It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How many people never make it to the news video cause of the commercial?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Can't count the times ive scene some newsworthy event link that peaked my interest especially on Yahoo & you don't realize its a video story - like sunken treasure or a newly discovered mosiac in Israel & you click on the story & its a video story & your like damn and you go i aint sitting through this commercial to see it.

& Yahoo is so stupid they give you a timer of how long the commercial is & you lose interest in like 5 seconds when the commercial is 30 seconds. lol

I'm probably alot dumber cause i can't sit threw their regit commercials for Oldsmobiles or whatever but i never make it to the story.

Peace

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by BABYBULL24

I just automatically assume there will be a stupid ad so I click, go grab a glass of water and it's always on when I get back.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   
I almost always have ATS open in a second "tab" so I can continue reading threads while waiting through commercials. Having a second tab open (with ATS) does not stop the sound from the other "tabs" so I can hear when the commercials are over and just switch back to the video to watch.

Hope this can be helpful.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Commercials? What are they?

*cough* adblockplus *cough*

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChaoticOrder

Doesn't work for any of the videos I watch, it will tell you to disable any Add blocking software to continue....

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 01:48 AM
link   
for youtube if it has ads, I always give it a negative no matter how I feel about the content of the video.
Any of the other I generally won't click.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by mileysubet

Doesn't work for any of the videos I watch, it will tell you to disable any Add blocking software to continue....
You must be doing something wrong then...

My, uh, friend who uses these ad-blockers, hasn't seen an ad in over a year...

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by ArrowsNV

Originally posted by mileysubet

You must be doing something wrong then...

My, uh, friend who uses these ad-blockers, hasn't seen an ad in over a year...

What does your "friend" do to prevent the You tube adds? an inquiring mind would like to know. Oh and NetFLix just kicks me out and says it canot continue my playback until the adblockers are disabled...
edit on 8-7-2012 by mileysubet because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by mileysubet

Hmmm... I never get ads on YouTube. Try using NoScript with AdBlockPlus. Make sure to allow YouTube and any core YouTube domains... everything else needs to be blocked out. Works for me, I haven't seen an ad on YouTube... well, ever. I didn't even know they started putting ads on their videos until one day I browsed YouTube on another PC.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Hehe nah doesn't work for embedded flash adverts that stream just the same as the content you're trying to watch.

Adblock isn't taboo on yahoo, no need to cough about it

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 04:36 AM
link   
You can always use your hosts file to manually block certain websites if the content comes from a different source than the video you're watching. Then it can't tell if you've got an ad blocker installed.

Google and yahoo as so damn rich it's disgusting that they force people to watch adverts.

posted on Jul, 8 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by mainidh

Hehe nah doesn't work for embedded flash adverts that stream just the same as the content you're trying to watch.
Yes it does work, because I never gets ads on YouTube or Yahoo videos, and both of them stream ads in their videos. All I ever see is a nice pure video which starts immediately. AdBlockPlus does it I think, but NoScript also helps block out any external content. It does work and I know for a fact because I've been doing it for years. Make sure that when you install AdBlockPlus you get one of the subscriptions, that will give ABP all the info it needs to remove certain complex adverts such as the ones which appear in flash videos.

You can always use your hosts file to manually block certain websites if the content comes from a different source than the video you're watching. Then it can't tell if you've got an ad blocker installed.
Ummm, it's much easier to simply use and as blocker, I hardly ever have a website notice I'm using one, I can't remember the last time it happened, but if they do it's just because I still have scripts disabled on their domain, and the warning is simply a variant of the HTML noscript warning, they have no other way of knowing you have an ad blocker installed. There's no point to get all messy and edit the host file when an ad blocker can do the exact same thing much quicker and with much less trouble.
edit on 8/7/2012 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join