It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How 1 man derailed 20 years of democracy in Mali

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Stories like this illustrates Real Life:

SEGOU, Mali (AP) — On the morning three months ago when the fate of Mali was irrevocably changed, Mamadou Sanogo awoke in the house here where he and his wife had raised six children, including a 39-year-old son, now a captain in the nation's army.

It was still dark outside. The elderly man got up and turned on the TV, setting the volume to low so as to not disturb his sleeping wife, according to relatives and friends. What he saw next made him shake her awake. "Come see what your imbecile son is doing," he yelled.

news.yahoo.com...

all the talk in these threads about they, or them is obnoxious:

it's us...it's you...

but under no circumstances will the general population reveal the truth of the situation.

why is that?

why won't anyone address this problem?

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Can any of you on this entire site imagine what it would be like to watch your own children on television overthrowing the Government of the country you live in...for no other reason, but because they can do it because they are your children?

This is classic reality television at its best.

Please...if anyone on this entire site including its owners can give a better example of a spoiled brat...please post it now.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   
whoa.... so this random guy in the army just was like: lets overthrow our system, and everyone was like: "ok"

?????

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   
From Article.

A poll of 1,100 residents of the capital found that after the initial shock, about 60 percent were either "satisfied" or "very satisfied" with the coup because it put an end to a regime viewed as corrupt.

"Our democracy? It was a facade," said 54-year-old Soumara Kalapo, who took part in pro-coup demonstrations after the putsch. "Our democracy needed this coup so that it could right itself. ... It was a democracy run by, and benefiting, a mafia."

Don't know what to say. Anytime a coup happens, in these third world nations, you see this. Maybe the Mother and Father, can talk some sense into their son.

S&F

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by SoymilkAlaska

not a random guy...a child and citizen of Mali decided one day to topple his own Government for no other reason than because he could do it and had no idea of what to do after the first move.

didn't you read the article?

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   
No the son of the president of Mali, decided to overthrow the government, just in time for his parents to watch it on the Nations TV news network. And pretty much threw tactics learned from the West, toppled two decades of what is pretty much the foundation of any nation trying to grow up.

I cannot find another example of a spoiled brat than this...

Just wild, and now 15 million people have to deal with this as well. And this just happened like a bad midnight craving.

He was trained at the Air forces Basic training facilities, went off to become an officer in VA, then off to some casual light armor training in CA. You know, basic things any guy who's not in America should know, duh.
edit on 7-7-2012 by Moneyisgodlifeisrented because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

' a mafia'....what the hell is that supposed to mean?

I will admit..the Mali coup has been relatively free of the type of bloodshed you see in any country in the Middle East or in Africa along the Atlantic Coast.

considering however that Mali has lost the entire northern portion of their country and a counter-coup ended up with the interim President being beaten by an unruly mob while in the Palace and sent out of country for treatment..its safe to say that this wasn't well thought out.

the real point is...are people in their right minds or are they just doing things for 15 minutes of fame?

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by michaelbrux
reply to post by sonnny1

' a mafia'....what the hell is that supposed to mean?

I will admit..the Mali coup has been relatively free of the type of bloodshed you see in any country in the Middle East or in Africa along the Atlantic Coast.

considering however that Mali has lost the entire northern portion of their country and a counter-coup ended up with the interim President being beaten by an unruly mob while in the Palace and sent out of country for treatment..its safe to say that this wasn't well thought out.

the real point is...are people in their right minds or are they just doing things for 15 minutes of fame?

Reality TV.

The violence will come. It happens in EVERY coup,that has a military power base.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

actually the military of Mali gave up the entire northern portion of the country without firing a single shot, an area the size of Texas from what I've been reading, to the Taureg rebels that have no jobs after Gaddafi died, and their Islamic allies who subsequently betrayed them for Islam and are in Timbuktu burning down UNESCO sites at present.

you've got to appreciate the domino effect in this case if no other.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
seriously...people need to start talking out loud into personal tape recorders first and then playing back their speeches out loud to themselves before they act...to hear how they sound.

you may save more lives this way.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Sometimes, however, the adverse effects of the U.S. government’s imperialist and interventionist foreign policy manifest themselves immediately. A good example of that is now occurring in the African country of Mali.

Recall President Obama’s humanitarian military intervention in Libya. That was where U.S. bombs and missiles killed people with the aim of bringing democracy to those who survived the death and destruction. Never mind that the country is now mired in all sorts of kidnappings and shootings. Not exactly a paradise.

In any event, after Libyan President Muammar Gaddafi ’s fall, foreign fighters known as the Tuareg, who had been supporting Gaddafi , escaped the country but not before grabbing lots of high-powered weaponry from Qaddafi’s arsenal. The fighters returned to Mali, where they joined an armed insurgency against the democratically elected government. Immediately, the tide began turning in favor of the rebels, thanks to the weaponry and fighting skills that the Tuareg fighters had brought with them.

The rebel successes on the battlefield motivated a Mali army captain named Amadou Haya Sanogo to institute a military coup against the Mali regime. It seems that the captain was acting in the interests of national security because he believed that the civilian regime was incapable of saving the country from the insurgents.

This might come as a blow for the U.S. Empire and its global “war on terrorism” because according to this article in the New York Times about the coup, “Mali and the United States have had close military ties in recent years as part of America’s counterterrorism programs.”

Source

One man's freedom fighter is another man's terrorist.

Here is another view of that story which provides some context which is counter to the AP version.

Peace

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by michaelbrux

That domino effect, will take its toll. Then, you will have more deaths. Its sad actually. If your going to have change, make sure you have 90% of your ducks, in a row, when it comes time to implement it.MHO

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

its not going to take its toll over here...any more than it already has.

even still you have to be amazed at the ability at others' inability to find their own errors in the actions of others.

it must be nice to know you are never wrong.

what's that like?

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by zroth

is one person's idiot another man's genius?

can I get a source for this?

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by zroth

Why am I not surprised? Always good to see the other side of the story to derail the shill train.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   

is one person's idiot another man's genius?

Glenn Beck seems to be an acceptable answer, or Obama or Romney, etc;

can I get a source for this?

If you want a source to my quote, it is in my response. If this was just sarcasm, refer to the sources sited above.

peace

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   

reply to post by sonnny1

its not going to take its toll over here...any more than it already has.

Sure it can.

It could get MUCH worse.

Rwanda worse.

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by zroth

who are these people you site?

are they reputable?

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
The Op's article is from yahoo, which got the info and was reported by in some part from Associated Press writer Baba Ahmed contributed to this report from Bamako, Mali.

Which is yahoo, as much as I don't want to credit yahoo, I am since they got it from the source.

But then you have the other side of the story from, mwcnews.net... : Jacob Hornberger is founder and president of the Future of Freedom Foundation. not to mention their site isn't fully functional. Try the Contact Us part.

which can be found here fff.org...
They have books on tape an other things to help keep freedom free, but the tapes aren't free

Of whom I haven't a clue in the world who this is.

So, I'll go with the account from an Eyewittness
edit on 7-7-2012 by Moneyisgodlifeisrented because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

What's Rwanda? is its last name Stephens, by chance?

if so...its not much to be concerned with.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join