pegging me as this or that in politics, religion or ideology. I'm merely stating a simple fact.

new topics

top topics

join