It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hypothetical question regarding mexican drug cartels

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Speaking hypothetically, if all the illegal drugs were to dissappear off the face off the earth in an instant (dont ask me how, just imagine an Anti-Drug God
, what do you think would happen with all the drug cartels? Do you think they would eventually disband and the violence in Mexico, and especially Juarez, would lessen? Or would these drug cartels continue fighting with each other for the hell of it and the murders would continue? Would they always find some excuse to fight over, even though there would be no gain or profits?

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 02:55 AM
link   
they would still fight over what ever is illegal, under age prostitution, general theft, gambling. drugs are not the only thing criminals make money off of, as long as things are illegal there will be criminals to push it.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 02:59 AM
link   
There would probably be some new synthetic drug to take the old one's place. If they just legalized it, their problems would at least be smaller. I remember they were planning to do that, but the U.S. said no. Why they would listen to us makes no sense to me. I guess we lobbied against it. It's big business.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by DocHolidaze
they would still fight over what ever is illegal, under age prostitution, general theft, gambling. drugs are not the only thing criminals make money off of, as long as things are illegal there will be criminals to push it.

I wouls have to agree with Doc's statement. Even if Mexico's Economy would improve by leaps and bounds, these people in the cartels would continue with their "ways".

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 03:54 AM
link   
You are missing an )

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by croatianguy
Speaking hypothetically, if all the illegal drugs were to dissappear off the face off the earth in an instant (dont ask me how, just imagine an Anti-Drug God
, what do you think would happen with all the drug cartels? Do you think they would eventually disband and the violence in Mexico, and especially Juarez, would lessen? Or would these drug cartels continue fighting with each other for the hell of it and the murders would continue? Would they always find some excuse to fight over, even though there would be no gain or profits?

It's either the 'Anti-Drug God', or rather... the Pro-Drug God, considering the legalization of the drugs that they sell would undoubtedly take wind out of their sails.

They would then step it up a notch, in regards to violent crimes, extortion, and corruption.... although, I bet it would have an exhausting effect on them. Ultimately, they would probably become their own worst enemies, exposing themselves more as they can no longer hide behind the masks of the suppression of drug use. It's easy enough to make a bunch of money, working behind doors selling to drug dealers than it is to actually go out and take the money from people. That all depends on how sophisticated the group is though... you got mobs, religions, and elites that differ in their potential IMO.

There's always an excuse, a fear, or a desire to fight for, they will continue to fight over anything... especially profits, just like the rest of the world.

In the long run, I think it would dissolve the Cartels much quicker if drugs were to disappear... not implying that they wouldn't become more 'active' in their pursuits. But, as long as things are illegal, there's a black market for it... I suppose there will forever be a 'cartel'. A majority of their money does come from drugs, remove the profit margin, or the drug completely... and you just cut the head off the snake.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 04:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Numbers33four
You are missing an )

We've got a (Parenthesis) nazi in our midst

Back on Topic - Doc is on the money. That is not to say that the current level of violence might diminish somewhat. But there will always be some type of crime to 'manage' and beheadings would still be the order of the day.

Peace Out

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Then what would be the solution to stop the problem? If taking away or legalizing the drugs wont stop them, what is the real solution? Is just killing them all and wiping them out the only viable option then? Considering they are hardened criminals, I am sure they are beyond any rehabilitation or re-education.
edit on 8-7-2012 by croatianguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by croatianguy

With no drugs to ship to US, the cartels would fall apart from lack of an income. The second week the whole country of Mexico would lay down and die because drug money is what keeps it afloat--Nothing else. Mexico is dying because of lack of foresight to keep the government-owned oil industry working to develop new oil fields. It has no future these days except for the continuationof the drugs/cartel profits.

Everybody and everything in Mexico is corrupt. Think in terms of the way the mafia controlls New York and Jersey and magnify that by a million times and imagine also that their enforcers are absolutel savages.

Since all levels of Mexican government are inept, under-funded and controlled from the outiside, there is little hope for Mexico. That is why the war on drugs has not been persued with our nearby friends south of the border. To stop or greatly eliminate the drugs would be bad news to every American taxpayer because our government would rush in with tons of money and probably want to adopt Mexico as a new territory.

Most of you cannot understand that we must allow the cartels to support their version of the Mexican government and economy. If not we will have a massive, massive refugee problem into this country as that country collapses.

We could not pour enough money into Mexico to stem that flow. The southwest US would be up in arms against the refugees AND the US government. The US government would not adequately seal the border as it does not now do so. Frustrated, the southwest states would become a war zone, taking the problem up in their own ways. As a result the US government would work against the states and with the invasion for "humanitarian reasons." In short, the cartels and drugs (and Mexico itself) are allowed to continually be supported by money flowing south from willing US users. That is the cheapest "fix" even for us non-users.

top topics

join